Pou

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mickey
Club Player

Pou

Have I got your attention ? Sorry to do this on this forum but if I can spread a message and maybe save one person then I'll take the flack for doing so. It's bowel cancer awareness week, I'm 54 and finally sent my first test in (that means I had 2 hidden in my cupboard). My test came back positive and I had to wait 2 weeks for a colonoscopy, I Dr googled and convinced myself I was dying and I'll never get to see a Saints premiership!!! The good news is I'm all good and the colonoscopy wasn't that bad. I promised the nurse that I'd spread the word so this is what I'm doing. 5 of mates have now promised they'd finally send their test in and I'm sure there's some long suffering Sainters out there that are putting it off. Once again I'm sorry but you will feel better if you do it....Go Sainters !!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Pou

I had the same experience a couple of years back. Couple of polyps cut out. Worth doing for likely peace of mind.

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

There's a marketing opportunity here for Mark Phillipousis if I ever saw one

Maybe Mattaes could do an ad specifically targeted at Saints supporters

shanegrambeau
Saintsational Legend

Same deal.

Didn't have my first colonoscopy until about 50.
They removed two nasty polyps...the not good ones...since then I go every couple of years and regularly have the least nasty ones. Sorry for the detail.

Brother in law, colon cancer (metatsisized sp.) diagnosed at 49 after a family trip. Lived for 14 months. 2 teen kids.

So I would say to everyone under 50, do not wait.

Colonoscopy.

You're quite brilliant Shane, yeah..terrific!
mickey
Club Player

Thanks big carl and shanegrambeau for seeing my message for what it was. Scollop ... not sure where you're going with that .... each to their own.

mickey
Club Player

Thanks big carl and shanegrambeau for seeing my message for what it was. Scollop ... not sure where you're going with that .... each to their own.

Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

I've got a friend in her mid thirties, a school teacher and mum of two young boys who was diagnosed with bowel cancer less than a year ago. She has since undergone chemo, radiation and surgery on both lobes of her liver only to be told last week there appears to be a 5 cent sized node on a lung.

Initially doctors dismissed her as being "too young" to have bowel cancer and suggested she had Krohn's disease! Had she listened to them she wouldn't be here now, she just demanded more answers. The moral of her story is bowel cancer is not confined to the over 60's. If you don't feel right, get the problem seen to ASAP. And if you receive a test kit in the mail, use it and return it in the same week. We can't afford to lose any Saints supporters.

Saint supporter since '62
mickey
Club Player

Thanks Trev. It's a confronting subject, my sister has crohns and I had a polyp. I promised the nurse I'd spread the message and I think if people knew that you can have a positive bowel test result and be fine then they won't stress like I did for 2 weeks waiting for a colonoscopy. I'm a big chicken so hopefully a lot of Sainters read this and feel better about doing the test.