2001 Super Draft Rerun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ace
Saintsational Legend

2001 Super Draft Rerun

First lets get rid of any criticism of any players.
Players are not responsible for where they are selected in the draft.
The responsiblity for picking the best players rests with the recruitment teams.
Players can only be expected to do their best.
If recruitment get it wrong - blame recruitment but they have an extremely difficult task without the benefit of hindsight.

How did we do in the 2001 super draft
If this draft were to be re run with the benefit of hindsight and the umpires did the selecting (they may be maggots but they are sometimes neutral) and based on how they voted in the Brownlow, this is how it would go
1 Ha – C Judd WC/CA 94 brownlow votes
2 StK – N Dal Santo STK 61 votes
3 WC – J Bartel GE 56
4 FR – S Mitchell HA 55
5 St K – L Hodge HA 44
6 WC – L Ball STK 24
7 NM – S Johnson GE 18
8 GE – J Kelly GE16
9 ME – L Montagna STK 14
10 FO – J Gram BR/STK 7
11 CO – D Rodan RI/PA7
12 AD – A Hansen WC 7
13 STK – A Schneider SYD/STK 6
14 NM – X Clarke STK 5
15 PA - G Polak FR/RI 5
16 HA – M Maguire STK 4
17 GE – C Browne HA 4
18 ES – L Roberts Thomson SYD 2
19 BR – B Reilly AD 1

40 Father Son gift from the AFL = GE – G Ablett GE 34

St Kilda had draft picks 2, 5, 13, 21, 37
They selected players 2, 6, 9, 14, 16
Those numbers say recruitment scored better than a par lets call it a birdy.

Hawthorn had draft picks 1, 16, 32, 36,
They selected players 4, 5, 17
That is a birdy too

West Coast had picks 3, 6, 22, 38
They selected players 1, 12
They could not retain the services of Judd so they only get a par.

Geelong had picks 8, 17, 24
They selected players 3, 7, 8
Wow! That is an eagle in any golfers language
Then they got player G Ablett with a father son pick at No 40, they definitely scored an Albatross
They got 4 of the best 10 players, St Kilda got 3 of the best 10 players but with much better pick numbers.

To be a top side you need to do better than par – the Saints and Hawthorn both did that but to be the best Geelong showed you need to do better than birdies.
Geelong was the best team last year because in recent years their recruitment was the best.
Good win finals, great wins premierships.

Hawthorn or St Kilda did not take the best player in this draft when they had the chance – they were both probably lucky they didn’t.
He is not loyal and Collingwood and Carlton would have been sniffing around with big money (over and above the salary cap).
Either St Kilda or Hawthorn would have been forced to surrender other players to retain him.

doggerel
Club Player

Wow you've put some effort into that , Ace, very interesting. As you say, the Cats got the cream, but you'd have to be happy with the Saints' return. I love it that we got NDS at 14 and Matt at 20-odd. Sam Fisher at 50 odd (not sure what year) is just about the best of those picks.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

doggerel wrote: I love it that we got NDS at 14
Sorry to correct you on this, but we got Dal at Pick 13.

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
TwoTowers
Club Player

Very interesting Ace. Disagree about Judd though. Personally I doubt that he would have left a Melbourne club had Hawthorn or the Saints drafted him. Came back to his home state after paying plenty of dues in the West. He is a footy romantic if I've ever seen one.

johnpeterbudgefanclub
Club Player

Judd got out because he didn't want to be associated with a drug infested footy club. I wouldn't want to be either. That's why we pissed Tarrant off.

Oh and nice return today Chris......3 kicks 3 handballs. Hopefully your bender tonight will make up for it with Mark Johnson and Dean Solomon.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Rubbish

If you leave G Ablett Jnr out of the equation (and what could we, or any other club, do about that one), I think that Ball, Dal, X, Joey and Goose vs
Bartel, Kelly, S Johnson, C Gardiner and D Johnson) you seem to have overlooked the last two) was basically a win for us.

The Class of 2001 has actually proved to be sensational for St Kilda, seeing as we have subsequently recruited J Gram, A Schneider and C Gardiner!!

If you are looking for the reasons that Geelong is currently a better team than us, you need to look elsewhere.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Saintschampions08
Club Player

meher baba wrote:Rubbish

If you leave G Ablett Jnr out of the equation (and what could we, or any other club, do about that one), I think that Ball, Dal, X, Joey and Goose vs
Bartel, Kelly, S Johnson, C Gardiner and D Johnson) you seem to have overlooked the last two) was basically a win for us.

The Class of 2001 has actually proved to be sensational for St Kilda, seeing as we have subsequently recruited J Gram, A Schneider and C Gardiner!!

If you are looking for the reasons that Geelong is currently a better team than us, you need to look elsewhere.
:roll:

Because Bartel won the brownlow, Ablett was arguably even better then bartel last year, and Kelly is slightly under both of them.
The only one of our players that can really compare to them is Dal, Ball is miles behind all of Johnson, Kelly, Bartel and Ablett.

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote: The Class of 2001 has actually proved to be sensational for St Kilda, seeing as we have subsequently recruited J Gram, A Schneider and C Gardiner!!
Don't forget Barry Brooks!

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.