c'mon guys closest to the pin.....pick 9.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

c'mon guys closest to the pin.....pick 9.

who will we draft at pick no.9.........

i'm tipping it will be one of the following.....

cyril rioli
alex rance
tom collier
lachie henderson
ben mcEvoy
thomas bellchambers
Last edited by stinger on Tue 23 Oct 2007 5:25pm, edited 1 time in total.

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

from some info i have received which once i can confirm it ill post a thread about it

Junior Rioli

stinger
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:from some info i have received which once i can confirm it ill post a thread about it

Junior Rioli
i'd be happy with that..... :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Quixote
SS Life Member

Word has it Ross and his assistants are super keen on drafting Ernie Dingo

An image thing

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
ben_fff
Club Player

After pressure from this forum a sauce of mine (Tabasco) told me that we're going to pick up 4 players disgarded by other teams due to pressure from Saintsational... all our draft picks will be passed.

Quixote
SS Life Member

ben_fff wrote:After pressure from this forum a sauce of mine (Tabasco) told me that we're going to pick up 4 players disgarded by other teams due to pressure from Saintsational... all our draft picks will be passed.
Yep I've heard this too

Jolly, Spider, Barry and Bowden

Kick to space

Hold up

Push back

Flag awaits

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote:from some info i have received which once i can confirm it ill post a thread about it
I'd prefer not to have our recruiting compromised by leaked information.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Collier

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I'll go for Chris Masten after he slides down a few spots. There's always someone who drops down a few spots...Masten is a gun but is a true rover, so with tall mids being on everyone's wishlist & a few clubs needing KPP I wouldn't be surprised if Masten is the one who drops.

PP Carlton- Kreuzer (already 99% confirmed)
#1 Richmond- Cotchin (will be Cotchin or Morton)
#2 West Coast- Morton (will be Morton or Cotchin)
#3 Melbourne- Henderson (need KPP- Henderson or McEvoy)
#4 Bulldogs- McEvoy (need KPP will be whoever Melb doesn't take)
#5 Essendon- Ebert (need midfield silk)
#6 Freo- Palmer (need midfield speed & goalkicking)
#7 Brisbane- Rance (need key defensive players)
#8 St.Kilda- Masten (or Rioli, Myers,etc but Masten will be too good to pass up & will play senior footy in 08)

Here is Chris Masten's profile from BigFooty- (I like the Haselby with pace comment!)

Chris Masten (Rover) - 2 May 1989, 179cm 78kg. WA/East Fremantle
"Weaver: Rovers tends not to go too early but Masten is simply too good to pass on. Might not be as sharp as Murphy or as dynamic as McLean but deserves to be in that same sort of early pick company. Pace is OK, wins huge amounts of the ball in tight, uses it well and brings teammates into the game. Can flat-out play and clubs will regret getting too clever and letting him slide. Got an armchair ride from Leuenberger last year - not this time where Palmer owes him a bevvy.
"
"Recruiter 1: I was pleased with Chris Masten’s game today. He was busy from the first contest while also being quite creative. Chris didn't just win the ball and clear the contest, he also brought other players into the game through his clean disposal. He worked at the same pace throughout the match, displaying real consistency across four quarters.
"
"Recruiter 2: Chris played a very good game. He was quite elusive and has excellent skills on both sides of his body. I was impressed that he found so much of the ball against good opposition.
"
"Matt Burgan: Masten has now won 55 disposals in two matches, after racking up 29 touches against Vic Country in yet another outstanding performance. A highly touted prospect come November, his run through the middle was again on show for the Sandgropers.
"
"Alan McConnell: Masten runs opponents off their feet. His athletic background comes to the fore and he just grinds away. He finished up with massive possessions. He worked closely with his teammate Palmer in the stoppages and it was interesting to see Masten working in tendem with Palmer, who was getting tagged. He tried to give his teammate a free run at the footy.*
"
"Kevin Sheehan: A small midfielder with enormous running ability and consistently high possession rate, Masten finished fifth in disposals for the championships with 76 – averaging 25 per match. He was third overall in clearances, winning 16. A fine leader, he captained Western Australia to the division-one title and has already played nine senior matches in the WAFL.
"
"AFL Insider:
AFL Positions:
The team that is lucky enough to grab Masten will want to put him right in the middle of the action. In 2008, Masten could be used like J Selwood was often used by Geelong this year, in a rotation off the bench into the centre.
Perfect Fit For:
Masten knows the right spot to be in at stoppages and he would get a lot of the ball if he was playing for Sydney next year. With Everitt and Jolly dominating the hitouts, Masten would be very productive in the middle. Masten's possible addition would provide a young player to take some of the load off their veteran onballers like Kirk, Fosdike and J Bolton.
**********.net prediction:
Plenty of teams will use their first rounders on tall prospects so Masten may go somewhere in the second half of the first round, assuming the Fremantle Dockers don't grab him earlier. But the Dockers already have Hasleby and J Carr so they might address a different draft need. Collingwood could be the team that gets him, they drafted athletes a couple of years ago and key position players last time, in the 2007 AFL draft they might look for help in the centre. Masten would be a good player for Collingwood to draft as he is ready to play and would be someone to take over eventually from Burns and O'Bree. Chris Masten is ""The Masterpiece"" and a definite first round choice.
AFL Fantasy Outlook:
Midfielders taken in the first round of the draft usually help fantasy teams. Masten would be a good choice for a cheap midfielder to start on the fantasy bench, a useful amount of stats and a solid price increase would be nearly guaranteed.
"
"BoyfromtheWest: Masto is the ball magnet that was Haselby but with real pace. 15.8 beep test, excellent hands and a work ethic that makes him the gut runner that this club of softies needs.
"
"ant555: Chris Masten – 180cm, 78kg – East Fremantle. A genuine in and under rover who can run all day and is very good at getting his team mates into the game. His skills are very good and creative on both sides of his body and knows how to block for his mates in the middle. He isn’t a jet as far as pace goes but his vision and composure make up for that. Finds plenty of the footy and is very good at the stoppages and clearances. He has had a pretty consistent year playing mainly in the seniors for East Fremantle in the WAFL. Had an excellent under 18 championship series where he was captain of WA and really delivered on field with his work rate and one precenters. Played really consistent footy over four quarters in all three champ matches. Work rate is very good. Doesn’t mind going forward and kicking a goal.
"
Mr Cat: Chris Masten, 178 cm. Classic B+ inside midfielder. Chad fletecher with a better head and pace. I'll get criticised for this but his kicking is to be desired on occasions. Kicked efficiency over the U18s was average, and his impact was not to that he had in his U15 and U16 national carnivals. Definate first round but possible slider.

