Intra-Club Match Reports

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Intra-Club Match Reports

Red Vs Black

Red had the better players but black gave up a good fight (possibly winning?)

Best on ground imo was Koschitzke.

Took everything in the air and gave a fantastic contest everytime the ball was in the forward line

Other good players were Harvey (looks so calm everytime he took possesion), Montagna (probably the highest possesion count), X.Clarke (did some very good things), Fiora (always seemed to be near the ball), M.GARDINER (brilliant in the ruck, gave "hitouts to advantage" on numerous occasions and picked up quite a few possesions. Im very very excited about him), #6 (Scorpians player, might have been Kyle Matthews? Was brilliant and would be well worth a spot on the rookie list), Rix (battled hard all day as the blacks #1 ruckman. Came out fairly even with King but Gardiner was the best of the three), Sam Fisher (had a few good runs, got caught a few times though), Geary (showed some good signs later in the match), and probably others that deserve a mention but i cant really remember

also Van Rheenen kicked something like the goal of the year from the carpark end forward pocket...got the crowd ooohhhhing

Generally the skills were much better than the standard of last year and years before. No major injuries that i noticed <fingers crossed> although Kosi had a front on clash with teammate Dempster in a marking contest and pehaps took a knee to the gonads but he came back on and Xavier seemed to hurt his leg in a marking contest but he got up slotted the goal and went off and came back on.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

finally a game report- thanks saintbot.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:finally a game report- thanks saintbot.
sorry it isnt much...i left ten minutes into the last quarter to avoid the traffic

a little hint to those who got held up in the queue trying to turn onto south road...go through the harvey norman carpark off linton street and it leapfrogs you out near the servo...saved us 10-15mins i reckon

any questions from anyone ill try and answer

sorry dont know the score though

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

thanks,

Great news on kosi and gards

Can't wait now.

gosaints
Club Player

Thanks a heap... great to hear for us people in the country.

Would like to know how Armitage, Howard and Eddy went if they played.

Also Raph Clarke if possible...

Cheers.

On the Bench
Club Player
Location: Perth. Where Foxtel has now allowed me to watch my beloved Saints each week.

Thanks Saintbot,

I've been waiting for a report for a couple of hours, refreshing the screen just waiting for a report. It's all sounding very promising. I feel the lid is being pried off. I've always been too excitable, and optimistic.

Couple of questions:

How did Ball go?

Any reports on the new boys?

I am still hurting from 71;
my gut churns thinking of 97;
2009 was agony,
2010a was a pleasure to watch only to be devastated by 2010 b.
It hurts barracking for the Saints
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Dont get too excited by M Gardiner. Went Ok but has a long way to go to get back. Just be happy he was on the park and played in al four qtrs.

However he looks very fit, as does King. We have a bloody big ruck division with those two and Rix (who battled hard) and Van Reehan who looks a prospect. (kicked a great goal).

Other good players - C.Gardiner looked good up forward, Dempster had some very nice cleandisposals and generally looked comfortable down back, reminds me of Sam Fisher a bit.

Raph Clarke had a very nice game down back and it is good to see him up and going early on.

Others to catch the eye. Allen has got an AFL footballers shape and looks very classy, and Jack Steven looked a fair player as well. Armo tried hard in the seconds team as did Howard.

No Gram, McEvoy,Fisher, HAyes, Hudghton, Riewoldt, Schneider, Ball, Goddard, Gilbert, Ferg, Fish, Goose, or Gwilt.

Even with those ommissions the red team looked pretty strong.

We have something this season - depth.

Oh and the reason the Lenny Hayes nterview was cut short - a little girl of about six tripped over the cord as she went onto the oval at halftime, strung up about six inches off the ground across the gate near the blue seats. Bloody dangerous.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Red team (the more senior team) won easily in the end. It was a free flowing game for the first three quarters, and the last quarter was a black team flood.

Kosi (Red team) was magnificient, against not much defense, but his kicking for goal was mediocre at best.

On rookies and new players, if Khan was the one that played in #46 (edit: No, it wasnt him) , then he's quite a bit smaller and shorter than I expected, but played well on Gehrig in the first half. Miles had a good run in defense too, with Allen and Chivers up forward. Van Rheenen had less than a handful of ruck contests, and mostly played up forward where he did quite well for the black team, and kicked the intra-club goal of the century, a 40m sprint to the ball, pickup off the ground and over the shoulder snap from deep in the pocket, easily the highlight of the day. Eddy and Armo both did well without being spectacular, Armo played most of the game on Dal Santo and kept him relatively quiet, Eddy saw a lot of the ball but found it in not so great situations and spent most of the day being tackled. Jack Steven didn't do much, and Geary played well in the second half. The best of the rookies (and in the top 5 on the ground) was Clint Jones, who kicked at least two goals and looked dangerous whenever he got it. Michael Gardiner looked the goods too, beating Rix more comprehensively than King did, and also did quite a bit of work around the ground. Dempster did some good things but wasn't too exciting ;). Charlie Gardiner is more slimly built than Howard, and he (Howard) played quite well as a defensive mid/wing/half back. James Wall (playing in #7 at the start) was one of the better players for Team Black and easily the best of the scorps listed players (who was the guy who looked like Mick Dwyer?).

