change the forward line - goddard to FF?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

wolfpup
Club Player

change the forward line - goddard to FF?

our forward line is functioning poorly, with our big guns simply not firing at all

gehrig is still needed in the team at least as a decoy forward but cant we try goddard or maguire up front for something a bit different.

it will be good chance to mix things up a bit now with roo maybe out, kosi maybe suspended

i still think we do manage to get the ball out of defense reasonably well, its our attack into the forward 50 that lets us down

well all know it but we need goals from the 50m line from the midfield, players like heath black and joel smith (yes i know that is going back). both players managed to kick those long goals for us in critcal times of a game. eg look at luke hodge against brisbane who must have kicked a 60 metre goal in a critical time of the last quarter. where have those players gone????

also, if roo is ok after our 1 week break, maybe play him in a richardson type role?

just my 2 cents

matrix
Saintsational Legend

Re: change the forward line - goddard to FF?

wolfpup wrote: cant we try goddard or maguire up front for something a bit different.
no comment

oh, hang on.....
we have forwards already

bang goose up there and all of a sudden he's going to start to come good?
sad to say it but this young mans better football days pre injury have come and gone....and wont be coming back.
BJ is needed across the backline........no ifs no buts. the end.

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

last year before his injury, goddard had a spanker at CHF.

if we can get goose and max back next week, I can't see why goddard can't turn it on at CHF.

he did such a good impersonation of Reiwoldt he might as well have dyed his hair blonde and spiked it.

next game he was back in the HBF and then busted his shoulder :(

might be an opportunity.

from memory it was something like 15 marks 2 goal assists and 2 goals, some of the smarter supporters might be able to give correct data.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Carl Mynott
Club Player

Dan Warna wrote:last year before his injury, goddard had a spanker at CHF.

if we can get goose and max back next week, I can't see why goddard can't turn it on at CHF.

he did such a good impersonation of Reiwoldt he might as well have dyed his hair blonde and spiked it.

next game he was back in the HBF and then busted his shoulder :(

might be an opportunity.
I dont recall Goddard having a busted shoulder,i know he did his knee.....

When was that........

The more things change the more they stay the same
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:last year before his injury, goddard had a spanker at CHF. if we can get goose and max back next week, I can't see why goddard can't turn it on at CHF.
would be worth a shot dan, but don't expect anything adventurous or daring from this coach.

there's not a lot of lateral thinking that goes on down there.

very few ideas.

very few risks.

Richter
SS Life Member

Be fair Carl, it was RL who rotated BJ through CHF last year before his KNEE injury.

I'd certainly like to see BJ on the ball in an attacking sense though. Was he playing more of a key defensive role last night - didn't really see much of him. A shame as he's our best passer of the footy.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

Concur knee apologies

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Could work well as a hit-up forward who can roost it outside 50, leaving Kosi/G a more open forward line. Is our best passer inside 50 though, and with the way Gram's delivering it these days, we need all of them we can get.

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Re: change the forward line - goddard to FF?

matrixcutter wrote:
sad to say it but this young mans better football days pre injury have come and gone....and wont be coming back.
:? Has to much ability to say that, hes 24, 25 this month

Before Im 85
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
very few risks.

?????

Perhaps you did not notice that when Richo lined up on the wing....that RL left him unmarked.

Instead of manning him up...he preferred to have a man loose himself.

Given Richo's form of the last few weeks.....I would have thought that this was quite a risk.

I would guess that RL's logic was that he was in such good form that you would not stop him anyway...and instead sought to offset this by our loose player (which for part of the night was Dal) causing damage.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:
. Was he playing more of a key defensive role last night - didn't really see much of him. A shame as he's our best passer of the footy.
With Max out...and with Goose still underdone I think RL wants to have a tallish cool head back there to give Sam extra support.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Richter
SS Life Member

saintsRrising wrote: With Max out...and with Goose still underdone I think RL wants to have a tallish cool head back there to give Sam extra support.
I think you're right there SrS. Normally he plays more of a CHB/rebounding type of a role that gives him more opportunity to spray 50m passes straight up to CHF - didn't see so much of that yesterday.

It's a dilemma isn't it, as unfortunately Raph is not up to holding down a more purely defensive backman role.

Perhaps there is a role for Gwilt in this role vs Collingwood.

Max, Gwilt, Goose as key defenders; Baker on Didak. Leaves Sam Fisher more opportunity for rebounding - then BJ, Gram also for run/passing from the back - also more chance for BJ to rotate through CHF and Gram through the midfield.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I'll get shouted down for this but IMHO Raph Clarke is more a forward than a back. If anyone he should get a go. Charlie Gardiner needs to step up a little bit as well.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:I'll get shouted down for this but IMHO Raph Clarke is more a forward than a back. If anyone he should get a go. Charlie Gardiner needs to step up a little bit as well.
I don't think many would disagree with this post (reply if you do disagree).