***thanks to Couch Coach for that profile***

saintDal
Club Player

I don't think Masten will slip that far.

I reckon we might go for Rance if he is still available.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

He might not but everyone thought that Albert Proud would be top 10 last year & he fell to number 22.

There's always kids that are rated highly on BigFooty, etc who either drop down the order or don't get drafted.

The clubs in front of us have more pressing needs than a player like Masten but I suppose it depends on whether they will draft 'best available' or 'best that fits their needs'.

fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I like the look of Rance....(not that I've seen him, just on profiles)...fast defender. Masten won't be there at #9.

Nee!
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

I think the problem with Proud was his interviews and attitude....had all the attributes but terrible attitude apparently.

Nee!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

fugazi wrote:I think the problem with Proud was his interviews and attitude....had all the attributes but terrible attitude apparently.
hence why he didnt play senior footy from memory

however all the lions cubs rate him and hink he is going to be a gun

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

That was the same as James Sellar...was all set to go to Port (who desperately need key forwards) & Williams apparently destroyed him in the interview, scared off other teams & he fell to Adelaide outside the top 10.

Just goes to show how much recruiting has changed. It all used to be on ability...now it's probably 90% ability 10% attitude. After the Cousins drama that may even increase.

My original point on Masten is just a guess anyway...just like most other posters on here I've seen very little of the players in question (an under 18's champ game on fox & two games down at Casey during the champs...where I only recognised Rhys Palmer anyway!)

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I won't be surprised if West Coast take Palmer with their 1st Pick. That would make it;

Krueser (Carl)

Morton (Rich)

Palmer (WCE)

Cotchin (Melb)

There were suspisions that there were "Deals" done during trade week and that Greg Miller (Rich) was up to his ears in it.

As for our 1st pick at #9, it is hard to tell as we need to wait & see what other clubs ahead of us do. I like the sound of Rance !!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

That Masten bloke is currently a dwarf - only 179 cms!

I know he is only 18 - but how much taller is he likely to grow.

IMO any player recruited now needs to be at minimum 185 cms.....you need to be a good runner, but also have some height as well.

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Trade off for getting WC's Mitch Morton for 35 could see Richmond taking Cale Morton at 2 - leaving Cotchin for WC at 3

Doubt Masten will last to 9 - would be stoked if he did though :shock:

1 Kreuzer - Carl
2 Morton - Rich
3 Cotchin - WC

Masten, Ebert, Myers, Palmer, Henderson, McEvoy, Rioli, Grant, Selwood,

If the more high profile mids are taken, I wouldn't mind them taking Selwood at 9 :shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 23 Oct 2007 5:09pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hold your ground :shock:
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Hope you're right Animal, from the profiles I've read Masten would be about the only one to sway me from Rance...I'm a little torn in what we actually need more.

Masten sounds like a gun, just the type of player needed to step from the great man's shadow and relieve some of the pressure that will come the way of Ball, Hayes, Dal, Joey and a couple of our other young mids, Armo and Geary.

Will be very interested to see how our people draft our first pick, whether for need or best available.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

By all accounts Scott Selwood is a top 20 pick but not necessarily top 10. He's more a Troy Selwood than a Joel Selwood.

Masten may be only 179 but is a very good pure footballer as well as being an athlete. His height may see him slip a few spots, that why I nominated him as my smokey for pick 9.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Maybe it is just me and I'll confess I've never seen him play but I have this nagging feeling that this Selwood may just be the Dean Waugh of the Selwood Dynasty.

I hope for him (especially if we draft him) that he's not.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like it's Attitude that is destroying the careers of these young top draft picks rather than football ability.

Makes it all the more important to do some pretty in depth psychological testing for your first round pick. Even Armitage had commitment issues early in the year from what i'm told.

ben_fff
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:That Masten bloke is currently a dwarf - only 179 cms!

I know he is only 18 - but how much taller is he likely to grow.

IMO any player recruited now needs to be at minimum 185 cms.....you need to be a good runner, but also have some height as well.
Kerr is 178cm I'm pretty sure, I'd say he's the best midfielder in the league and he seems to do alright.

ben_fff
Club Player

After reading one of the above posts I like the sound of Masten, I'm hoping we pick up a midfielder in my opinion our first picks for the next few years should go towards yong midfielders so we can develop the next centre to take over Lenny and increase our rotations.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Masten
Rioli
Ebert

I'd say it is out of those three. Masten sounds very good, but the descriptions of him remind me a lot of McQualter.