Numbers for new players

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainter_4_life
Club Player

Numbers for new players

Not sure if people have seen this or not, but all the new guys now have numbers

http://www.saints.com.au/TheClub/Player ... fault.aspx

S. King - 2
B. McEvoy - 5
A. Schneider - 13
S. Dempster - 24
C. Gardner - 28
J. Steven - 34
E. Connors - 37

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Any movements of our old guys into new numbers? e.g. #4

Sainter_4_life
Club Player

No, #4 is vacant this year

midas_touch
Club Player

In the past 3 years, we have had 3 players who have worn the number 28. Hope Charlie Gardiner breaks this trend :P.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Halo-9
Club Player
Location: Giving the fruit loops and powder puff supporters the finger everyday!

Sainter_4_life wrote:No, #4 is vacant this year
Always been an iconic number in sainterland with guernseys,plugger lockett and andrew thompson have done it proud in most recent years :)

ST.KILDA are the BEST
So F**K all the REST

*BALLwagon Member #9*

SAINTS LOVE......................SAINTS FOOTY
|Andy|
Club Player

yeh saw that. no #4. hope the next wearer, whoever it may be will wear it with pride.

big_mac_evoy5
Club Player

i think bally suits it to a T he is a great leader, great bloke, young, tough and he will be our next non co captain.

i have said this so many times lol people will be getting sick of me i think number 4 should be out captains guernsey and there should be one captain. and if it is bally then we retire no.14 until he loses captaincy. oh and everyone one knows who went from 14 to 4 last time lol lets keep the trend going ahh

saints for the flag armitage for rising start
|Andy|
Club Player

big_mac_evoy5 wrote:i think bally suits it to a T he is a great leader, great bloke, young, tough and he will be our next non co captain.

i have said this so many times lol people will be getting sick of me i think number 4 should be out captains guernsey and there should be one captain. and if it is bally then we retire no.14 until he loses captaincy. oh and everyone one knows who went from 14 to 4 last time lol lets keep the trend going ahh
no...dont like it.. i dont get why everyone reckons we need to give 4 to someone who's good :S...i remember number 35 for Harvey, 14 for ball, 31 for maguire, 12 for roo...thats how i tell who the players are sometimes on the field...why do we have to keep changing the numbers so sometimes they cant be recogniseD??

esaint66
SS Life Member

|Andy| wrote:
big_mac_evoy5 wrote:i think bally suits it to a T he is a great leader, great bloke, young, tough and he will be our next non co captain.

no...dont like it.. i dont get why everyone reckons we need to give 4 to someone who's good :S...i remember number 35 for Harvey, 14 for ball, 31 for maguire, 12 for roo...thats how i tell who the players are sometimes on the field...why do we have to keep changing the numbers so sometimes they cant be recogniseD??

i agree intirely 1 because of being able to recognise them 2. because if you give it to some young player and you explain to him the importance of the number 4 in our club then that will give him a huge ammount of confidence

|Andy|
Club Player

saint edward wrote:
|Andy| wrote:

i agree intirely 1 because of being able to recognise them 2. because if you give it to some young player and you explain to him the importance of the number 4 in our club then that will give him a huge ammount of confidence
no, its by not explaining to the player the significance of the number, and let him find out by himself that would be more benefiticial. to have the club telling him the significance of the number would just put pressure on him, not elevate him to fill in the shoes of locketts or thompsons.

esaint66
SS Life Member

|Andy| wrote:
saint edward wrote:
|Andy| wrote:

no, its by not explaining to the player the significance of the number, and let him find out by himself that would be more benefiticial. to have the club telling him the significance of the number would just put pressure on him, not elevate him to fill in the shoes of locketts or thompsons.
yeh i spose your kinda right but whats say he never finds out someones gonna have to tell him sooner or later

nicko016
Club Player

When handing on jumper numbers it needs to be considered that many players like to establish their own number. Just look at Roo and Bally who decided to keep their own numbers instead of the number 1. It can be a great ideas for younger players around 19-20 as long as there isn't too much pressure. However, even at this age some players might like to keep their own number and make that number their own. then once they have got older to around 23-24 they have normally already made the number their own. I guess the decision has probably got to be up to the player on what they want to do.

|Andy|
Club Player

saint edward wrote:
|Andy| wrote:
saint edward wrote:
|Andy| wrote:

yeh i spose your kinda right but whats say he never finds out someones gonna have to tell him sooner or later
lol, if he doesnt find out that # 4 used to belong to lockett, thompson etc..we'd have to double check to see if he's even inlisted as a player.

esaint66
SS Life Member

|Andy| wrote:
saint edward wrote:
|Andy| wrote:
saint edward wrote:
|Andy| wrote:

lol, if he doesnt find out that # 4 used to belong to lockett, thompson etc..we'd have to double check to see if he's even inlisted as a player.

hahaha yeh i spose your right i just thought it would be good like what the hawks are doing with there new recruits they get peter knights to give them a tour of the new muesem there but i dunno theres always interstate players

|Andy|
Club Player

saint edward wrote:
|Andy| wrote:
saint edward wrote:
|Andy| wrote:
saint edward wrote:
|Andy| wrote:

hahaha yeh i spose your right i just thought it would be good like what the hawks are doing with there new recruits they get peter knights to give them a tour of the new muesem there but i dunno theres always interstate players
yeh, the club could do that too.. always good to knoow a bit of history of what you're about to become a part of.

esaint66
SS Life Member

|Andy| wrote:
saint edward wrote:
|Andy| wrote:
saint edward wrote:
|Andy| wrote:
saint edward wrote:
|Andy| wrote:

yeh, the club could do that too.. always good to knoow a bit of history of what you're about to become a part of.

yeh hawthorn would always do that being called the family club and all but i just thought it would be a nice thing to welcome the new recruits in and make them feel welcome on and off the field. btw look at all the quotes looks like a birds eye view of a pyramid hahaha

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Guys, I'd be checking back a bit further into our history for the significance of the no. 4 jumper. Just a hint, have a look at the '66 Grand Final.

Huzzad
Club Player

Hasn't the new numbers been up on the site for well over a month now? There's also a thread kicking around on here about it from way back...
Old news is good news too I suppose.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

It amuses me to see Plugger linked with No.4 all the time. He played his best football with No. 14 for us. He won his Brownlow with 14 as well. That is how I remember him

esaint66
SS Life Member

snoopygirl wrote:Guys, I'd be checking back a bit further into our history for the significance of the no. 4 jumper. Just a hint, have a look at the '66 Grand Final.

hah yeh i was wondering when someone was gonna get around to darrel baldock haha

esaint66
SS Life Member

i think where also forgetting another very special player in our history. answer me this who wore the number 4 from 1972 till 1982?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:It amuses me to see Plugger linked with No.4 all the time. He played his best football with No. 14 for us. He won his Brownlow with 14 as well. That is how I remember him
You forgotten 91 and 92.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

saint edward wrote:i think where also forgetting another very special player in our history. answer me this who wore the number 4 from 1972 till 1982?
Barry Breen

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
esaint66
SS Life Member

bobmurray wrote:
saint edward wrote:i think where also forgetting another very special player in our history. answer me this who wore the number 4 from 1972 till 1982?
Barry Breen

haha exactly