Coach?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Gilbert=Legend

Coach?

Can we really consider Ross a coach for the future?

He said he has spent, i quote, 'hours', on out new game plan. Sure we looked really good in the first quarter, but after that it was as if the whole team changed, g-train looked out, the mid feild look out of touch and the back line was suffering becasue everyone else was stuffing it up.

If we had a new 'game' plan, why was ross during every break telling the players that he knew the bulldogs were 'coming' at us.

i quote 'We knew they would come out and do what they did'

One question, why would you worry about them when we played out best football since at least 2004.

I'm sorry, most will back ross, but i don't see anything in him and never had. If we don;t perform this year, his contract Must not be re-newed or we will going down the path of having all the skills and list, but not the performance.

One last question, Why does St.Kilda get all the new coaches. Personally, i believe we should poach some of great modern day coaches, Matthews would be somewhere to start.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

no i actually like lyon i liked him from the start

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

ralphysaints35 wrote:no i actually like lyon i liked him from the start
For any particular reason, at the moment I am on the fence, convince me otherwise...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
ralphysaints35 wrote:no i actually like lyon i liked him from the start
For any particular reason, at the moment I am on the fence, convince me otherwise...
sometimes i like him , last year i was on the fence a bit but this year if he doesnt perform maybe we should be looking elsewear

rexy
SS Life Member

Whether or not he can coach is very subjective, the question is, Is he coaching well?, Can he coach better?

He can obviously coach or he would not have got the job, we would not have won the pre season cup etc etc.....

If we dont play finals this year should he be sacked?

YES

Maybe this year?
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

My view is that he has had a year to set the team up more like he wants it.....

A list I might add that was in disarray.. with many lacks including an aging midfield, no rucks etc.

A list riddled with injury problems which is only now getting under control.

A list which post streak has barely put a 4 quarter effort in......

So he has this year to really get them playing like he wants them too.

This year to extract a decent regular workrate from them.

If he can't by seasons end...then judge him then.

But lynching him now in Round 3 of his second year?????

It is not RL's fault that many seemed to think that RL would take the job and then just start holding up the silverware.

Bomber did not do it in a year...nor that many others I would imagine.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Whether or not he can coach is very subjective, the question is, Is he coaching well?, Can he coach better?

He can obviously coach or he would not have got the job, we would not have won the pre season cup etc etc.....

YES
I would agree that he needs to make the 8.

hAyES
Club Player

Expect to be abused when certain people read this thread. Just warning you!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:Expect to be abused when certain people read this thread. Just warning you!
Gee that has never happened to me on this forum :wink:

widereceiver
Club Player

Re: Coach?

Gilbert=Legend wrote:Can we really consider Ross a coach for the future?

He said he has spent, i quote, 'hours', on out new game plan. Sure we looked really good in the first quarter, but after that it was as if the whole team changed, g-train looked out, the mid feild look out of touch and the back line was suffering becasue everyone else was stuffing it up.

If we had a new 'game' plan, why was ross during every break telling the players that he knew the bulldogs were 'coming' at us.

One question, why would you worry about them when we played out best football since at least 2004.

I'm sorry, most will back ross, but i don't see anything in him and never had. If we don;t perform this year, his contract Must not be re-newed or we will going down the path of having all the skills and list, but not the performance.

One last question, Why does St.Kilda get all the new coaches. Personally, i believe we should poach some of great modern day coaches, Matthews would be somewhere to start.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I've seen no evidence that Ross Lyon is under par for the course as a second year coach. His influence on list management has been fantastic.

The only area I can see him lacking in is motivation of the players, because if he talks to them like he talks to the media, it's no wonder we fall asleep at 1/4 time and 3/4 time.

widereceiver
Club Player

Pardon me.

We looked fabulous in the first quarter because the Dogs looked like they had polio. When they came back at us, we folded like a deck of cards. There has been no suggestion I have read here or elsewhere which explains it definitively.

I hate the corralling, negative style of play we've used so often, someone else thinks it's the surface at the dome, someone else that Lyon can't coach or that the players have no ticker.

Let's just hope they pull it back together and put the knives away until round 10.

Win more for Winmar
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Re: Coach?

Gilbert=Legend wrote:One last question, Why does St.Kilda get all the new coaches. Personally, i believe we should poach some of great modern day coaches, Matthews would be somewhere to start.
I hear Malcolm Blight is available*.

