Get ready to WHINGE ........ !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Get ready to WHINGE ........ !!

The 2008 fixture is due for release on Thursday.

There will be the interstate trips (I reckon there will be 5. Brisbane, Sydney, Adelaide & Perth x 2)

There will be the 6 day breaks (Lets hope there are 6 or less)

There will be the comparisons with Collingwood's draw (They have 6 I/S trips unless Eddie gets that changed)

There will be Essendon's draw & how many games they have on their sponsors Network, Ch 7 + they have 4 I/S trips)

There will be the usual Derbys & Darbys, Showdowns & Hodowns, Blockbusters & Mockbusters, Anzac Day & Mothers Day, Rivalry & Leftovers, Whinging & Moaning, Farting & Thunder

When it is all said & Done we will end up with;

11 Home Games at TD, & possibly 3-4 away games there too

5 Interstate trips as per above

A home game in Rd 1 (v Syd at TD on Sat Night). 1st time for 4-5 years

There are lots of things we would like in the fixture but we need to face reality. We are a fair way down the pecking order. My ladder for FIXture pecking order is;

1. Syd, WCE, Bris, Adel, Port, Freo

7. Coll

8. Ess

9. Carl

10. Geel

11. Haw

12. Rich

13. St Kilda

14. Melb

15. Kangas

16. Dogs (7 I/S trips in 2008)

Reality is that we play 22 games. We need to win 13 to get into the 8 and 15-16 to get into the top 4.

Please feel free to add your wishes/whinges to this thread !!

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

The fixture release is my favourite off-season event. I love looking at the year ahead and seeing what games we might win and lose, etc.

This is my wishlist....

More saturday and sunday afternoon matches - say 14 of each leaving only 8 night matches for a change. We played better during the day this year.

6 interstate trips - 5 versus each interstater except freo or eagles (preferably freo) and one in carrara against roos.

4 MCG games

Two games versus Geelong, Richmond, Carlton, Collingwood, Essendon, Port Adelaide, Melbourne.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we were drawn to play at Skilled stadium. But I also wouldn't bother going there. Probably no chance I'll get in.

That's it for me - I think I stand a good chance.

Eastern, make sure you give us every leak you can til Thursday... surely you'll find some things out. You always do.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

the only thing that i'm really worried about for next years fixture (well, more television fixture) is that we're gonna get no where near as many games on free-to-air TV as we did this year, due to our low ladder finish and the fact that we were the lowest scoring team this year (which in their eyes equals 'most tv-unfriendly' team)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

i think we might have 2xSA and 1xWA. or maybe 2 of both?
maybe if the afl stuff us around we might end up playing swans 2 times there, lions 2 times there, crows 2 times there, port 2 times there, freo 2 times there, wce 2 times there, dogs once in darwin, hawks once in tasmania and roos once in the gold coast! :lol: :lol: :lol:

but if we dont play port in melb i will be pi$$ed off coz i have only been too 1 saints v port game in my life and that was in adelaide and i nearly drouned that night it was raining so much! :cry:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
HarveysDeciple

despite playing them in round one, there is no guarantee of a return trip to sydney.

This year we played the dees only once and it was in round one.

We may go to perth and adelaide twice, plus brisbane.

who knows.

LennyBoy
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:i think we might have 2xSA and 1xWA. or maybe 2 of both?
maybe if the afl stuff us around we might end up playing swans 2 times there, lions 2 times there, crows 2 times there, port 2 times there, freo 2 times there, wce 2 times there, dogs once in darwin, hawks once in tasmania and roos once in the gold coast! :lol: :lol: :lol:

but if we dont play port in melb i will be pi$$ed off coz i have only been too 1 saints v port game in my life and that was in adelaide and i nearly drouned that night it was raining so much! :cry:
Don't they ever teach your capital letters :wink:

As for that night in Adelaide I had to laugh it was a pathetic effort, the best part of the night was you getting soaked, while I sat with wildgoose in the stands and laughing at you.

I'd be hoping for:

13 Telstra Dome (10 Home, 3 Away)
4 MCG (2 Home, 2 Home)
5 Interstate (Subiaco, Adelaide x 2, Sydney, Brisbane) :lol:

sax
Club Player

Might be a tad optimistic, but I'd be hoping for

15 @ Telstra dome (11 Home, 4 away)
2 @ MCG (Both away)
5 IS (2 x Adel, Perth, Brisbane, Sydney)

I'm a bit bias about the Adelaide games, if we play there twice that's at least 2 times I get to see us!! :D

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

was the best run we've had on a draw for years.

it would be unrealistic to expect another oone in 08.

also in 07 we gave up something like 500k to ditch tasmania which brought us more TD games.

but here's hoping.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

By the looks of things we won't be getting a home game v Collingwood. They look likely to have 16 games at the MCG and 6 Interstate games.

