Open Training Report - Wednesday 11th June

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Open Training Report - Wednesday 11th June

After a nice long ride in the windy conditions I finally arrived at Moorabbin at 3pm on the dot.

There was a big group in the square just warming up with some 25-30m kicks to a partner before splitting up into two groups. The rehab group doing moderate laps and stretching consisted of Brad Howard, James Gwilt, Leigh Fisher, Jason Gram, Robert Eddy, Jarryd Allen and Adam Schneider. Fisher and Eddy both had tights on one of their calfs and Gram had a big jacket on, perhaps a slight cold keeping him from training? Robert Harvey came out for a little while doing about two laps of 50m moderate running, 20m walking. Jayden Attard looked good but was just doing light foot skills with a trainer, which looked nice and sharp mind you.

Towards the carpark end there was a Junior/Casey group consisting of players such as Clinton Jones, Ben McEvoy, Jack Steven, David Armitage, Sean Dempster, Glenn Chivers, Jarryn Geary, Luke Miles and Khan Haretuku. They were doing a fairly simple kicking drill with Greg Hutchinson and Danny Sexton.

The Grandstand end had a more senior group with Aaron Fiora, Lenny Hayes, Andrew McQualter, Leigh Montagna, Stephen Milne, Charlie Gardiner, Nick Dal Santo, Matthew Ferguson, Shane Birss and Nick Riewoldt with Michael Rix joining them after training with the Casey group. It should please many of you that they all spent the session practising set shot goalkicking with John Barker. It started from about 35m out directly in front with a "Quidditch Pole" as their mark. A club camera man had set up a tripod with a video camera right where the mark was, which will be used to look at and hopefully fix any technique issues.

Absentees, remembering I got there possibly 15 minutes after the commencement of training, were Steven King, Xavier Clarke, Max Hudghton, Fraser Gehrig, Steven Baker, Luke Ball, Michael Gardiner, Raphael Clarke, Brendon Goddard, Sam Gilbert, Justin Koschitzke, Sam Fisher, Jason Blake, Matt Maguire, Eljay Connors, Luke Van Rheenen, Steven Silvangi and Ross Lyon.

Players started heading into the race at quarter past 3 and we're all gone by just after 3:30. Lenny Hayes and Stephen Milne were the last to finish, still having shots at goal. Glenn Chivers came back on and did a lap and was stretching as I left. Generally the atmosphere on the field was as quiet as I've ever witnessed. Very low intensity and a large number of no shows. If we are going by the old coaching myth "You only play the way you train," then I'm not very surprised that we are playing the way we currently are.

MadSaintFan
Club Player

If im being honest I have no real idea of the intensity or length of training sessions during the week.

What is it normally like? - on what days do the boys really stretch out and how intense do they get?
What are the usual rest days?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Life's pretty good really...what would that make it 15 minutes goal kicking practice all up? Total training of 45min?
I hear Neil Craig is thrashing them at the moment...!

Seeya
Batnoe

No show Ross Lyon

should he coach us?

maybe that is our problem, we cant learn his suposedly excellent game plan becuase he isnt there to teach them

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Chivers look good to go in the VFL this week? He's still listed as 1-3 weeks with the recovery from his foot injury.

Video analysis of the kicking, someone's been reading my posts. Hopefully video was taken from multiple angles (front and side).

Cheers for the in depth report, it's these kind of reports that have made the coaching staff paranoid about doing anything strategic in the open sessions anymore.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:No show Ross Lyon
It's okay, John Barker was there.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

should he coach us?

maybe that is our problem, we cant learn his suposedly excellent game plan becuase he isnt there to teach them

What a surprise.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:
My confidence has gone sky high now

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:
Otiman wrote:
If we kick at 80% accuracy and beat the swans with forwards that lead to the right places, don't get in each others way, and crumb properly, i'll eat my words.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:
bergsone wrote:
Otiman wrote:
If we kick at 80% accuracy and beat the swans with forwards that lead to the right places, don't get in each others way, and crumb properly, i'll eat my words.
so will I Otiman so will I,but cant see it hope i am wrong

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

I thought today's session was bizarre. I was expecting at least 1.5hrs of solid training and they pretty much had forwards kicking goals, mids and back line kicking at the other end and then attard kicking off to the side with the rehab group running.

My thoughts are that the saints have had other sessions training during the week and are conserving energy for the swans match. Definitely a different type of training.

Go saints in '09!
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

i_luv_nick_riewoldt wrote:I thought today's session was bizarre. I was expecting at least 1.5hrs of solid training and they pretty much had forwards kicking goals, mids and back line kicking at the other end and then attard kicking off to the side with the rehab group running.

