Who Goes?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Quixote
SS Life Member

Who Goes?

There are at least four starting 22 players to come back in to a winning team.

Gehrig - Maguire - Goddard - Baker

Keeping in mind Blake also

So, supposing Blake wasn't injured, and will be rotated with players like L Fish, Geary, depending on opposition structure, run and height - who goes for the other four?

Interested to hear your thoughts, armchair coaches!

I would say, at a guess -

Gehrig - Fiora. Not ideal to lose a runner, but who else? Hope to hell they don't drop a ruckman and move Kosi or Blake in there
Maguire - The L Fisher spot, which BJ can fill? Or Gilbert
BJ - Raph
Baker - Geary

I guess its a question of structure also. Enough from me.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Your choices are what i would have picked!

Before Im 85
james rose
Club Player

I think out of those 5 this week the max they will bring back is

BJ- Fiora prob, although I like him : (
Gehrig- L Fisher prob (which is hard because he did his job! depth!
Blake- Gilbert now this would be a hard decision

essentially those who I considered outside of above

a ruckman
charlie (felt he had some poor skill errors, blake style.. don't get me wrong I love both because of everything else they bring to the team)
Max (felt if hall had of been even slightly on his game he had max covered, although max showed his textbook spoiling a few times)

this is fantastic, I find myself saying wait until those players are tearing it up in the reserves

particularly with blake and bakes, they may have to work to get back in the team.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I don't see Blake getting into the 22 anymore and I have always been a fan...
I would say that the players to be dropped will be 1. Fiora 2. L.Fisher 3. R.Clarke 4. Geary
Replace those 4 with Goddard, Maguire, Gehrig and Baker and we have a solid looking side, it is a shame to lose Fiora's run however I believe that Goddard and Baker can make up for it. We sorely missed some class defense last night IMO (even though they were great on the rebound).

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
ace
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Fisher's shutdown of Adam Goodes was so good even Stevie Baker would have liked to own it.
I think Leigh Fisher will get the taggers role until Baker returns from his corrupt suspension.
Leigh Fisher may then only get a a game as a second tagger or if a taggee is too tall or too strong overhead for Baker.

Raph Clarke played well and made fewer errors, he may be on the verge of a great season but will be replaced by Goddard if other defensive injuries don't rescue him.

Fiora will be first out so that means next week Gehrig in : Fiora out

Maguire wil eventually push Gilbert out of defence, but Gilbert can play forward, back virtually anywhere so will probably stay in to cover other injuries.
Last edited by ace on Sun 23 Mar 2008 11:20am, edited 1 time in total.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

If Leigh Fisher continues his form as a tagger Bakes may not make it back automatically. You don't dump a player playing his role well without excellent reason. Just having Bakes available (after R6 or whenever he's elligible) is not excellent reason.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Leigh Fisher will get his big test as a tagger next week.
He will be told shut Judd down just like Bakes.
Make him so frustrated that he hits you.
Do that job well and Bakes will get nervous.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

bit of a difference between judd and goodes leg speeds tho.
i would like to see fisher given that job actually....lets see how good he is at shutting a player out of a game.
you reckon he'll get the job?

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote: Raph Clarke played well and made fewer errors, he may be on the verge of a great season
you must be kidding, right?

All posters are equal, but some posters are more equal than others.
crowjelly
Club Player

These are good problems to have.

There were far too many errors made last night - I'd be focussing on those players first and make the forwards accountable for the extremely poor goalkicking.

No use having all those talls, if we're not going to get the ball to them quickly in space.
Why we played Sydney at their own game, still has me scratching my head!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

crowjelly wrote:No use having all those talls, if we're not going to get the ball to them quickly in space. Why we played Sydney at their own game, still has me scratching my head!
has me puzzled too.

glad to get the points but make them play us at our game.

set the agenda, don't respond to it.

Huzzad
Club Player

The_Dud wrote:
ace wrote: Raph Clarke played well and made fewer errors, he may be on the verge of a great season
you must be kidding, right?
I had to read that twice too. Though any chance of that was wiped out after last night's effort. I'm all for Raph becoming the player we want him to be, I just think after all the games he has done, he has shown very little sign of playing an error-free game.

www.wikisaints.com - Your Online St Kilda Encyclopedia!

www.truesainters.com - A Friendly Forum Alternative

http://truesainters.wordpress.com - Player of the Round articles, match previews and reviews
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

A number of posters called for dropping Geary. What game did they watch? He was in out best 5 for sure.
I dont think there will be many changes, maybe Goddard for Fiora. Gehrig if ready, well I cant suggest who would make way for him, except Jones.

savatage
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:A number of posters called for dropping Geary. What game did they watch?
I shake my head a lot reading this site too.

F_Q_F
Club Player

savatage wrote:
borderbarry wrote:A number of posters called for dropping Geary. What game did they watch?
It was a solid debut, but I didn't think he played as well as he had done in the NAB Cup. He got a lot of easy ball and a few of his kicks put players under more pressure than they needed to be.

Not bagging the kid, overall he played well but with the likes of Goddard coming back in it will be tough for him to keep his spot.

