RL Press Conference

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hotdish
Club Player

RL Press Conference

http://sportal.com.au/mediaplayer/audio ... efeat-2859

- Started off the game well, didn't capitalise, Sydney's even-ness in contribution brought them back into the game...
- Swung changes at 1/2 time that worked: Gram and S Fisher into the midfield and this brought us back into the game. These two, and Goddard will be going into midfield more from now on..."that's the way we will be going and we want to build to that type [fast, high skilled] of midfield"
- We are too predictable, too slow atm
- Perserverence important going forward from here; confidence is low...
- not worried about ladder position, but about the process [building confidence, working hard, team structure and work ethic] to be successful...
- RL wants to find out who are the players who are 'competitors', those who will press on [ie be with us in the future]
- WORK ethic, hard work, persistence mentioned alot.
- Develop List v Make Finals? Building team structure, work ethic, competitive spirit...where results will take care of themselves.

Basically finals aren't a chance now, develop list, find out who competitors are, and get structures right without worrying about results...

sounds like they'll be blooding more players with a view to a big clean-out at the end of the year...
Last edited by hotdish on Sun 15 Jun 2008 1:39am, edited 1 time in total.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

did he resign? (wishful thinking)

well at least he got a lesson in coaching from Roos who made changes quickly when he had to ...

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
hotdish
Club Player

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Obviously had enough of the insipid efforts which is a good thing. Glad to hear him acknowledge we need some more run through the middle and be prepared to lose a few clearances for a while to give Gram, Goddard, Fishers etc a go at it......interesting to hear that he played Dal, Montagna etc down back and it would seem hed like some defensive pressure learnt from them...

Id be glad to forget finals to be honest - focus on what we need to do to play 4 qtrs and to identify whose gonna be a player and identify the pretenders and send em on their way.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: RL Press Conference

hotdish wrote:- Swung changes at 1/2 time that worked: Gram and S Fisher into the midfield and this brought us back into the game. These two, and Goddard will be going into midfield more from now on..."that's the way we will be going and we want to build to that type [fast, high skilled] of midfield"
- not worried about ladder position, but about the process [building confidence, working hard, team structure and work ethic] to be successful...
- RL wants to find out who are the players who are 'competitors', those who will press on [ie be with us in the future]
- Develop List v Make Finals? Building team structure, work ethic, competitive spirit...where results will take care of themselves.

Basically finals aren't a chance now, develop list, find out who competitors are, and get structures right without worrying about results...

sounds like they'll be blooding more players with a view to a big clean-out at the end of the year...
i agree with the way he is thinking in many respects.

knowing what to do and being able to set it into action is two different things, however.

he needs to trust his instincts and do wha he thinks is right for the club ... REGARDLESS OF WHOSE NOSE IT WILL PUT OUT OF JOINT.

just for examples sake, if that means moving the skipper (or anyone else who might be considered "untouchable") from the position they feel most comfortable, then so be it.

if it means dropping a player he likes and respects then so be it.

footy is a tough business and, after all, it is his head on the block.

i would have thought our recent form and results would give him carte blanche to do whatever he needs to do to get us going again.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
hotdish wrote:- Swung changes at 1/2 time that worked: Gram and S Fisher into the midfield and this brought us back into the game. These two, and Goddard will be going into midfield more from now on..."that's the way we will be going and we want to build to that type [fast, high skilled] of midfield"

knowing what to do and being able to set it into action is two different things, however.

he needs to trust his instincts and do wha he thinks is right for the club ... REGARDLESS OF WHOSE NOSE IT WILL PUT OUT OF JOINT.

just for examples sake, if that means moving the skipper (or anyone else who might be considered "untouchable") from the position they feel most comfortable, then so be it.

i would have thought our recent form and results would give him carte blanche to do whatever he needs to do to get us going again.
If we could only get the 3 divas back we may be a chance.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:If we could only get the 3 divas back we may be a chance.
well we haven't been going too well since you dropped gehrig have we :wink:

no-one can put a score on the board.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

I would never drop G as I wouldnt have had him back in the side but then again comparing him to Kosi makes G look like Plugger and Coventry rolled into one.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:

A super post Carl - I agree wholeheartedly.

When you listen to Lyon its clear he KNOWs where our problems lie....what worries me is that hes caught in this "better make finals or Im gone" mindset and I hope thats not the case.

Make the changes Ross - play some kids, move a Riewoldt.

Youdr not gonna win a flag from 8th and we only want 1 thing - a flag. To be honest Id be happy if I started to see some new life in the playing list outside Dals, Roos, Balls etc and some football that at least demonstrated that we are heading ion the right direction. I reckon Ive seen 20 minutes here or there of what he wants us to do and to me it looks very good........we need to convert it to 4 qtrs for mine.