My thoughts are that the saints have had other sessions training during the week and are conserving energy for the swans match. Definitely a different type of training.
Because you don't want the public and media seeing you actually trying.

SaintBot
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:
i_luv_nick_riewoldt wrote:I thought today's session was bizarre. I was expecting at least 1.5hrs of solid training and they pretty much had forwards kicking goals, mids and back line kicking at the other end and then attard kicking off to the side with the rehab group running.

Because you don't want the public and media seeing you actually trying.
Doesn't seem to affect Collingwood.

Oitman wrote:Chivers look good to go in the VFL this week? He's still listed as 1-3 weeks with the recovery from his foot injury.

Video analysis of the kicking, someone's been reading my posts. Hopefully video was taken from multiple angles (front and side).
From what I saw he did the kicking drill with Hutchinson and Sexton. Perhaps was undertaking his fitness test after training as he was the only player who came back out with runners, a fitness guy came out with him.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Open Training Report - Wednesday 11th June

SaintBot wrote:
Absentees, remembering I got there possibly 15 minutes after the commencement of training, were Steven King, Xavier Clarke, Max Hudghton, Fraser Gehrig, Steven Baker, Luke Ball, Michael Gardiner, Raphael Clarke, Brendon Goddard, Sam Gilbert, Justin Koschitzke, Sam Fisher, Jason Blake, Matt Maguire, Eljay Connors, Luke Van Rheenen, Steven Silvangi and Ross Lyon.
all in bold were out there early on- 2.30ish as Lenny did the press interview, as seen on some vision.
saintscentral.com,.au- lenny interview from today has quite abit of vision of the guys including Jayden Attard

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
jill
Club Player

Don't most teams opt for light training after playing on the hard Telstra Dome surface ? - especially after a Sun. game .

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Training (I use that word because that was what it was advertised as) was the worst I have seen in the past 4 years.

It's obvious that Ross Lyin has been told to have open training sessions by the Board.

Less than 45 minutes of skylarking. No serious training whatsoever.

Goal kicking practice? What a joke.
95% of shots missed. Nobody was serious about it (all laughing and lairising).

This team is going backwards at a furious rate.

Anyone (including players) planning holidays or weddings in September for the next few years, go for it.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigred
Saintsational Legend

John Barker = Fail.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

Otiman wrote:
Is that part of the succession plan?

We are all f***ed.

Too lazy to update my username
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Less than 45 minutes of skylarking. No serious training whatsoever.

Saintsational mentality at its finest, people will find any way of blaming the coach when it's clear that the players themselves just aren't switched on.

SteveStevens66
Club Player

Otiman wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:Less than 45 minutes of skylarking. No serious training whatsoever.

Saintsational mentality at its finest, people will find any way of blaming the coach when it's clear that the players themselves just aren't switched on.
If the players aren't "switched on" it means that Lyon hasn't been able to switch them on or more specifically, switch them on to play for him. And is it any wonder? He is an utterly colourless, charisma-less, boring drone. Who could he possibly inspire with his insipid manner?

Carna Saints!!!
Tassie Saint
Club Player
Location: In the wilds of Tassie - Where boys become men, and cousins become wives

with the largeish group of players mentioned who weren't out there, wouldn't you think that they were prob somewhere else with the coaches who weren't there also - maybe having a planning meeting or using the gym (do we have one??). I'm not happy with how the session sounds either mind you ( specially if it was the only training and it was as frivolous as it sounds, however just because you don't see something doesn't mean it's not happening.

Caaaaaarn you Sainters!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

tassie of that group mentioned

there were maybe only 6 that didn't atleast appear and then go off and do something else about half way.
and that included baker- in or just out of surgery, maguire, van Rheenan, Connors and even gerhig still recovering from surgery- Kosi after his knock last week was obviously on light program,

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Ice Wolf
Club Player

Maybe most of the others were with Ross taking harden the f*** up lessons

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Ross was probably out taking "how to present in a more manly fashion" lessons.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:Training (I use that word because that was what it was advertised as) was the worst I have seen in the past 4 years.

It's obvious that Ross Lyin has been told to have open training sessions by the Board.

Less than 45 minutes of skylarking. No serious training whatsoever.

This team is going backwards at a furious rate.

Anyone (including players) planning holidays or weddings in September for the next few years, go for it.
Yep totally agree with you, some of the boys were more excited about trying to kick the ball into the bins rather than participate in training. I was watching rooey kick for goals and i still think he has the yips missed a heap im afraid.

Go saints in '09!