Most of the errors just came from inexperience at the top level, just little mistakes, but he has good composure and reads it well. Would like to see him get a couple more games just so he gets a taste before we bring back Baker and/or Goddard.

savatage
SS Life Member

F_Q_F wrote:
savatage wrote:
It was a solid debut, but I didn't think he played as well as he had done in the NAB Cup. He got a lot of easy ball and a few of his kicks put players under more pressure than they needed to be.

Not bagging the kid, overall he played well but with the likes of Goddard coming back in it will be tough for him to keep his spot.

Most of the errors just came from inexperience at the top level, just little mistakes, but he has good composure and reads it well. Would like to see him get a couple more games just so he gets a taste before we bring back Baker and/or Goddard.
I completely disagree. I thought he was one of the more composed players on the park. He did a lot of behind the scenes, quick disposals & dish offs that most people didn't even notice.

A couple of his disposals weren't great, but he did have over 20 of them. There's probably ten players that weren't to his level on the park. An excellent debut if you ask me.

Brooksy_Babe_24
Club Player

Have I missed something why does everyone think Goose should be automatic selection when fit enough.
he's been out for almost 2 years now and is not the player he used to be.
people have past him he should be made to earn his spot like everyone else.

Goddard however hasn't missed a beat and should come in as soon as possible we miss him alot.

Brooksy I'll never Forget you

AKA Austinn's_Honey & Troy's_Gal
NEVER EVER BAG YOUR OWN PLAYERS

http://blog.myspace.com/sexc_saz
Quixote
SS Life Member

Brooksy_Babe_24 wrote:Have I missed something why does everyone think Goose should be automatic selection when fit enough.
he's been out for almost 2 years now and is not the player he used to be.
people have past him he should be made to earn his spot like everyone else.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Brooksy_Babe_24 wrote: Goddard however hasn't missed a beat and should come in as soon as possible we miss him alot.
Did Goddard tell you that himself???

I don't know how jones has cememted a spot all of a sudden...

Raph and Geary were much much better

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:A number of posters called for dropping Geary. What game did they watch? He was in out best 5 for sure.
I dont think there will be many changes, maybe Goddard for Fiora. Gehrig if ready, well I cant suggest who would make way for him, except Jones.
Geary was good and didn't do anything wrong, but top 5 i don't really think. He got plenty of the ball, but they were just easy kicks to him on half back. It's not like he won the ball. Numerous times he just stood stagnant with it, when he could've moved forward. He didn't muck up too much, but he just didn't do a lot either. Doesn't deserve to be dropped on form, but if someone better is comming in like Blake, then I would drop him possibly if they wanted experience

Carpe Diem
terry smith rules
SS Life Member

I know I will be howled down for this but...

not sure that Baker is a walk up start anymore, I mean he is a legend but I felt that towards the end of last year and then again in the nab cup he looked a little slow

he seemed to be caught out alot and against the quality players he gets that can be telling

also not sure that schneider is a walk up first 22 player

as swans supporters will tell you and was seen on sat night when he is bad (or does a bad thing) it's really bad, not sure that he is consistent enough

fqf

matrix
Saintsational Legend

baker should and will walk back into the side.
i'll be pissed off if he doesnt.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I would wait for a few weeks with BJ and Goose before putting them in.. I would rather see Armo get a run and put a bit more pressure on our midfielders for a place, and Geary should hold his spot, as should LFisher. Raph, Gilbert and Fiora just haven't hit the ground running so far.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I agree that Goose isn't necessarily an automatic selection. His form last year was horrible and if there isn't a suitable match-up for him (Brown, Hall, Hansen, Cloke etc) I don't think he should be picked.

I'm also not sure if we can play with King, M.Gardiner, Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Gehrig all in the side. It would leave our forward line permanently crowded and King/Gardiner would both have to spend half the game on the bench.

Against Carlton we will be fine with bigger, slower rucks and forwards because they lack any sort of size and don't have the discipline or fitness to implement an effective flood.

Assuming Goddard is ready, I would omit Jones and Fiora for Gehrig and BJ.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I'm also not sure if we can play with King, M.Gardiner, Riewoldt, Koschitzke and Gehrig all in the side. It would leave our forward line permanently crowded and King/Gardiner would both have to spend half the game on the bench.
if you are suggesting that kosi should once again be asked to fill a hole in the ruck then i disagree.

remove kosi's contested marking expertise from the forward line and it will be back to the kick-it-to-roo-and-fraser plan that saw us being the lowest scoring team in the competition in 2007.

kosi's ability to take strong contested marks is important in fighting the flooding tactics employed by so many teams and means that the opposition cannot afford to focus all its attention on stopping riewoldt.

i think a forward line containing fraser, roo and kosi can be devastatingly effective given quick, direct and long delivery.

that is the crucial part ... long, direct and quick delivery, which doesn't give our opponent the chance to get numbers back.

having three tall forwards might be a little unorthodox, but believe me, oppositions are fearful of how to counter it and to me that is a good thing.

but, msg, this is only my own honest, heartfelt and humble opinion :)