* 3hrs a week, and only if we chopper him to and from Moonah Links.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

widereceiver wrote:There has been no suggestion I have read here or elsewhere which explains it definitively.
Definitively, we fell asleep, and the dogs went man on man and beat us at every contest.

ROLS-LEE
Club Player

Posted: Tue 08 Apr 2008 12:20am Post subject: Re: Coach?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gilbert=Legend wrote:

even if we wanted blight he would never do it again. He is so anti st kilda its not funny. Listen to his special comment when we play the crows.

widereceiver
Club Player

Otiman wrote:
widereceiver wrote:There has been no suggestion I have read here or elsewhere which explains it definitively.
Definitively, we fell asleep, and the dogs went man on man and beat us at every contest.
No they didn't go man on man. They smashed us in the guts then ran away from us. But that still doesn't explain the fade.

Like I said, there has been no definitive explanation as to why we let that happen or any indication from the coach as to what strategies he employed to stop them...

I agree with you his media work is particularly boring

Win more for Winmar
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
A list I might add that was in disarray.. with many lacks including an aging midfield, no rucks etc.
Disarray??

We won 14 games in 06.

What was the secret to getting a list in disarray to 14 wins??

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

saintsRrising wrote: It is not RL's fault that many seemed to think that RL would take the job and then just start holding up the silverware.
I thought we went and got a new coach because that was what was required for silverware? In the NBA, NHL, MLB average tenure is something like 2 years, and if you look at a coach like Frawley it would appear that here too, often a coaches greatest impact is the first two years... are we saying that Lyon was ala Clarkson? Brought in to completely retool the list to play his kind of football?

If that's what's going to be required, I'm not convinced the list requires that, and unlike when we hired Lyon, there are now unemployed premiership coaches.

Seriously, I don't wat to lynch the guy, but I'm not content to have the primes of the careers of Reiwoldt, Kosi, Dal, Ball et al used on having someone learn the job.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote: , and unlike when we hired Lyon, there are now unemployed premiership coaches.

There were then too....but yes there are more now if you want someone past their best.

Dal'sGal26
Club Player

As soon as he puts Dal back in the midfield i'll consider him a coach for the future..

i <3 the red, white and black

Sainter for LIFE!
Scoop
Club Player

ROLS-LEE wrote:Posted: Tue 08 Apr 2008 12:20am Post subject: Re: Coach?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gilbert=Legend wrote:

even if we wanted blight he would never do it again. He is so anti st kilda its not funny. Listen to his special comment when we play the crows.
:shock:

Aaahhh......that was a joke, Joyce!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Extra! Extra! Read all about it......no I don't want to read about it anymore!!!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:Expect to be abused when certain people read this thread. Just warning you!
Except he raised decent discussion topics and didn't attempt to raise the agenda ridden GT bandwagon old chestnut as you obviousy and pointlessly did :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
rexy wrote:Whether or not he can coach is very subjective, the question is, Is he coaching well?, Can he coach better?

YES
I would agree that he needs to make the 8.
I can understand the whole he needs to make the 8.
But swaping and changing coaches is not the answer.

Lets say we don't make the 8 this year and we "heavens forbid" sack the coach. We need to find another coach, once again you can write off 2009 as the team needs to adapt to a new game plan and new style.
We then hit into 2010, what are you expecting a Flag or it is sack the next coach. We will never win a flag with the current list doing this.

What I am trying to say is that we need to keep the current coach and hope with the current players and coach we can push forward in 2009 (if we don't make the 8) otherwise a new coach would have us lose another year re 2009

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
rexy
SS Life Member

You are right in theory DSG. The problem is that this may be the best list we can put together for some time. RL was put in, or more correctly GT was replaced, as the club felt that we had the list but it was being mismanaged, the new coach would and I quote from memory "take us to the next step"

If he misses finals again this year then I can not see how the board could hold its nerve with him. The window has 2 more years at best IMO.

Not as much saying that I give him this year to perform or he should be out as saying I beleive this will be the case due to the necessity of success in the current climate.

Maybe this year?
karnak
Club Player

Ross Lyon will be our longest serving and most successful coach in history.

Give the guy a break, in my opinion he has 3 more years left irrespective of results. He will make this work its as simple as that.

Sam Gilbert you are an EXCITEMENT MACHINE!