tall forward out/tall forward in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

tall forward out/tall forward in

i haven't seen the game yet, but the scoreline shows that we again struggled to kick goals.

i would have had allen in for fraser to maintain the intimidating tall forward structure that we hope can trump a lot of teams this season.

in other words tall forward out/tall forward in.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 23 Mar 2008 10:48pm, edited 2 times in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

unless he has the ability to dob a 10 go haul...cause not much wouldve improved the scoring tonight..
god damn it was woefull.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

was it a case of not being able to get the ball down there? would an extra tall marking option have helped or wasn't it that sort of game?

what i'm asking is how does a team with our abundance of talent manage to kick only a piddling 50-odd points in four quarters of football?

guess i'll be able to see for myself tomorrow when i watch the replay

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

What if we'd kicked accurately from our scoring shots?

We had 21 shots on goal.

AFL footballers should be able to kick 14 of those at least IMO ...

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

Bigcarl, don't torture yourself with woulda, shoulda, couldas. The game was woeful, kicking for goal was woeful & even Plugger in our forward line wouldn't have made a difference. :? :wink:

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:What if we'd kicked accurately from our scoring shots? We had 21 shots on goal. AFL footballers should be able to kick 14 of those at least IMO ...
true. let's hope this match is an anomaly and we see a more free-scoring, risk-taking brand of football from our talented team.

because 50 points isn't going to win you too many games. hope that fraser back next week can get things moving a bit.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 23 Mar 2008 12:19am, edited 1 time in total.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

yup agreed, not enough from the forwards and nothing really from the mids when it came to goal kicking
im not sure on the marks inside 50 stat, that would be interesting to see, from what i remember it wasnt to many, not to many contested marks 25 meters out from the goals.
u'd think with kozi roo milne and schneids up there it would be enough talent.... but sydney just stop u from getting it up there easy by flooding, so the balls always hiting a pack and coming to ground, or in tonights instance, being turned over.
was bloody frustrating as hell to watch

Oh When the Saints
Saintsational Legend

Our structure gave us have 21 shots on goal (enough to win).

Ugly to watch, but not sure there's too much wrong when your gamestyle gives you 21 shots at goal.

There are no other teams that can play lock-down like Sydney, so with a bit of luck we should have more shots at goal against other teams.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

snoopygirl wrote:The game was woeful, kicking for goal was woeful & even Plugger in our forward line wouldn't have made a difference. :? :wink:
sounds unimagineably bad. talk about winning ugly

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

He played that day in the Scorpions practice match. I thought it was strange that we had Birss, Fiora and L fisher as emergencies with Hudghton and Gehrig not certainties.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Oh When the Saints wrote:What if we'd kicked accurately from our scoring shots?

We had 21 shots on goal.

AFL footballers should be able to kick 14 of those at least IMO ...
just watched the replay. imo 50 set shots at practice for schneider, montagna, fiora, milne and kosi, all of whom missed chances they should have nailed.

there were probably a few others who could do with it as well.

won't automatically stop them missing goals but it certainly can't hurt.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Apart from the terrible kicking, our forward line worked pretty well. Another tall forward would have been overkill. Ro and Kosi got in each other's way a few times - it would have been shocking with Gehrig/Allen in there.

Fraser will be picked if fit, but I wouldn't expect to see Roo, Kosi and Gehrig all on the ground and playing forward too often.

Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Fraser will be picked if fit, but I wouldn't expect to see Roo, Kosi and Gehrig all on the ground and playing forward too often.
I would and I would expect each to be assigned a small to be at their feet, milne, schneider and a resting mid (X or Ball).

