Jimmy Gwilt - Best 22

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milton66
SS Life Member

Richter wrote:
Gwilt plays as a medium bodied CHF. In a team that has the third highest points for in the comp. he is averaging 0.36 goals per game. That is not enough IMO.

I'd like a bit more tackling, a few more possessions, a few more goal assists, a lot more marks inside 50 and a lot more goals.

He keeps his spot because it is the only position on the ground where there is no real competition for spots. That is part of the reason we picked up Lynch as our first round draft pick. In retropsect, how much happier would we have currently been if we had picked up Jack Riewoldt in the 2006 draft instead of David Armitage.
This is where we'll part ways. What you want him to do, what he actually does, and what the coach requires him to do are 3 totally different arguments.

Sure, we'd like to see every player get 30+ touches and kick 5 goals each every week. But it ain't gonna happen.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
reincarnated

Milton66 wrote:
Richter wrote:
Gwilt plays as a medium bodied CHF. In a team that has the third highest points for in the comp. he is averaging 0.36 goals per game. That is not enough IMO.

I'd like a bit more tackling, a few more possessions, a few more goal assists, a lot more marks inside 50 and a lot more goals.

He keeps his spot because it is the only position on the ground where there is no real competition for spots. That is part of the reason we picked up Lynch as our first round draft pick. In retropsect, how much happier would we have currently been if we had picked up Jack Riewoldt in the 2006 draft instead of David Armitage.
This is where we'll part ways. What you want him to do, what he actually does, and what the coach requires him to do are 3 totally different arguments.

Sure, we'd like to see every player get 30+ touches and kick 5 goals each every week. But it ain't gonna happen.
Jack Reiwoldt would not be getting a game with us, he has not filled out as either a hard bodied player or a good strong tall

We have both playing and i would prefer james gwilt than reiwoldt in the current position

Gwilt doesn't get much of the ball as there are 4-5 better options going forward, surely that is a good thing, whoever is replacing Gwilt will have the same problem. To me its about the work he does and the quality when he gets the footy, which isn't bad

Milton66
SS Life Member

LOL, we tried 3 talls already didn't we? Roo, Kosi and Gtrain. Worked a treat IIRC.

Outside of Roo and Kois, everyoe else will be a bit player with a specific role to help those two get one out.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

so who would you leave out, milton, presuming that gilbert, milne and gardiner are ins this week?

Simon Templar
Club Player

Good position to be in though, boyos, don't you think? I've enjoyed reading most of these posts.......from a very comfortable possy. I'm sort of a Milton sympathiser re this issue.

11 zip.....life's good. Could we do better? Jimmy G. is part of the team that's taken us to 11 zip........I think the best St. Kilda team I've ever seen.

I don't know if Bakes could do the job that Jim's doing on the forward line but I'll bet he could rack up more goals, if that's what's been sought........more goal kickers.

Go you good things....!!!
reincarnated

bigcarl wrote:so who would you leave out, milton, presuming that gilbert, milne and gardiner are ins this week?
king, raph and geary - no idea the third just picked one

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
bigcarl wrote:so who would you leave out, milton, presuming that gilbert, milne and gardiner are ins this week?
king, raph and geary - no idea the third just picked one
geary would be stiff. but whoever goes out will be.

Milton66
SS Life Member

Raph
Baker
King

A massive fan of Baker, but I think the changes in the game have caught him out, as they have Goose, and even Barry Hall.

Smaller fwds are now more mobile, and so are key fwds, so you now need a new breed of defender.

Modern game plans also dictate that you need to be able to create run from the back half.

Unfortunately, Baker is too slow for a fwd possie IMO, and he has to displace Schneids and Milne.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

who gets betts and would baker's omission make our defence too tall?

Milton66
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:who gets betts and would baker's omission make our defence too tall?
Dunno to be honest. And if Dempster gets some fitness, it will get even more complicated.

Is Geary defensive enough?

Will Betts turn Baker inside out?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:Will Betts turn Baker inside out?
possibly, but he's just as likely to do it to blake or max, being small and having pace.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 10 Jun 2009 6:35pm, edited 1 time in total.

Milton66
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Milton66 wrote:Will Betts turn Baker inside out?
possibly.
That's my real concern, unless you give him to CJ, and let someone else take Judd.

Then again, if Betts plays deep, do you watse CJ in defence?

allanrich

saintjake wrote:i think alot of you are blinded from your purer distaste for gwilt.
if you actually watch the games, he lays blocks, which get roo, kosi and
s-man free.
give him more time, we have nothing to gain by dropping him.
and are 11 and 0
he could become a very nice player.
not comparing them, but very much of the ROK mould. (who btw, only av. jsut over a goal a game i think from memory)
Just need Gwilt to lay tackles better - his biggest weakness - players dispose the ball or break his tackle to often

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

allanrich wrote:players dispose the ball or break his tackle to often
agree, he needs to back his undoubted bodily strength and really make those tackles stick. and kick more goals.