Work Ethic

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Work Ethic

WORK ETHIC

I posted at the start of the 2007 season that one of Lyons biggest challenges, if not the biggest would be the players work ethic.

Now yes injuries certainly once again flared in the first half of season and probably reached new lows.

However throughout the season lack of an adequate work ethic remained a prominent problem at the Saints.

For too long now “near enoughâ€
Last edited by saintsRrising on Wed 17 Oct 2007 9:14pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

From the odd things I've heard here and there from guys who get down to the club regularly and chat to a few people, it appears that Ross Lyon only rates about 4 players on the list for their ability to 'gut-run'

Hayes
Harvey
Montagna
Riewoldt

It this is true (and it would be no surprise to any of us), it leaves enormous scope for improvement for the rest of the list in this regard. Hopefully, we'll see a much more hardened outfit in 2008.

Collingwood's list is no better than ours, yet they played out games with far more energy and intensity in 2007

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes indeed...

With Misson coming on board this will help to reinforce Lyon's message.

Lets hope to that Roo continues on from his B&F speech with staring a few team-mates square in the eyes once training starts....and then throughout games and the season.

spert
Saintsational Legend

What I've saying for a couple of years.. work ethic by many players not good enough to win a flag. Lets hope RL kicks a few butts.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

(Quietly hopes the sensational message of this thread doesn't get washed away by subsequent posts...)

Superb post sRr - our playing group has squibbed far too often in the past few years.

It seems the cancer of the 2005 Preliminary Final has eroded our ability to finish strongly, particuarly in big games. This hurt us in 2006, and virtually killed our season in 2007.

Too many times we let teams back in after having them on the rope. West Coast, Collingwood and the Bulldogs took 10 points from us. Carlton, Richmond and West Coast (Subiaco) all gave us almighty scares, too.

We've also failed to to really smash teams. A lack of four quarter efforts has cost us hugely.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully with the club putting more resources into injury management a lot of these fade outs will cease. To many players missing blocks of pre season to gain a solid base to get through a full season. Also players missing two - three weeks here and there during the season to minor injuries doesnt help with their core fitness. Hopefully this is behind us and injuries can no longer be the blight they have been for three to four seasons.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes physical fitness is part of it...and yes it will help.

It is one of many ingredients that you have to mostly get right (as are others such as having a balanced list etc)...BUT if the players are not MENTALLY all there and COMMIITED to give their best 99% of the time then being physically fit will not be enough.

Saints43
Club Player

I also think that the often stated aim to 'keep the group together' has been a security blanket for some players.

I have often wondered what trading a player at the end of 2005 might have done in terms of a wake up call that this is a ruthless business.

I really expected RL to lay down the law when he arrived but looking back I suppose the timing of his appointment didn't allow it.

Glad he's done it now.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes Ross has had 12 months to suss out players and work out who is walking the walk....and who were only talking the walk!!!

Then there area few others that he needs to prod to walk faster :wink:

RBnW
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Yes Ross has had 12 months to suss out players and work out who is walking the walk....and who were only talking the walk!!!

Demster & Schneider are both strong runners they will take a few of our players to another level, both 23 year olds and premiership players they are not coming here to be under achievers.....with Rooie steping up as our leader and a bit of fresh running there are a few that will have to step up to new levels....pre season will be worth watching

Our best is yet
to come......
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

evertonfc wrote:(Quietly hopes the sensational message of this thread doesn't get washed away by subsequent posts...)

Superb post sRr - our playing group has squibbed far too often in the past few years.

It seems the cancer of the 2005 Preliminary Final has eroded our ability to finish strongly, particuarly in big games. This hurt us in 2006, and virtually killed our season in 2007.

Too many times we let teams back in after having them on the rope. West Coast, Collingwood and the Bulldogs took 10 points from us. Carlton, Richmond and West Coast (Subiaco) all gave us almighty scares, too.

We've also failed to to really smash teams. A lack of four quarter efforts has cost us hugely.

quality post to match SRr's equally great post..

2008 NO EXCUSES!

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
Johnny Favier
Club Player

This is thread of the year for mine SR - superb post mate!

You've hit the nail on the head right there - work ethic would have to be THE vital ingredient for this club to progress next season.

As much as it pains me to say so, I've had a lot of admiration for the way the Pies played their footy this year...they never gave in and kept hanging in there 'til the final siren - nearly got them to a Grand Final didn't it?

IMHO I think we have more class than their line-up, so if we could only apply the same work rate, coupled with a reduced injury rate (fingers crossed) this would go a long way to making us flag-contenders next year.

It really is within our reach...just a matter of getting fair dinkum on the track now.

crowjelly
Club Player

I know the harder I work the luckier I get.
Perhaps luck might start running the Saints way once they've done the hard yards.
The Cats have set the height of the bar boys - now lets jump over it.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

crowjelly wrote:I know the harder I work the luckier I get.

