I'm Back!!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

philip
Club Player

I'm Back!!!!

Thanks to Battye for fixing whatever problem (I.T) I had and to all the forumites for your good wishes.

Just don't expect me to fall in to line and claim blindly that Ross Lyon will lead us to the promised land.

His football is uninspiring and not delivering results. Our list has gone backwards and the results show it. This can not be attributed to Grant Thomas and it is patently unfair for people to do so. Last year when the team won 11 out of 13 (from memory) we were not considered too old etc. But for whatever reason, backwards we have gone.

It is not panic stations yet, but if we don't undertake some corrective work immediately, then we will consign ourselves to massive debts and poor on field results for the next 10 years.

The positive is it can be fixed.

And whilst I am not RL fan, the players can not be allowed to get off scott free.

They are professionals and paid very well to do their job week in, week out. You can not choose when you want to play or what part of a coaches instructions you wish to follow. Yes, RL's gameplan is suspect, but the players have shown us what they can do and to play with anything less than 100% committment says more about their character than the coaches mediocre game plan.

Even in the dark days of our club, 100% effort has usually been given and our losses were simply because we were not good enough. This year, the majority of our losses have come from selfish football and confused game plan instructions.

This is my first post back for a bloodly long time.

Our club has bigger problems than just the coach and piss poor player effort and Archie Fraser has to go. More on him and why next week.

Great to be back, and despite my support of GT, it is the saints I support and the saints I will always cheer for.

philip

Just looking forward to us having a real crack each week, and appreciating the younger talent coming through.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

WB !!

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

Re: I'm Back!!!!

philip wrote:Our list has gone backwards and the results show it. This can not be attributed to Grant Thomas and it is patently unfair for people to do so.
:roll:

Our list went into decline in 2006.

We need to rebuild, due to poor recruiting from the previous football department, which can be blamed not only on Thomas and Rendell but also Butterss for allowing this amatuerish approach to what is the cornerstone and foundation of any football club, in the first place.

If anyone does not get that we are only a midtable combination at best ATM, then when it comes to football matters you're a fair dinkum numbnut.

We finished 8th in 2006
9th in 2007
currently where are we?

Seriously our list has gone backwards in it's development and this started over 5 years ago, due to poor decisions made on recruiting, drafting, development and policies on rookies, etc...etc...

but try telling this reality to the deluded, dumbed down, dingbats, despots and dong bongers, the fair dinkum, flock of flaggetating flogs, fools and fluffers, the know nothing, numbnuts, nongs and nuffies, the gaggle of geeks, gimps, gumps, goofballs and goat riders and the bumbling, buffoons, bong bandits and bone monkeys from the babble rabble on here, I mean seriously, fair dinkum, it's a futile exercize, like extracting blood from a stone or attempting to convince Paris Hilton to join the nunnery.

Welcome back philip, all in all you're just another brick in the wall!

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WB
philip wrote:
. Our list has gone backwards and the results show it. This can not be attributed to Grant Thomas and it is patently unfair for people to do so.
So does this mean that GT will somehow give us back all the picks he wasted on poor trades etc....?????

Interesting to note that we now have a group of rookies playing in the seniors...and coming through the system. Under GT not one made it for any length of time..???

Interesting to note too that most people are bemoaning the lack of pace and good footskills at present. How did GT's 5 years of overseeing the list go in adding value here?? Mark McGough anyone????

What actually is patently unfair is how GT squandered what should have been the best list in the competion.

If he had left when Waldron did..and Waldron had stayed instead we would be in a lot more robust shape. Melbourne Storm anyone???

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:WB
philip wrote:
. Our list has gone backwards and the results show it. This can not be attributed to Grant Thomas and it is patently unfair for people to do so.
So does this mean that GT will somehow give us back all the picks he wasted on poor trades etc....?????

Interesting to note that we now have a group of rookies playing in the seniors...and coming through the system. Under GT not one made it for any length of time..???

