St Kilda-Gold Coast Proposal - The Age

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

St Kilda-Gold Coast Proposal - The Age

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Well I'll start the ball rolling on this one..

Appalled to hear this. They can spin it all they like, but this smacks of sucking up to the AFL, pure and simple. We are the ONLY Victorian Club that plays its 11 home games at one ground and we want to compromise this by shifting home games up North???????

Its a national competition, travel is inevitiable. trying to get around it by depriving the supporters of Melbourne home games is very poor IMHO We arent financial basket cases like the Bulldogs and North..leave the wandering the country in search of a buck to them..

I dont give a flying rats clacker about the AFL's expansion plans..I dont care about "shoring up our support base in SE Qld" (sorry Qld fans) ...I care about a St Kilda winning a flag..and moving HOME games up there will not do help this..

Very disspointed in the Westaway board for even entertaining the idea. At least Collingwood, arrgogant as it was, did the right thing by their supporters and didnt want to touch home games

NOT..HAPPY..JAN :twisted: :x :evil:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

This is crazy, why didnt we just stay in Tassie, whats the advantage now?

Maybe a way to keep rooey on his next contract?

not happy

Before Im 85
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

"But sources said that the Saints would only entertain playing games at Carrara — two or three most likely, but four would not be out of the question — on the proviso that they did not have to travel more than six times in the course of a 22-game season.

Their proposal is for a mix of home-and-away games at Carrara."

Given that we travel 6 times most seasons, im not sure what the problem is?

Dont get me wrong, I hate the idea of playing home games interstate, but with this proviso, those home games away from home, means that we would get more away games, at home.

BanGerS
Club Player

travel 6 times a year - we already do

make money at 2+ of those games - we don't at the moment

can't see the problem?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

BanGerS wrote:travel 6 times a year - we already do

make money at 2+ of those games - we don't at the moment

can't see the problem?
Yes, an important paragraph from the article....

"They visit Perth twice, play Port Adelaide away and the Swans in Sydney — a schedule that they believe would be much improved if half of those six interstate trips were at the Gold Coast, a region in which they wish to develop a greater presence."

supersaints
Club Player

The proposal is similar to Collingwood's... transferring an existing away game up to the gold coast. IMO I would prefer to play West Coast, Port, Sydney and the Dockers AWAY from their own digs.... suits me fine !!

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
jill
Club Player

:twisted: Am furious Board have even contemplated this!!!! :roll:
IF we RETAIN OUR 11 HOME GAMES at Telstra Dome then might be worth doing BUT only IF :!: :!: :!: :!:
Tassie experiment cost us dearly in match points - want us to retain what most of us see as a genuine "home ground "advantage at the Dome.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

jill wrote::twisted: Am furious Board have even contemplated this!!!! :roll:
IF we RETAIN OUR 11 HOME GAMES at Telstra Dome then might be worth doing BUT only IF :!: :!: :!: :!:
Tassie experiment cost us dearly in match points - want us to retain what most of us see as a genuine "home ground "advantage at the Dome.
If you read what is proposed (or at least reported), we won't be playing any more interstate games than we currently do.

I'm no big city lawyer, but that means if we move 2 home games to the Gold Coast - we'd get 2 'away' games in Melbourne to counter it.

As for "genuine "home ground "advantage at the Dome" - how do you work that out?

The Bulldogs play there, so do Essendon and Carlton. When we play 'home' games against them, how do we get an advantage?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Ask the reserved seat holders and Social Club members..noty to mention corporate dining etc..

A "transferred" home game IS NOT THE SAME THING!!!!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Ask the reserved seat holders and Social Club members..noty to mention corporate dining etc..

I don't get it?

Liam_G
Club Player

Now: 11 Melbourne home games. 5 Melbourne away games. 6 Interstate away games (all different venues) = 16 Melbourne, 6 Interstate

Possibility: 8 Melbourne home games. 8 Melbourne away games. 3 Interstate away (all different venues). 3 Interstate home (all same venue) = 16 Melbourne, 6 Interstate.

What's the problem? Telstra Dome does not give us any genuine home ground advantage and has a problematic surface, and the possibility of 8 Melbourne away games gives us greater chance of playing more than 2 matches a year on the MCG surface.

Playing two back-to-back Gold Coast games ensures 2 of our interstate matches are out of the way quickly, with only 4 left to spread over the remaining 18 rounds. People continually get upset at the end of every year when the AFL "screw us over" with the fixture..... but then criticise the club when they reportedly put forward an offer that may actually assist our fixture?
saint66au wrote:Ask the reserved seat holders and Social Club members..noty to mention corporate dining etc..

I'm sorry but I find that such a selfish view. The club is bigger than us. You can go on and on about how the club "wouldn't be here if it wasn't for the fans" etc. but in the long run, the club is what matters. For me, alienating a few selfish fans is a price to pay to ensure we do everything possible to ensure a better chance at a premiership.

Saints94
SS Life Member

From the heart I don't want to play home games Interstate but i'll prefer Carrara then Launceston, Subiaco or the A.A.M.I; In the end I want the Roos to move to the Gold Coast

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

OK..I'll spell it out..

I am ( or will be in 2008) a reserved seat holder...and a Social Club member....so ELEVEN times a year I get to sit in the seat that I paid for..Elven times a year the whole city side of TD is full of passionate Saints fans...and if I so choose I can visit the Victory Room and mix with fellow SC members before or after the game

I want to be able to do this ELEVEN times a year...not nine...getting in free to someone's elses home game is not the same

Sorry if this appears selfish..but if its such a good idea why dont Colingwood or Essendon give up Home games to do it???? They are sooo much more marketable than us arent they??

