Saints to play Kangas r.14 in Gold Coast

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

kickittokosi!!!!
Club Player

Saints to play Kangas r.14 in Gold Coast

source = see article reference on West of Morrabbin (Gold Coast News)

Thoughts?

obviously TD would have been preferable, but is Carara (spelling?) really much of a home ground advantage to them?

However, the do play there 3 other times next season... 2 before us + 1 after.

go saints!
GrumpyOne

I wanna go I wanna go!

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Sensational ... I'm moving to the Gold Coast next year and I was hoping we might get a Cararra game.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Oh When the Saints wrote:Sensational ... I'm moving to the Gold Coast next year and I was hoping we might get a Cararra game.
Moving to the GC hey OWTS?! Talk about neglecting your beloved!! Is it a permanent move or temporary??

Anyway, I don't mind us playing in Carrara say once ever 2-3 years, prefer playing there than I would at the GABBA!!

The Saints are coming!
JeffDunne

Can't believe anyone would think this is a good thing.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

That is awesome, want to see an interstate ggame next year - want to take my gf to the gold coast. This way I can kill two birds with one stone... I'll just send her to a day spa and something else to entertain her for the night while I go to the footy.

I was hoping we'd draw a match like this - either roos in carrara, dogs in darwin or hawthorn in tassie. I reckon we'll only get four more interstate matches - two in adelaide, 1 in sydney, 1 in perth.

riccardo
Saintsational Legend

Sounds like fun, we should organise an SS road trip. :wink:

GrumpyOne

OneEyedSainter77 wrote:- want to take my gf to the gold coast. This way I can kill two birds with one stone...
Surely you can think of better things to do with your GF on the coast than go out throwing rocks at the wildlife?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:Sensational ... I'm moving to the Gold Coast next year and I was hoping we might get a Cararra game.
Well maybe not hoping too hard... :wink: http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=37670

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

True Blue Sainter wrote:
Moving to the GC hey OWTS?! Talk about neglecting your beloved!! Is it a permanent move or temporary??

Permanent for four years ... it will be tough being away from the Saints every weekend!

I'll have a few well-timed trips back (i.e. based around blockbuster Saints games in Melbourne), and hopefully be flying back late in September for the next three years ... :wink:

JeffDunne wrote:Can't believe anyone would think this is a good thing.
I'm surprised - Saints/Roos normally draw 35k+ at the Dome, so I wouldn't have thought we were a candidate for being shunted up to the GC.

They should only play AFL games now when it's raining. Slow games of footy are so much better to watch.
The Jeff
Club Player

Yes!!!

Do we also have Brisbane at the GABBA...that would be great news for me. I am being absolutely starved of footy up here!!!

FQF
JeffDunne

Oh When the Saints wrote:
I'm surprised - Saints/Roos normally draw 35k+ at the Dome, so I wouldn't have thought we were a candidate for being shunted up to the GC.
I'm not.

The AFL need these games to be successful - with both attendances and ratings - and we have strong support on the coast and rate well. Of course they'd pick us over Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond & Essendon, other teams that would also provide the same.

I don't know how anyone could think Brisbane getting another Qld game and us getting another interstate game could be seen as good for us.

super dooper
Club Player

As long as there is 4 points attached to the trip there is some positive to it. I hate the idea, just send them there permanent and not for select games, they'll prob get more home fans over there anyway, absolutely crap!!

I hope its just speculation and not fact

Does this mean we travel 1 less time to another state? Prob wishful thinking but u never know. Then again we will prob get kicked in the arse with traveling as always

JeffDunne

The Jeff wrote:Yes!!!

Do we also have Brisbane at the GABBA...that would be great news for me. I am being absolutely starved of footy up here!!!
Catch a plane.

I'm based in Brisbane and I'm more interested in seeing us win a flag than seeing us play up here.

ben_fff
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:
Oh When the Saints wrote:
I'm not.