Here's a list of players that didn't play.

Gram
McEvoy
L. Fisher
Hayes
Hudghton
Riewoldt
Schneider
Ball
Goddard
Gilbert
Ferguson
Maguire
Gwilt
Connors
Attard
Haretuku
Last edited by Otiman on Sat 09 Feb 2008 12:11am, edited 1 time in total.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

so there were four quarters? ( last year three short thirds)
did it rain- I've followed a rainbow for the last hour and half

are you saying one team definitely had more of the ' first game' team than the other?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Darren
Club Player

does anyone have the final scores inc. goal kickers?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:so there were four quarters? ( last year three short thirds)
did it rain- I've followed a rainbow for the last hour and half

are you saying one team definitely had more of the ' first game' team than the other?
No rain, 20min quarters with no time-on.

Black team had the majority of the rookies and young players, and was outclassed in the one-on-ones, but strategically played very well together.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
red team had the "probables" black team was made up of rookies, scorps, and new listed players.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Ok ...home now....

Rocked up near the ground...for the first intra club game there was quite a big crowd...so ducked into some side streets using knowledge gained from when we used to play AFL games there.

Was hoping to spot the anti-saints ex -Councillor to park in his driveway...but no lick could not spot him.

Walked through the laneway to the ground with a growing horde....certainly brought back memories oga few decades ago.

Borrowed a team list fro someone that got there earlier than me...but numbers did not seem to match players!!!!

Anyway some observations.

Kosi..looked really good playing as a key forward, basically full forward....lots of good grabs, but his kicking was off in accuracy. He still kicked more goals than I sunk VBs though.

the GTrain was letting Kosi take centre stage...and just cruised around the pocket HF. looked ok. Looked VERY fit.

X...looked rusty in the first half but finished well in the second half.

Raph looked good all game playing down back.

Fiora a good steady game.

Dal...looks big across the shoulders...seemed to playa lot of the game floating around HF.

Clinton Jones....sorry MSG but his first half was actually really good....won a lot of footy and gave it off well including one very nice goal. Second half started with a stuff up...but generally worked hard and well.

Joey......dreamlike stuff. He was cruising, but had the air of a dominant player. Did some classy stuff and kicked a lovely goal. Looks set for BIG year if I am any judge.

King...some may not bea believer in rucks. But I am. King looked every inch a dominant ruckman. His body work at the centre ball ups was really good...and once the mids get used to his taps outs it will be something to behold. He worked hard around the ground and picked upa fair bit of ball and used it well.

King basically rotated off the bench with Gardi.. Gardi lacked touch....needs to play some games....but ran out the game which is a big step up.

Schnieder did not play.,,,as did Hayes, Roo, Ball, Gwilt

Dempster look good...was quite steady with good skills.

C Gardiner also looked ok but his accuracy at goal was not good. Mainly played forward.

Armo...may still not be fit as was with the trainers on occasion and seemed to be gasping for air. He may have just received a knock though.

Overall...skills were very good for this time of year.

My perception of the team was that they have slimmed down...more suited to a running game. Dal was bigger though...and VR is now massive unit.

Dream Donuts were excellent...and the mens loos just as horrid as they were during when we used to play AFL there.

The VB can were icey cold....so top marks to the club there and it shows that ice beats a fridge for cooling beer any day.

PS..if that was your Citroen watch were you park next time as Bruce Eva's constant wailing about was a big distraction!!!!!!!!
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sat 09 Feb 2008 11:21am, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Here's the teams as best as I remember, scorps players given as #'s.

Black Team
#6 (Matthews?)
#7 (Wall)
Armitage
Rix
Howard
McQualter
Steven
Van Rheenen
Eddy
Chivers
Miles
Haretuku (?)

Whereas Red team consisted of..