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Fraser will be picked if fit, but I wouldn't expect to see Roo, Kosi and Gehrig all on the ground and playing forward too often.
i'd expect to see it every week.

who knows. that way we might be able to kick more than 50 points in an entire four quarters of football.

having many reliable and consistent avenues to goal and putting a score on the board are where we fell down badly last year.

we have the luxury of having tall forwards who are the envy of almost every other team and we should use them to stretch our opponents' mediocre resources to breaking point.

just imagine the havoc fraser can cause when being picked up by the opposition's third best tall defender. should be like shooting fish in a barrel for a gun like him.

and imagine the crumbing opportunities it should present

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Ghost Like wrote:
I would and I would expect each to be assigned a small to be at their feet, milne, schneider and a resting mid (X or Ball).
so each of the 3 Divas would have his own crumber. interesting idea. i like it

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:just imagine the havoc fraser can cause when being picked up by the opposition's third best tall defender. should be like shooting fish in a barrel for a gun like him.
Gehrig will NEVER be playing one-on-one with the opposition's third tall defender. No coach in the competition would allow that. If you put more and more tall forwards in there it just means that the opposition will flood like crazy and it will result in more scrappy, low-scoring games.

When given space, all three of our tall forwards are excellent targets. But if the opposition has no option but to play 15 players in our forward line then it doesn't matter which forwards are in there.

Just imagine that Brisbane recruit Fevola and Pavlich at the end of the year. Do you think Lyon would just let Goose, Max and Gilbert go one-on-one against Brown, Fev and Pav while the likes of Bradshaw and Brennan would be picked up by Chips and Raph? No. He would have every Saints player within 60m of the opposition goals every time they try to move the ball forward, and no more than 12 goals would be scored in the game.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Gehrig will NEVER be playing one-on-one with the opposition's third tall defender.
that would mean that either riewoldt or kosi would get their third-best tall and i could live with that.

having three talls down there means, once and for all, that the opposition will never again be able to double or triple-team riewoldt as we have seen so often in the past.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 23 Mar 2008 3:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:Gehrig will NEVER be playing one-on-one with the opposition's third tall defender.
that would mean that either riewoldt or kosi would get their third-best tall and i could live with that.
You are joking, right?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
You are joking, right?
absolutely not. what makes you think that?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:having three talls down there means, once and for all, that the opposition will never again be able to double or triple-team riewoldt as we have seen so often in the past.
Having three talls down there means that Riewoldt, Kosi and Gehrig will be competing with most of the opposition every time we go forward. EACH of them will be triple-teamed.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Having three talls down there means that Riewoldt, Kosi and Gehrig will be competing with most of the opposition every time we go forward. EACH of them will be triple-teamed.
not if they don't have time to get back there, they won't.

that's why we need long, quick and direct delivery.

that's where gram, bj, montagna, dal etc come into it.

trust me. it will work and once it does we'll be kicking more than 50 points each week.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 24 Mar 2008 12:11am, edited 1 time in total.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

mad saint guy wrote:Having three talls down there means that Riewoldt, Kosi and Gehrig will be competing with most of the opposition every time we go forward. EACH of them will be triple-teamed.
There's no team in the league that would handcuff their attack by dropping back that many extra players. Teams drop back one player, two at most.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

had dinner with a carlton mate tonight.

he said they might be able to cover riewoldt, but have no-one for either gehrig or kosi.

believe me, other clubs are intimidated by our tall forwards and we should do nothing to ease their concerns.

i certainly didn't try to make my mate feel any better about it.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:had dinner with a carlton mate tonight.

he said they might be able to cover riewoldt, but have no-one for either gehrig or kosi.

believe me, other clubs are intimidated by our tall forwards and we should do nothing to ease their concerns.

He's obvioulsy not one of the posters to Tanking Carlscum - 5 pages of how they are going to beat us this week.
It's unbelievable how a team with so many 'champions' cannot win a game?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
bigcarl wrote:had dinner with a carlton mate tonight.

He's obvioulsy not one of the posters to Tanking Carlscum - 5 pages of how they are going to beat us this week.
It's unbelievable how a team with so many 'champions' cannot win a game?

well unlike some of those clowns over there I actually rate this guy's knowledge on football.

having said that, they are not all as stupid as they seem. their main concern is how they plan to stop the 3 Divas.

here are some of their worries:
God knows how were going to stop Reiwoldt, Kosi and Gehrig
I like Waite on Reiwoldt, Jamison on Gehrig and Setanta on Kosi. Either way you look at it we will be undersized. Its up to these defenders to help each other.
How the hell do we stop the Krauts. all those Germans in that side. our only hope is if they
decide to march insted of run
The Saints are on a record winning streak against Carlton, with 9 in a row their all time record. Making it 10 would be hard to take