We could get a home game v Essendon as they only have 4 Interstate trips in 2008.

We normally get H&A games v 3-4 of the 6 I/S clubs so that only leaves us with 3-4 return games v Vic clubs.

My guess for 2008 Ess, Dogs, Rich, Carl !!

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

14 @ TD (11 Home, 3 away)
3 @ MCG (All away)
5 I/S (Freo, Port, Brisbane, West Coast + Adelaide)
I am hoping that we will play the dogs, bombers, tigers and dockers twice!!

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintm
Club Player

A "leaked" copy would be very helpful for us interstaters as Jetstar, and probably Virgin I would think, have discounted airfares on sale for selected periods until the end of next August.

Unfortunately the sale closes tomorrow and I think the draw is due to be released on Friday.

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

All I want is to play Port Adelaide at Telstra Dome.

I've been to every St Kilda game played in Melbourne since the start of 2003, and in that time I've never watched us play Port Adelaide.

I'm sick of never beating Port, and would love to front up at the Dome against them. Pity G has gone, but Kosi and Rooey can do the job 8-)

Other than that, I wouldn't mind the Pies at the 'G again, and to play Essendon twice.

Carlton once will do me ... they might actually improve next year.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

saintm wrote:A "leaked" copy would be very helpful for us interstaters as Jetstar, and probably Virgin I would think, have discounted airfares on sale for selected periods until the end of next August.

Unfortunately the sale closes tomorrow and I think the draw is due to be released on Friday.
The AFL looking after the fans is a similar story to the being looked after by the tooth fairy !!

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I think the clubs need to have their WHINGES in by Tuesday and the final fixture will be released late on Thursday.

There are bound to be changes. Eddie will be whining like the diff in an EK Holden after seeing the filth given 6 Interstate trips !!

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:All I want is to play Port Adelaide at Telstra Dome.
yeah!
same!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Cirra
Club Player

Boring Sunaday afternoon in my house so I put together what I think our draw will be:

11 Telstra Dome Home Games: Geel, Kang, WC, Haw, Ess, Bull, Bris, Syd, Rich, Carlt and Freo.
2 Away at TD – Ess and Bull.
4 MCG – Coll, Haw, Melb and Rich.
5 I/S – Sydney, Adel, Port, Freo and WC.

Playing Ess, Bull, Syd, WC, Freo, Rich and Haw twice.

5 Fri Night Games - Less than last year (but not too much) due to ladder position in 2007.
T/D: 4 – Geel, Kang, WC, Haw
Subiaco: Freo

7 Sat Night - Increase next prime time spot as we are still a popular Melbourne club with over 30,000 members.T/D: Ess, Bull, Bris, Syd, Rich
AAMI: Adel
SCG: Syd

5 Sat Day
MCG: Rich, Coll
T/D: Ess (Away), Carlt, Freo

5 Sun Day
MCG: Haw, Melb
Subiaco: WC
AAMI: Port
T/D: Bull (Away)

Wonder how much I will get right??

"When we get back on November 5 and walk through that door, we're getting on a bus together and we're going down the road to a premiership. You're either on the bus or you get run over," Roo at the B&F 2007

In 2012, I'm still on the bus.
RooandKosi
Club Player

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:The fixture release is my favourite off-season event. I love looking at the year ahead and seeing what games we might win and lose, etc.
I do the same but always pick wrong.

WCE in perth??? had a loss there
ESS at dome?? had a win there!!
Bris?? win
Melb? Loss

I swear i got it all wrong

MORE MCG GAMES PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its the greatest place to watch footy!!

TD is good too but the G has that extra oommphh

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:
yeah!
same!
Thank you!

I've been beating this drum for a while now.

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

riccardo wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
yeah!
same!
Thank you!

Agreed - the discrepancies in the draw have been going on for far too long...

BTW, I wouldn't see the harm in 1-2 home games a year at the MCG - against Coll/Ess/Rich/Carl

The Saints are coming!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

riccardo wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
yeah!
same!
Thank you!

Concur, and how about no match in Perth vs Freo?

Dimwit has his ugly head so far up his rectum at the moment he wouldn't a hear a bomb go off under his seat!

helsy3
Club Player

I'm going to personally sue Vlad if you're right Eastern and all our reward for finishing 3rd is being rated 15th when it comes to drawing up the fixture. I know they want to force us out, but sheesh!!