Interesting to note too that most people are bemoaning the lack of pace and good footskills at present. How did GT's 5 years of overseeing the list go in adding value here?? Mark McGough anyone????

What actually is patently unfair is how GT squandered what should have been the best list in the competion.

If he had left when Waldron did..and Waldron had stayed instead we would be in a lot more robust shape. Melbourne Storm anyone???
I thought you had some brains. Has Waldron helped with recruiting at Storm or did you want him to coach the Saints.

I hope this doesnt happen but if RL gets the flick you will be guy who will say how bad he was for the club. You love hinsight. Always looking at who we missed out on. At the moment I will take GT record over RL anyday.

Yes I know it is unfair because when GT took over we were rabble and when RL took over we had just won 14 games the previous year.

philip
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:

Brooks was a valid trade at the time. No one could predict how mentally fragile he would become after he did his knee and his inability to come back from a reco. And he was to fill a void which we all recognised, especially b4e, a good quality ruckman who would play for us for 10 years plus.

Watts was also a valid trade. He had come off kicking 7 goals in a final at SANFL from memory and you can argue about it all you like but it is the second best league in Australia. Furthermore, we gave up nothing more than Adelaide did in recruiting him (a first round draft pick).

Gwilt was a smokey who didn't cost a lot but looked likely to deliver significantly after his stellar performance on a wing in that final win over adelaide. he has gone backwards since then which is a shame.

Sweeney was another smokey (literally) who had talent to be a fwd flanker which we needed but he preferred to drink and smoke with his mates than dedicate himself to making it.

Ferguson was never given the chane and I hope he comes good this year.

McQualter was in and out of the first team, but who was he going to replace at the time - harvey, hayes, a fit ball etc.

X-man read Maguire

Raph - the only questionable first round draft pick i can realistically see.

Milne was due to be delisted by GT prior to his sacking given no one wanted him during trade week, everyone applauded RL for keeping him and yet here we are today, with him being dropped for the very reasons GT used to move him on. But its okay now, because its RL doing it and not GT.

So when we criticise GT for his overall performance (and there is much that we can be critical of including his desire to run the whole football club), can we be a little more measured rather than the boots and all approach.

philip

p.s. you very well know why waldron had to go and to suggest his area is measureable to the football area is bizarre, and quite frankly i would singuarly place the storm's success at bellamy's feet, but of course you are entitled to your opinion.

Just looking forward to us having a real crack each week, and appreciating the younger talent coming through.
loris
Saintsational Legend

philip wrote:
Gwilt was a smokey who didn't cost a lot but looked likely to deliver significantly after his stellar performance on a wing in that final win over adelaide. he has gone backwards since then which is a shame.

I've often wondered Philip how much Nathan Burke leaving as an assistant coach impacted on Gwilt's confidence.

I can remember reading an article about Gwilt after that fab final game he played. It went something along he lines of how Nathan Burke was specifically mentoring him. The article said that GT & NB were not surprised at Gwilt's game as they had been working on a plan/program to develop him and were confident he had the attitude to perform in the big game under pressure. Nathan had been doing one on one coaching with him all that season. Gwilt would have a special 2 hour session every week with Burke. It was not just football skills and Nathan had stated to have a more mentoring role in his life.

I know Gwilt had some injury probs the next season, but also Burkey left. I wonder if his dropping of form may have had something to do with the loss of his mentor at the time? Interesting that now Burkey is back at the club, Gwilt seems to be returning to more glimpes of the form/ confidence he promised those few years back.

Good to have you back on the site Philip. Great post by the way .

Loris

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

But more importantly Philip.....how's Cadyn Beetham's mum going?

:lol:

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
loris
Saintsational Legend

SENsaintsational wrote:But more importantly Philip.....how's Cadyn Beetham's mum going?