The AFL need these games to be successful - with both attendances and ratings - and we have strong support on the coast and rate well. Of course they'd pick us over Collingwood, Carlton, Richmond & Essendon, other teams that would also provide the same.

I don't know how anyone could think Brisbane getting another Qld game and us getting another interstate game could be seen as good for us.
It depends on how many other interstate games we get, if we end up with another 4 then it's a good thing because we're playing the Roo's over some other interstate team that is actually located there, however I think it's more likely to be another 5 or 6 which makes our interstate trips go up to 6 or 7.

The Jeff
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:
The Jeff wrote:Yes!!!

Catch a plane.

I'm based in Brisbane and I'm more interested in seeing us win a flag than seeing us play up here.
I'm based in Sunny Coast yet clearly not blessed with deep pockets as would appear to be the case with you. For the 'common' Australian (or me at least), catching a plane to travel interstate to watch the footy isn't always an option. This ideaology you put forward angers me!

Despite this, I retain my Social Club seat and Reserved seat at Telstra Dome for two reasons:
a/my love of the club; and,
b/ in the rare event that I might be able to get down

Prior to last season, the idea of me missing a game was laughable.

Anyways, the equation is simple. The best team in the league each year will/should win premierships. We had a dream fixture last season but struggled. It is likely that we won't have such a strong fixture this time around. Does that translate to a poorer overall result than this season, clearly not. A football season is much more complicated than that!Furthermore; if you really think about it, how does playing an away fixture against the Kangaroos, away from their home ground and at a neutral venue, decrease our likelihood of winning a premiership? Slightly short-sighted of you to say the least.

If not for my initial selfishness (and I am honest at least) I remain pleased.

FQF
OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I wouldn't say we had a dream fixture this year - it was OK, but any year where we take two trips to perth is anything but a "dream"

Carlton got only 4 interstate games this eyar and they finished 2nd last - don't see why that couldn't happen to us too!

JeffDunne

The Jeff wrote:I'm based in Sunny Coast yet clearly not blessed with deep pockets as would appear to be the case with you. For the 'common' Australian (or me at least), catching a plane to travel interstate to watch the footy isn't always an option. This ideaology you put forward angers me!
Ideology? :?

It angers you that I think St Kilda should play as many games in Melbourne as possible?

Sorry, that's the way I feel regardless of how many games I get to see live.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

sounds like fun! :D
i hope we do play a gabba game also, because thats my fav ground!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
The Jeff
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:
The Jeff wrote:I'm based in Sunny Coast yet clearly not blessed with deep pockets as would appear to be the case with you. For the 'common' Australian (or me at least), catching a plane to travel interstate to watch the footy isn't always an option. This ideaology you put forward angers me!
Ideology? :?

It angers you that I think St Kilda should play as many games in Melbourne as possible?

Sorry, that's the way I feel regardless of how many games I get to see live.
Re-read my post. My anger is based on your simple assumption that one should just catch a plane as you do. Don't skirt around the issue. My post clearly indicated that.

FQF
PLUGGER14
Club Player

If we do get 2 games up here in Qld it will interesting to see if both games are included in our "Qld based membership package".

WA & SA members do you get the opportunity to get tickets to both games if played in Perth or Adelaide?

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

does anyone know who the pies are predicted to play rd 1?

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

If this game is a replacement for a trip to either Brisbane or Perth, I can live with that :lol:

If it's an extra I/S trip, making it 6 I/S games for 2008, then I'm not happy :evil: :twisted: !!

Saint Mik
Club Player

Have not seen any part of the draw as yet but was wondering if this game up at the GC is part of the split round if there is one in 08.

What about the idea of playing Brissy the next round and get rid of two interstate trips in two weekends and let the boys stay up there for say the 8 days or so and make the best out of it for the club as in members and clinics ect. Just a thought.

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

My rough calculations have this game on Sunday 6 July (1.10pm start). That is the middle weekend of the Vic school holidays !!