If..and I say IF it only involved away games Id consider it, but Id really hoped that the days of us playing home games outside Victoria were gone forever.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Saints94
SS Life Member

saint66au wrote:OK..I'll spell it out..

I am ( or will be in 2008) a reserved seat holder...and a Social Club member....so ELEVEN times a year I get to sit in the seat that I paid for..Elven times a year the whole city side of TD is full of passionate Saints fans...and if I so choose I can visit the Victory Room and mix with fellow SC members before or after the game

I want to be able to do this ELEVEN times a year...not nine...getting in free to someone's elses home game is not the same

Sorry if this appears selfish..but if its such a good idea why dont Colingwood or Essendon give up Home games to do it???? They are sooo much more marketable than us arent they??

If..and I say IF it only involved away games Id consider it, but Id really hoped that the days of us playing home games outside Victoria were gone forever.
The Dogs should, they play a couple of games in Manuka and TIO they should be the ones changing to Carrara if they don't want to play in 30 degree heatup in TIO and the Manuka oval` then change to the Gold Coast
Last edited by Saints94 on Tue 04 Dec 2007 9:07am, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
I still can't see the difference between our home games and our away games at Docklands.

Oh, except that the balloons that are sticky tapes around the joint are different colours.

bob__71
Club Player

I'm all for it....I think with our current list we should take the full AFL relocation package and go to the Gold Coast and win premierships.

I guess you have to ask yourself if your willing to give what it takes to be a successful side

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saint66au wrote:
I still can't see the difference between our home games and our away games at Docklands.

Oh, except that the balloons that are sticky tapes around the joint are different colours.
OK then..go flash your SC membership at the Victory Room door at an way game...try sitting in your reserved seat.

Winning premeierships is a game of inches now..every tiny little advantage counts. We had a tiny adavantage. All our home games were at the one ground. I want it kept that way.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
riccardo
Saintsational Legend

I'm in favour of selling a home/away package of games to the Gold Coast.

I'd stop short of relocation, that is is not an option, but if it makes our travel arangements less strenuous in regards to Gabba, Subi, etc, I'm happy.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
saint66au wrote:

You don't get it RF.

Saint66 is talking not about home ground advantage, more supporter benefits.

All Saints fans get screwed at "away" home games....basically it's still an away game - the other team has first dibs on virtually everything - best reserved seats, corporate hospitality and benefits to sponsors.

At OUR REAL home games we are the priority and have TD set up the way WE want.

Also, we Dana on board, that prick Collo should be kept more honest and our total revenue generated from home games at TD should be considerably more than under the RB board (I hope!!!)

Of course, Westaway's mob may have proposed this as a deseperate way to generate more revenue......IF our final membership tally for 2008 is say only 28K, those 2K lost members over this year equates to approx. $200K of lost revenue (mix of adult and kids members).......The Dawks posted a $3M profit by prostituting themselves to Tassie.....that result alone may be what has tempted Westaway.

IF we aren't realistic flag chances for 2009, it may be worth considering, although Tassie was a debacle for us onfield - we played like Shyte there.

IF we play like shyte at the Gold Coast, are we just reinventing the wheel???
Last edited by saintspremiers on Tue 04 Dec 2007 9:50am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

rodgerfox wrote:
saint66au wrote:

So he means he will have to either buy a reserved seat and sit with the opposition or go to the 3rd level

Before Im 85
bozza1980
Club Player

Selfishly, i would prefer the Saints to play all home games at Telstra Dome. My reserved seat is a great place to watch footy from.

However this would be quite a deal for the club, if we could limit our interstate travel, doubly so if they were to play back to back games there.

Rather than playing 6 games in completely hostile environments we would play 3 in hostile and 3 in a non-hostile environment.

All I know is that my Dad (he lives in Brissie) would be punching the air at the moment, a chance to see the Saints 3-4 times a year would be quite a suprise.

4theluvoftheclub
Club Player

Hawks get $500, 000 per game in Tassie. I am sure we would expect a pay day too for playing these games...it's obvious that Archie Fraser would not suggest doing it fun or a few members in QLD.

If we play :

1. the existing away game against brisbane
2. a home game against brisbane (transferred from TDome): and
3. an away game against freeo at carrara not Subi
4. an away game against west coast at Carrara not Subi( or versus adelaide at carrar not AAMI)

and we pick up 1,500,000 for a year or two while we fix up the non footy revenue streams that Butterss and his numbers man Casey so thoroughly
stuffed up ( leaving us lower than Kagaroos in Revenue even after AFL subsidies are removed ), then DO IT!

We lose one home game and hopefully pick up some serious capital we can invest in some ongoing non footy revenue opportunities , and fund the additional spend we need in footy and player injury prevention...and we hopefully play 2 fewer away games at Subi/AAmi

Saints94
SS Life Member

bozza1980 wrote:Selfishly, i would prefer the Saints to play all home games at Telstra Dome. My reserved seat is a great place to watch footy from.

However this would be quite a deal for the club, if we could limit our interstate travel, doubly so if they were to play back to back games there.

Rather than playing 6 games in completely hostile environments we would play 3 in hostile and 3 in a non-hostile environment.

All I know is that my Dad (he lives in Brissie) would be punching the air at the moment, a chance to see the Saints 3-4 times a year would be quite a suprise.
I love sitting on the wing

bob__71
Club Player

why would we get paid for the crows freo or west coast or port moving their home games to the gold coast...and why would those teams be willing tomove their home games????