Wise words....

Solar
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Favier wrote:This is thread of the year for mine SR - superb post mate!

You've hit the nail on the head right there - work ethic would have to be THE vital ingredient for this club to progress next season.

As much as it pains me to say so, I've had a lot of admiration for the way the Pies played their footy this year...they never gave in and kept hanging in there 'til the final siren - nearly got them to a Grand Final didn't it?

IMHO I think we have more class than their line-up, so if we could only apply the same work rate, coupled with a reduced injury rate (fingers crossed) this would go a long way to making us flag-contenders next year.

It really is within our reach...just a matter of getting fair dinkum on the track now.
the comparison between us and the pies is a perfect one on this subject. We had them in the bag when we played them in the wet but they wanted it more. One of the pies players was interviewed afterwards and made it clear that they knew we would not run out the game so they kept working till it turned their way. This is a disgrace of a situation to have.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Yes....you want to go away from a game sometimes just knowing that the team has won simply because it has outworked a good opponent..

A bit like a Boa Constrictor....constant but slow pressure till you have squeezed the life out of your victim..

carn_sainter
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Yes....you want to go away from a game sometimes just knowing that the team has won simply because it has outworked a good opponent..

A bit like a Boa Constrictor....constant but slow pressure till you have squeezed the life out of your victim..
i'd take a male lion's strategy over a boa constrictor's

high intensity burst of power, unimaginable ferocity, followed by the slow picking apart of it's beaten victim

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Yep the "Heads as big as puddings" comment springs to mind
Lazy performances has crept into far too many players games.
read the clarkes, Dall Santo, goddard....
I would add Ball & baker to the list of gut runners tho and I think Blake has started to improve in this area as well.
A four quarter game, is no less than the supporters deserve, and the player's might actually achieve their potential :)

Seeya
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well....Season 2008 is about to kick off with the NAB game this week.....

It will be interesting to see if the players have heeded Roo's call to arms at the B&F.

Westaway and FF have so far heeded Roos call for them to walk the talk.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Yes Ross has had 12 months to suss out players and work out who is walking the walk....and who were only talking the walk!!!

I think work ethic and commitment and intensity was lower under Lyon in 07 than I've seen since Tim Watson.

Why are you siggesting that Lyon is now going to do something about it? In 04 and 05, we were known as a team that won the close ones - even when we had half a team on the park.

It appears on face value that this is something Lyon has brought with him - not inherited.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

Great post....as much as I hated it at the time I remember the Swans saying to each other that "nobody runs harder than us" - that's what I want fr om the Saints. The belief AND the actual running.

Shaggy
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:

I think work ethic and commitment and intensity was lower under Lyon in 07 than I've seen since Tim Watson.

Why are you siggesting that Lyon is now going to do something about it? In 04 and 05, we were known as a team that won the close ones - even when we had half a team on the park.

It appears on face value that this is something Lyon has brought with him - not inherited.
IMO we went backwards last year because the players did not have the same belief with RL. But that was to be expected in the circumstances.

But one year on I think RL has proved himself and hopefully players think the same.

There are no escuses from herein. We were serious premiership contenders in 2004 and 2005 with little money invested. With lots of money invested this year in the footy department, a true ruckmen and HFF we seem to have fixed all weaknesses.

IMO it is all now down to belief which GT was great at. If RL's footy model works we will win the premiership. If it doesn't we will have either had bad luck or appointed the wrong coach.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:Great post....as much as I hated it at the time I remember the Swans saying to each other that "nobody runs harder than us" - that's what I want fr om the Saints. The belief AND the actual running.
If we had our best runners and most hardened and experienced players on the park for 10 straight weeks - I reckon we could have run pretty hard too.

It's funny how they didn't seem to run that hard for the first half of the year when they had key players out injured.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

carn_sainter wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Yes....you want to go away from a game sometimes just knowing that the team has won simply because it has outworked a good opponent..

i'd take a male lion's strategy over a boa constrictor's

high intensity burst of power, unimaginable ferocity, followed by the slow picking apart of it's beaten victim
I guess it is also a bit like rock, paper, scissors...where it also depends on your opponent.

aussiejones
Club Player

I have often wondered if the Saints believe the hype of the Best List
and also believe its only a matter of time (but for injuries)... and the GF is theirs for the taking.

We supporters are an ever hopeful lot.

BUT , some players seem either through lack of form or skill to put in just enough .

We have got to realize the Best List syndrome can lead to complacency.
This was what Nick was alluding to .

Are some of the boys overrated ?
Are they automatic selections ?

Hopefully more depth will allow more competition for a place in the team.

Afterall the coach can only do so much.