Club or the Team??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

|Andy|
Club Player

Club or the Team??

Ok, well personally, i started barracking for the team St Kilda without the knowledge of any of the players except maybe riewoldt, and no clue what the players were like... well i followed saints because my friend did as well.

Anyways, getting to the point, once you know who all the players are and all about it, im sure most of us think of St Kilda as the team of players, not a club. So if say, just for the sake of Discussion; if all St Kilda's players got transfered to Geelong, and Geelong's players viceversa; would you still follow St Kilda as a club, or would you change to Geelong?

I think the point im trying to get to is, does the team make the club? or is the team just part of the club, and it is the club that matters?

Darren
Club Player

I'd stick with the club still. :P

esaint66
SS Life Member

i would still definately support stkilda as a club because players come and go but its the club that you love. Thats the thing that will never change just the players that come and go.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

The old saying goes...

'No individual is bigger than the club.'

I'd never leave 'My Club'.

They walk amongst us...

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

well when you have barracked for the club for a fair while you have seen completely different teams. But only one club.

In other words I barrack for the club, and who plays for the club, not individuals or a team as a whole but ST KILDA.

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

I'm actually the opposite, i go to watch the 22 guys play who i've grown a kind of emotional attachment to, so the 'name' of the team isn't as relevant as the guys who make up the team to me

but but its never going to happen, so i guess i'll never have to make that decision :)

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I follow the jumper.

“Yeah….nah””
|Andy|
Club Player

i'm along the same line as the DUD!!!.. i mean, i havent lived to see like 5 generations of st kilda players play, so i am attached to our current 22, rather than whoever is wearing the red white and black.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Innaresting thoughts from a youngster, who will, no doubt, mature and grow to love the club first.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

every year the team is differant be by delistings trading retirments players come and go but the club is constant . by supporting the club you support the clubs past preasent and future . im only 25 and i never had the pleasure to see plyaer like doc cowboy big carl play but i still think they are great .. i never saw george younge play but i met him the other day and i was like a giggleing kid cause he was part of our club !!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Huzzad
Club Player

I follow the team/club. Players always come and go but the club is always the same. I have been following the saints constantly since 1996 and the only player still playing from that squad is Robert Harvey. I love the Saints and always will, no matter who plays for us and who leaves. Players represent the club, not themselves.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
ben_fff
Club Player

Club by far, guys like Lappin, Smith and Everitt were amongst my favourite players, I never considered supporting any one else when they left.

(I'm 21)

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

club, colours, history....its all apart of you! you cant ditch the club for players!
never!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
esaint66
SS Life Member

|Andy| wrote:i'm along the same line as the DUD!!!.. i mean, i havent lived to see like 5 generations of st kilda players play, so i am attached to our current 22, rather than whoever is wearing the red white and black.

when some of this 22 move on you will start to support the club rather than the team.

Lennon
Club Player

I'm pretty attached to the guys we have at the moment.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Reminds me of a young girl who was on the forum years back.

Her username was SpiderGirl... obvious an Everitt fan.

When 'Peter' left the club for Hawthorn... she also went.

That is the kind of supporter I wish we didn't have to put up with... atleast we know she hasn't seen too many wins in her lifetime :lol:

They walk amongst us...

luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

I think I'm a club supporter as well.
I too used to like Spida and more recently Heath Black.
However could never have dreamed of leaving the club to follow them.
I want to see the club win a premiership just as much as I would like this team or any other team we have to win one.

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
esaint66
SS Life Member

like russell holmesby once said ' supporting st kilda is like taking out the same lotto numbers every week the chances of winning are minimal but you would never be game to give up for a week because that might be the week when something happens against all logical odds.'
its the club i would find it impossible to support one or two players.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

I saw Ian Stewart depart us for Richmond.
I saw Big Carl depart us for Melbourne.
I saw Plugger depart us for Sydney
I saw Nicky Winmar depart us for Footscray.

Since 1962 I have never once considered supporting any other team/club than St.Kilda.

HSVKing
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:I saw Ian Stewart depart us for Richmond.
I saw Big Carl depart us for Melbourne.
I saw Plugger depart us for Sydney
I saw Nicky Winmar depart us for Footscray.

Since 1962 I have never once considered supporting any other team/club than St.Kilda.
I saw Sam Cranage depart us for Carlton...

Neither did I :lol:

They walk amongst us...

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

to clarify, i will never change from StKilda, and have never even considered the idea (even when Plugger left), and of course the list changes every year and players you like leave the club.

But if the whole list got wiped and replaced with 40 new players, i don't know how connected i'd feel to them as a team anymore, and probably wouldn't have any great desire to watch them every week

but like i said, its a situation thats never gonna happen

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
esaint66
SS Life Member

The_Dud wrote:to clarify, i will never change from StKilda, and have never even considered the idea (even when Plugger left), and of course the list changes every year and players you like leave the club.

But if the whole list got wiped and replaced with 40 new players, i don't know how connected i'd feel to them as a team anymore, and probably wouldn't have any great desire to watch them every week

well said :)

|Andy|
Club Player

saint edward wrote:
The_Dud wrote:to clarify, i will never change from StKilda, and have never even considered the idea (even when Plugger left), and of course the list changes every year and players you like leave the club.

thats why i wrote, for the sake of discussion. ofcourse it wont happen. just wondered on your thoughts but.

esaint66
SS Life Member

|Andy| wrote:
saint edward wrote:

thats why i wrote, for the sake of discussion. ofcourse it wont happen. just wondered on your thoughts but.

of course it will never happen im just saying i agree with what he said up until that change part but with what your saying if our whole list changed to geelong i would still support the saints because we would have at least 22 premiership players :) :lol:

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

CLUB!

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs