RTB gets shirty

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

RTB gets shirty

Brisbane Lions d St Kilda

Harris Andrews was brilliant down back. Eric Hipwood was lively with four goals. Lachie Neale won nine clearances. And yet, the Lions would have been only 10 points up on the Saints early in the final term, if not for Oscar McInerney’s fingernails. They still have Daniel Rich, who has struggled with a calf issue this season, Jack Gunston and Dayne Zorko out from their best side, but Brisbane need to find another level if they want to win the flag. Ultimately, we won’t know whether the Lions have it in them until the finals arrive, which they will undoubtedly be part of again. The same cannot be said – at least with any certainty – about Ross Lyon’s Saints. St Kilda’s coach got a bit shirty when it was pointed out the Saints were treading a similar path to last year, when they started strongly, then slumped. They have lost four of their past five matches, and were lucky to outlast the wayward Swans in that period. St Kilda have West Coast next, and the Eagles are the perfect remedy for a slump. - Marc McGowan

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Re: RTB gets shirty

What was lucky about beating the Swans?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Trev from the Bush
SS Life Member

magnifisaint wrote: Mon 26 Jun 2023 3:20pm What was lucky about beating the Swans?
No luck at all. We dominated the last quarte and ran all over them.

Just more proof the AFL has more accredited talking heads than registered players.

Saint supporter since '62
mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Trev from the Bush wrote: Mon 26 Jun 2023 3:23pm
magnifisaint wrote: Mon 26 Jun 2023 3:20pm What was lucky about beating the Swans?
No luck at all. We dominated the last quarte and ran all over them.

Just more proof the AFL has more accredited talking heads than registered players.
That's right
Always enjoy watching the replay after a win , the nervous energy is gone and you can analyse the game more .
The Sydney game was a tough contest by both sides. It reminded of our practice game versus Melbourne with a difference. They dominated because their pressure caused us to turn it over whereas ours didn't. So they won easily.
In the Sydney game both teams were turning it over equally in the first half due to the other's pressure . So the game looked scrappy.
After half time we had better control of the game and in the end probably should have won by at least 4 goals.

In red white and black from 73
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Where’s the evidence he got shirty??
Not in the presser I watched??
Talk about a beat up.
Thread worthy?

“Yeah….nah””
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Huge beat up but I recall he was asked in a previous presser about the drop off last year and he waved it off flippantly, like it was ancient history. Wouldnt call it shirty under any definition of the word.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 27 Jun 2023 12:05am Huge beat up but I recall he was asked in a previous presser about the drop off last year and he waved it off flippantly, like it was ancient history. Wouldnt call it shirty under any definition of the word.
Correct
He pointed out you can’t compare teams/seasons then made the point this sides had the worst injury list and won games off the back of kids first half this year…
Regardless, he acknowledged that’s the narrative he’ll wear …people (many on here) are waiting for him to fail on W/L so they can say the Board made a mistake removing Ratten
That’s simplistic in my view but that satisfies some on here (not suggesting you btw)

“Yeah….nah””
Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote: Tue 27 Jun 2023 12:23am
Otiman wrote: Tue 27 Jun 2023 12:05am Huge beat up but I recall he was asked in a previous presser about the drop off last year and he waved it off flippantly, like it was ancient history. Wouldnt call it shirty under any definition of the word.
Correct
He pointed out you can’t compare teams/seasons
I think that should be a command that shalt be obeyed by his disciples henceforth

I'm not a disciple (or fanboy :wink:) but I think there's no benefit in looking in the rear vision mirror...and no benefit in comparing teams/seasons/coaches

What I've been shirty about is match committee decisions and the boring conservative selections and lack of opportunities for some of our listed players

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Yorkeys
Saintsational Legend

Journos will note that a nerve has been hit.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Scollop wrote: Tue 27 Jun 2023 5:30am What I've been shirty about is match committee decisions and the boring conservative selections and lack of opportunities for some of our listed players
I'd love to know what's behind the decisions each week, but not being privvy to those you have to make some assumptions on selection strategy based on what we see every week.

1. We are trusting most young players to develop at VFL level and see no rush in putting any of them to the sword before they are ready.
2. A select few "golden childs" are picked to develop at AFL level, and we are sticking with that plan.
3. Some players bags are already packed, papers signed. Or consigned to depth.
4. Players with the biggest question marks over contracts are being put to the test each and every week.
5. Win/loss is an outcome not a driver.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote: Tue 27 Jun 2023 11:32am
Scollop wrote: Tue 27 Jun 2023 5:30am What I've been shirty about is match committee decisions and the boring conservative selections and lack of opportunities for some of our listed players
I'd love to know what's behind the decisions each week, but not being privvy to those you have to make some assumptions on selection strategy based on what we see every week.

1. We are trusting most young players to develop at VFL level and see no rush in putting any of them to the sword before they are ready.
2. A select few "golden childs" are picked to develop at AFL level, and we are sticking with that plan.
3. Some players bags are already packed, papers signed. Or consigned to depth.
4. Players with the biggest question marks over contracts are being put to the test each and every week.
5. Win/loss is an outcome not a driver.
Agree
I think he’s stuck with kids he obviously rates
Not played those he clearly doesn’t
It’s pretty simple
Don’t get the upheaval of selection issues especially when you fat in the injury list

“Yeah….nah””