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
riccardo wrote:
saintdooley wrote:
yeah!
same!
Thank you!

Concur, and how about no match in Perth vs Freo?
wont happen!
freo v stk on friday night games over there are always nearly a full house! so they will keep us playing over there on a friday or sat night until the crowd dies down.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

OK, here's hoping!

Bold games are home.

Round 1 - Sydney - Telstra Dome - Saturday Night
Round 2 - Melbourne - MCG - Saturday Night
Round 3 - Carlton - TD - Sunday Afternoon
Round 4 - Geelong - TD - Sunday Twilight
Round 5 - Port Adelaide - AAMI -- Sunday Twilight
Round 6 - Brisbane - TD - Saturday Night
Round 7 - Essendon - TD - Saturday Night

Round 8 - Collingwood - MCG - Sunday Afternoon
Round 9 - Richmond - MCG - Saturday Night
Round 10 - Bulldogs - TD - Friday NIght
Round 11 - Kangaroos - TD - Friday Night
Round 12 - Adelaide - AS - Sunday Early
Round 13 - Fremantle - TD - Saturday Afternoon
Round 14 - West Coast - TD - Sunday Afternoon

Round 15 - Hawthorn - MCG - Saturday Afternoon
Round 16 - Geelong - TD - Friday Night
Round 17 - Essendon - TD - Friday Night
Round 18 - Sydney - SCG - Sunday Early
Round 19 - Collingwood - TD - Sunday Afternoon
Round 20 - Brisbane - Gabba - Sunday Early
Round 21 - Port Adelaide - TD - Sunday Afternoon
Round 22 - Melbourne - TD - Sunday Twilight

Gives us 14 games at Telstra Dome

11 Sunday games 3 early, 3 twilight, 5 afternoon

4 interstate - none to WA...

I can hope.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Looks like Richmond has a home game at Telstra Dome versus us!

Tigers snarling over Dome home games
Caroline Wilson | October 25, 2007

http://realfooty.com.au/news/news/tiger ... 52468.html

RICHMOND is seething over the 2008 AFL draw, which has again failed to recognise the club as a definitive home tenant of the MCG, scheduling three Tigers' home games at Telstra Dome, including one against MCG co-tenant Melbourne.

In a scheduling faux pas certain to antagonise both Richmond and Melbourne supporters, the two clubs have again been forced to play each other away from the MCG at the Docklands stadium in a Richmond home game.

A further insult is that the Tigers have been scheduled a Telstra Dome home game against St Kilda.

The AFL will unveil its 2008 draw tomorrow, with the Tigers and Carlton opening the season with an Easter-eve twilight game at the MCG — cricket commitments permitting.

This will run back-to-back against the Thursday night clash at AAMI Stadium between 2007 grand finalists Port Adelaide and Geelong.

As revealed in The Age, the Thursday night double-header will open the season a week early, on March 20, with each club being handed two breaks during the season, one as a split round over late June-early July and the other a mid-season break scheduled for the Mother's Day weekend in May.

With the AFL placing a state-of-origin revival in the too-hard basket, it is understood the league has instead chosen to schedule a Victoria-All Stars clash on the eve of Mothers' Day (May 10) as part of the 150th anniversary celebrations.

While the AFL has yet to complete the details of the clash, the game is expected to be played at the MCG and televised on Channel Ten. The decision to select key players from all clubs is certain to meet opposition from most of the 16 teams.

The Richmond board, which met last night, was understood to have been disappointed with the AFL's Telstra Dome push. Only recently the league's Gillon McLachlan — the architect of the 2008 draw — tried to convince the club to agree to a 7-4 home-game split between the MCG and Telstra Dome.

The push was firmly rejected by the Tigers, who have pushed for the past five years to play a minimum nine home games at the MCG.

With the Tigers managing to draw respectable crowds at their traditional home ground despite last year's dreadful performances, the club directors remained dismayed at the decision, particularly given that two of the club's MCG home games have been scheduled against Adelaide and West Coast — games better suited to Telstra Dome.

The three Telstra Dome home games will be contested against Melbourne, St Kilda and Brisbane Lions, while Richmond received some consolation in that the AFL has agreed to schedule its centenary clash at the MCG against Carlton as a night game at the end of June during the second split round.

The Tigers will wear their original jumper for that game.

The AFL also looks certain to schedule three overseas pre-season games, including a Collingwood-Adelaide NAB Cup game in Dubai on February 9, a Geelong-Essendon game in Los Angeles over the Australia Day weekend and a game in Johannesburg potentially involving the Western Bulldogs.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:Concur, and how about no match in Perth vs Freo?
To be honest i'd prefer the easy 4 points.