Is Jones Stiff?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Is Jones Stiff?

not getting a berth?
I would have him in the side before Fiora or Raph, but hey...it's really starting to look as we have some depth :D

bendigo bob
Club Player

As a honeymooners :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Aside from his mark, what exactly did he do last week? Sold Robert Harvey into trouble once, and that's about it.

Did more than Fiora though.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

bendigo bob wrote:As a honeymooners :oops: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:
PS ...your dog may have chicken pox :P

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Aside from his mark, what exactly did he do last week? Sold Robert Harvey into trouble once, and that's about it.

Fiora was alright. Wasn't on the ground a huge amount but when he was on he got a few touches and used the footy quite well. The game certainly didn't suit quick, skilled, outside flankers though.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:Aside from his mark, what exactly did he do last week? Sold Robert Harvey into trouble once, and that's about it.

Jones has proven to be a pacey ball carrier similar to his previous namesake, the kid is a class act , I'll grant you he was quiet last game but would be willing to give him another shot before the 2 I mentioned.
Lyon may be looking at some sort of balance, that is the only reason I can think of.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote:Jones has proven to be a pacey ball carrier similar to his previous namesake, the kid is a class act , I'll grant you he was quiet last game but would be willing to give him another shot before the 2 I mentioned.
Lyon may be looking at some sort of balance, that is the only reason I can think of.
Jones, A was a beautiful kick of a footy on either foot. :?

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Jones has proven to be a pacey ball carrier similar to his previous namesake, the kid is a class act , I'll grant you he was quiet last game but would be willing to give him another shot before the 2 I mentioned.
I appreciate your fanaticism, but Jones still has a lot to prove, from both a ball winning, and ball use perspective.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

pacey ball carrier like his namesake?

let me know when CJ learns to kick, switch play and set up play as good as his namesake.

chalk and cheese.

Superboot
SS Life Member

It was his best game for us. Whether he is stiff is another matter.

He did a fantastic cross-field run at one stage and got himself into good position on the other side of the ground moments later.

The mark was shear guts, and the goal that followed won us the game.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

ok.. comparing him to Aussie was a bit brash, but cut me some slack, the kid goes ok.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

he is a good kid i actually like him and think it sucked him getting dropped..

saintDal
Club Player

The reality is there are going to be guys that are stiff to get a run every week. Thats what happens when you have depth at a club. Something we are not used to.

It's going to be interesting when Goose and BJ come back. We'll be forced to drop some genuinely good players.

The Peanut
Club Player

As RL said - CJ needs to learn a bit to move into the AFL class after running amock in State comp.

But RL has given him a fair go so far - so I guess he rates him - plenty of time.

As his previous footy manager told me just after we traded him, "Jonesy will do 'anything' to make it at AFL level".

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

The Peanut wrote:As RL said - CJ needs to learn a bit to move into the AFL class after running amock in State comp.

But RL has given him a fair go so far - so I guess he rates him - plenty of time.

As his previous footy manager told me just after we traded him, "Jonesy will do 'anything' to make it at AFL level".
well hopefully he'll do a little more then!

Pity he was dropped - would've prefered him in as a reward for the mark and Fiora dropped, but on the upside, we are playing Calrtank, and Fiora should do quite well against a very soft underdone and undermanned side.

Blake and G-Train are big plusses and should help us get over the line (but no doubt with a struggle!)

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Good call by Ross... He really has shown he has his finger on the pulse.. Jones, by all means, deserves a spot on the list, but he is a long long way from being quality at AFL level... His mark was great, but that is it.. The rest of his game was quite poor...

His endevour is great, just doesnt have the weapons yet... He is obviously a late developer, so worth persisting with...

All in all, no, Jones is not stiff for being dropped..

#Raph and Fizz were both far better.. Fiora's reputation proceeds him too much; he was really quite good last sat...

Best team on paper in ages this week..

ThomasR
Club Player

Quite happy with this call - not because I wholly agree it was the right one but shows that selectors are taking more into account than individual moments of brilliance. Thought he was pretty average aside from that mark the other night.

ThomasR
Club Player

Must add that RL mentioned Raph in the best in the post-game, must be seeing something the rest of us aren't.

He is the coach though, I'll take his word for it.

Fiora.. borrowed time. Did look a bit more confident as the game wore on though.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote: Best team on paper in ages this week..
...Just wait another week, and fingers crossed no injuries this week and we'll have the great BJ back, and we'll be 2 or 3 players better with just one addition!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
The Peanut
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:well hopefully he'll do a little more then!

Pity he was dropped - would've prefered him in as a reward for the mark and Fiora dropped, but on the upside, we are playing Calrtank, and Fiora should do quite well against a very soft underdone and undermanned side.

Blake and G-Train are big plusses and should help us get over the line (but no doubt with a struggle!)
Yeah - I thought he was a bit stiff too - the selection committee are lucky enough to pick and choose to suit their game plan and match-ups.

Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

I would have thaught Raph was in more trouble than Jones personally.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
The Peanut
Club Player

Hurricane wrote:I would have thaught Raph was in more trouble than Jones personally.

BANG BANG
nah Raph needs game time to get confidence and match fitness so he can break games open imo - CJ is keen as mustard but is developing skills as we have seen

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:I would have thaught Raph was in more trouble than Jones personally.

BANG BANG
You really can't compare Raph to Jones if we need defenders IMO

Jones in NOT a defender much the same as Gram isn't either...

We seem to be stuck with Gram as a defender ATM...

For me Raph played a much better game in defence than Gram and I thought that Gram was the lucky one this week.

I know he is better than what he displayed last week and would have to improve a hell of a lot IMO..

He got "murdered" by O'Keefe last week and I don't care if some on here love him, he is the lucky one IMO

Again Raph played a better game than Gram so Raph deserves his spot IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Good point Peanut and fair enough too. Although I have never been a big fan of CJ or Raph, but both have massive potential and its nice to see RL will give Raph time to fulfill it and lets hope CJ will get more time in the future.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Jones inclusion could have given the kid the confidence needed to go on, but I have no agenda as some do on here(re other players and COACHES ), mine was a simple observation.
Go Saints.