King
X. Clarke
Gehrig
Baker
Montagna
M. Gardiner
R. Clarke
Fiora
Birss (except last quarter where he switched teams)
Koschitzke
Dempster
S. Fisher
Dal Santo
Blake
Gardiner
Harvey
Allen
Jones
Geary
Milne

So, more like a punching bag than a sparring partner for the red team :)
Last edited by Otiman on Sat 09 Feb 2008 12:13am, edited 1 time in total.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

yeah, i went!
good game! kosi was BOG i would think.
that Luke V guy kicked an awesome goal!
from what i saw the red team won easily, but some say it was a close game???? :shock:

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

thanks guys- sorry otiman i was obviosuly typing my questions while you posted your report

you mention rookie clinton- he is now on the team but i assume you mean a new guy.

schneider has been with the less- or rehab type group at training this week.- maybe preventative or slight niggle.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Darren
Club Player

can someone describe how he kicked the goal? i'm interested to know. :D

Raven
Club Player

Best on ground for me were Joey, Raph and M. Gardiner - it's been so long since I've seen Gardiner play that I couldn't help but get a little excited every time he had a touch. He looks good considering how long he's been out of action, and with a few proper games under his belt he'll be much further down the track. Man, I can't wait to see how well he does in the H&A season.

Did that car ever end up getting moved? I wonder if it wasn't actually someone at the game, but rather someone who just parked there and went elsewhere.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Darren wrote:can someone describe how he kicked the goal? i'm interested to know. :D
From Otman.

Van Rheenen had less than a handful of ruck contests, and mostly played up forward where he did quite well for the black team, and kicked the intra-club goal of the century, a 40m sprint to the ball, pickup off the ground and over the shoulder snap from deep in the pocket, easily the highlight of the day

Lance or James??

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Dont get too excited by M Gardiner. Went Ok but has a long way to go to get back. Just be happy he was on the park and played in al four qtrs.
agree he has a long way to go but i thought his game today was as good (without being unrealistic) as we couldve hoped for

i was sitting on the win opposite the grand stand and i think he gathered quite a few possessions there

also one of my "love" childs :roll: Jason Blake had a fair game imo.

didnt make too many mistakes and in fact drilled one 30 metre pass right onto gehrigs chest. from todays game, i shudder at the thought, but i think if we were to play round 1 next week he deserves a spot in that side

however he must keep his form up in the nab cup

joffa i notice you said raph had a fair game. honestly i thought he was terrible. had countless clangers and was constantly putting his teammates under pressure with his disposals. im afraid he wont ever make it imo...i dearly hope he can

and otiman...im pretty sure McEvoy wasnt out there. #5 was a medium height player - i think it was ben fraser

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

who coached which?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Yeah, it was Ben Fraser wearing the no. 5 & also, Khan Haretuku didn't play.
It was good just to see Gardiner out there getting a kick & to see the improvement in most of the players during the off season. Jones disposal has improved markedly from last year. Some of the players seem to have bulked up a fair bit while others appear to have slimmed down.

I'm just glad I don't have to pick the team for rd. 1!

luke.l_26
SS Hall of Fame

I just wanna say, I am so stoked that I finally got to see some footy. Withdrawals have been giving me HELL for the past 6 months.

M. Gardiner - Huge an of his for ages and ages. finally glad to see him in red, white and black and playing extremely well.

Luke V.R - Local boy from sorta near my area. Kicked that awesome goal, had a chat to him later and he was convinced it was a fluke. But who cares it was brilliant anyway. He'll be a great furture prospect.

Dal Santo - Also spoke to him after the game and he was a bit disappointed in the way he played. David Armitage laid a mother of a tackle on him and caught him holding the ball. Had a very average game imo and his.

Good game overall,

BUT did anyone else notice that bakes wasn't out ther during teh warm down, and I didn't spot him during the autograph signings... he "appeared" to be limping toewards the end of the game.

P.S
Saintbrat, Eastern says sorry he didn't message you, He left your numer at home. LOL.

MWL - Blinding footy players on the field since 2003
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

SaintBot wrote: joffa i notice you said raph had a fair game. honestly i thought he was terrible. had countless clangers and was constantly putting his teammates under pressure with his disposals. im afraid he wont ever make it imo...i dearly hope he can

and otiman...im pretty sure McEvoy wasnt out there. #5 was a medium height player - i think it was ben fraser
Isn't it funny what individuals see :D. I thought Raph was good. Took numerous uncontested marks due to good positional play, and generally held the backline very well. Possessions a bit sloppy, however will improve with a full PS and will definately make it.

Blake was as ordinary as ever. Kick out on the full from about 30 metres out, dropped marks and generally was the same old Blake, and I am a rap for Blake and am not critisising him, just that he wasn't very good, in my opinion of course.

McEvoy didn't play.

Lance or James??

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Thought it was quite funny when the two teams were out on the ground to start the game in red or black jumpers & black shorts & then the AFL sanctioned umpires came out wearing red tops with black shorts. :oops: They had to put fluorescent green tops on.