And while we are at it I will ask PLUGGER14 ......how's Shane Warne's brother going?? :wink:

philip
Club Player

SENsaintsational wrote:But more importantly Philip.....how's Cadyn Beetham's mum going?

that has to be one of the funniest days of my living memory...

from beetham's mum's friend to the laying of the wooden spoons at blue bagger park what a day, and it was against the dockers too.

ah, the memories as we grow old :lol:

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone want to tell the Brian Waldron story,why he had to leave,for those that don't know.....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Does anyone want to tell the Brian Waldron story,why he had to leave,for those that don't know.....
yeah what is it.

philip
Club Player

Cairnsman wrote:
bobmurray wrote:Does anyone want to tell the Brian Waldron story,why he had to leave,for those that don't know.....
yeah what is it.
I'm NOT going to talk about BW's specifics on a public forun, but I will talk in very broad generalaties.

If you are an office's supreme leader, you shouldn't:
a)have an affair with a subordinate;
b)give a payrise if it has not been earnt or in a contract, otherwise there may be a perception that it is being given due to favourable treatment;
c)understand affairs do break up marriages and affect your professional performance.

if everyone lives by these rules, life will be more boring but a lot less painful.

philip

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 4:33am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Nice to see you around these parts agin philip

Wander up to the MW sometime and say Hi

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
philip
Club Player

aussierules0k wrote:...sorry, philip who?

I once had a dentist called Philip Mc Cavity... is that you?
we've drunk together at the GW, oh, how easily one gets forgotten, consigned to a footnote of history :o

AOK, i'll never ask you to make me an avatar again, i promise :lol:

philip
Club Player

saint66au wrote:Nice to see you around these parts agin philip

Wander up to the MW sometime and say Hi
hey Michael

thanks for that, will try and do just that. how is sonof66 and wiz going?

philip

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

philip wrote:
. No one could predict how mentally fragile he would become .
except that he did not become mentally fragile...he was just always a player that did not want to do what it takes to be an AFL player.

PA knew and suckered us big time.....and we kept going back to the PA well for players with suspect work ethics.

Now once can be a mistake....BUT four times????

Brooks knee was not his real problem....it was his head.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 22 Jun 2008 2:26am, edited 1 time in total.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

philip wrote:
Watts was also a valid trade. He had come off kicking 7 goals in a final at SANFL from memory and you can argue about it all you like but it is the second best league in Australia.

Yes there is a real demand for big slow forwards in the AFL at present :shock:

We have enough trouble trying to get the more talented Kosi to play ok in such a role...let alone the lest talented Watts.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 4:32am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

philip wrote:

Ferguson was never given the chane and I hope he comes good this year

, can we be a little more measured rather than the boots and all approach.

Speaking of being more measured.....with Ferguson a continual run of injuries has had a lot to do with his lack of games.....rather than not being given a "chance".....including I would note now.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

philip wrote:

p.s. you very well know why waldron had to go .
Yes I do...and as I have posted in the past it is great misfortune that he could not behave himself.
philip wrote:
and to suggest his area is measureable to the football area is bizarre, .
So do you believe that Waldron's claims of engineering the GTrain and Hamill trades are idle claims?

JeffDunne

Don't the three of you ever get tired of posting the same thing over and over and over again?

Every thread, every topic, it always gets back to the same.

It's tired. It's old. And christ, it's f***ing boring.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote: Don't the three of you ever get tired of posting the same thing over and over and over again?.
I don't actually post in every GT thread...ie see this recent one.http://www.saintsational.com/forum/view ... hp?t=44098
JeffDunne wrote:
Every thread, every topic, it always gets back to the same.

It's tired. It's old. And christ, it's f***ing boring.
Perhaps...but if people want to post an OP on GT and give their view.

Then as this is a forum I reserve my right to give a different view.

I did note that you however did not post similar remarks in RF's bumping up an old GT thread for the Freo game...but of course as that was ok I guess from your perspective as it was pro-GT.

JeffDunne

I'll take that as a 'NO'.