“Yeah….nah””
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I would never drop G as I wouldnt have had him back in the side but then again comparing him to Kosi makes G look like Plugger and Coventry rolled into one.
what about riewoldt then? what do you have to say about him?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

what about riewoldt then? what do you have to say about him?
As I have always said a FF. Went into the midfield tonight and didnt help the side at all as he is to far out from goal to have any effect on the game.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:As I have always said a FF. Went into the midfield tonight and didnt help the side at all as he is to far out from goal to have any effect on the game.
well play him at ff on the proviso that he doesn't dish every shot at goal off to someone else. make him take 100 shots at goal at training every night.

give him some space and get it in there quickly.

kosi chf, gilbert hff, riewoldt ff, milne and schneider crumbing.

looks pretty good on paper to me, dangerous even.

but if we keep getting spanked around the ground nothing is going to work.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:As I have always said a FF. Went into the midfield tonight and didnt help the side at all as he is to far out from goal to have any effect on the game.
well play him at ff on the proviso that he doesn't dish every shot at goal off to someone else. make him take 100 shots at goal at training every night.

give him some space and get it in there quickly.

kosi chf, gilbert hff, riewoldt ff, milne and schneider crumbing.

looks pretty good on paper to me, dangerous even.

but if we keep getting spanked around the ground nothing is going to work.
Not sure that looks to dangerous. Gilbert has done nothin to suggest he is a forward and niether has Kosi, Milne is Ok and Schneider at best is fair also only 5 players which means we are again outnumbered which is always our problem. 6 on 6 I say.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Gilbert has done nothin to suggest he is a forward
would gilbert be any worse than ferguson, for example?
plugger66 wrote:niether has kosi
he's not far behind your mate riewoldt on the goal-kicking despite missing tonight. at least he backs himself to take the shot.
plugger66 wrote:6 on 6 i say
you might be right about that. there are other ways to make space for your forwards than playing a loose man in defence.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 15 Jun 2008 2:31am, edited 1 time in total.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Gilbert has done nothin to suggest he is a forward
would gilbert be any worse than ferguson, for example?
plugger66 wrote:niether has kosi
he's not far behind your mate riewoldt on the goal-kicking. at least he backs himself to take the shot.
Lets look at the last 3 years for Rooy and as for Ferg what has that got to do with Gilbert or should we also compare them to Greg Packham.

hotdish
Club Player

Next Week

B: Dempster Hudghton Gwilt
HB Dal Gilbert X Clarke
C: Goddard Hayes Armitage
HF Montagna Roo Allen
F: Milne Kossi Schneider
Foll: King Ball S Fisher
Int: McQualter, McEvoy Jones C Gardiner

OUT: M Gardiner, Blake, Harvey, ?
IN McEvoy, Kossi, X, Armitage, Allen

promote Eddy?

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Lets look at the last 3 years for Rooy and as for Ferg what has that got to do with Gilbert or should we also compare them to Greg Packham.
let's leave greg out of this one. he was too small. but i forgot, you like pipsqueaks.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:Lets look at the last 3 years for Rooy and as for Ferg what has that got to do with Gilbert or should we also compare them to Greg Packham.
let's leave greg out of this one. he was too small. but i forgot, you like pipsqueaks.
No I like blokes who have the ability to kick goals not just guys because they can take a pack mark or because they are tall.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 8:15am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:No I like blokes who have the ability to kick goals not just guys because they can take a pack mark or because they are tall.
so how would you set it up then? let's see it and i'll give you an honest critique.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:No I like blokes who have the ability to kick goals not just guys because they can take a pack mark or because they are tall.
so how would you set it up then? let's see it and i'll give you an honest critique.
As I have said from the day before G came back.

Milne Rooy Schnider
Dal Kosi X

With Dal and X changing with Ball and maybe a medium tall but not a backman who may get a kick in the forward line like Gilbert or Raph.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:As I have said from the day before G came back.

Milne Rooy Schneider
Dal Kosi X

With Dal and X changing with Ball and maybe a medium tall but not a backman who may get a kick in the forward line like Gilbert or Raph.
i thought you didn't want kosi anywhere near it.

but seriously it isn't too bad. i've always favoured having dal santo as a half forward.

here is what i said on october 8 last year before gehrig rescinded his retirement.

C: Gram, Hayes, Gilbert
HF: Goddard, Riewoldt, Dal
F: Milne, Kosi, Schneider

it was an attempt to get some of our more creative and better players closer to goal.

the problem, as you know, is that we keep being spanked around the ground and can't get it in there.

and, of course, the ridiculous and taxing 18-man flood means that often we don't have a forward line to kick it to.

so until we can solve that problem it might be pointless talking forward set-ups

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

hotdish wrote: - not worried about ladder position, but about the process

Um, is this the same bloke who has been banging on ALL year about how we are (and i paraphrase) "...not playing great footy, but are still _ and _"

"_and_"= insert win loss ratio after every loss this year.

he has turned a group of confident, creative, exciting footballers into a bunch of second guessing, directionless drones- who go down without a whimper.

I'm suprised Ross is no longer worried about ladder position, because quite frankly it flatters us.

We are the worst team in the league- with no prospects.

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

Westaway said the coaching dept would be given everything they needed to make the club successful on field but didn't think that meant that he would buy a TANK if Ross asked for it. Well at least Westaway would have a Truck that can transport Ross' new TANK down to Moorabbin. But do the ADF have enough spare TANKS for us, Melbourne, Essendon, West Coast, Richmond and maybe Port or are they using them all in Iraq?

I think we can work out Ross' new game plan it was about time he tried a new one the old one wasn't working.

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Lets look at the last 3 years for Rooy.
let's look at this year.

he's a shadow of what he once was and perhaps constantly having to fly against two or three opponents has taken its toll.

he also has clear case of the kicking yips and lacks the confidence to take anything but even the most simple of shots.

but don't get me wrong about riewoldt, whom i still regard as our best player.

i was a proponent of moving him up the ground (wing) where i still think he'd be very good, but that was an attempt to get he, kosi and gehrig into the same team.

with gehrig now gone, riewoldt is clearly best suited as a key forward (ff or chf).
just for examples sake, if that means moving the skipper (or anyone else who might be considered "untoucheable") from the position they feel most comfortable, then so be it.
that, as i said, was just for examples sake and a message that no one at the club should be considered "untoucheable"