Training 24/6/08

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sxc_Sainter
Club Player

Training 24/6/08

Just a brief summary of what i thought of today's training session.
The boys came out of the rooms at 2:15 and ran a lap around the oval and proceeded to do warm up stretches. It was a pretty light training session with all players in attendance with Matt Maguire the only notable absentee.
The rehab group consisted of Koschitzke, M Gardiner, Dempster, Schneider, Xavier Clarke, Geary, Leigh Fisher, Lenny Hayes and Brendan Goddard. They just mainly focused on handballing and kicking to each other.
The boys got split up into two groups. Group 1 consisted of King, McEvoy, Ferguson, Eddy, Fiora, Birss, Hudghton, Dal Santo, Raph, Hayes, Gilbert, Jones, Howard, Harvey Riewoldt, Milney and Miles. The second group was everyone else not mentioned. Baker, with his right calf bandaged, initially trained with the rest of the group but then went to the top of the oval and ran sprints with Chivers.
Group one did laps around the oval whilst group two ran sprints. In group one, Riewoldt was leading the whole time with Miles falling further behind with every lap.
Geary, Schneider and Dempster went back into the rooms after 10 minutes into the training session.
Fraser Gehrig was present and jogged around the oval with Eljay Connors, they were isolated from the rest of the group. Thought Fraser may be mentoring him.
The rehab group went back into the rooms about 20 minutes into training.
Lenny Hayes’ right thigh was heavily strapped and mainly ran laps around the oval.
Group two were particularly vocal. They had a kick to kick drill where all the players were communicating well, the senior players seemed particularly encouraging. They had another drill where the players would run into the big red bag and then handballed it off, and a corners drill where the players would mark the ball and keep running and kick it off to the leading player from the adjacent corner. I found this drill to be particularly vocal by all players.
Steven King went back into the rooms 30minutes into the training and Gehrig followed soon after.
Group two were then doing sprints and I seemed to notice that Dal Santo had his knee strapped, Ferguson had heavy strapping on both ankles and Gilbert has his right calf strapped.
Baker then ran laps around the oval and I think that he may have been timing himself as he kept looking at his watch, either that or he was in a real hurry to leave training!
Group two then practised their long kicks and then got into two groups, one group wearing fluoro jackets, and I think they were having a centre clearance competition to see which group could mark the ball outside the centre square first. They seemed to really get into this drill as they seemed fairly competitive.
Group one was doing handball drills which I believe was also a competition amongst the group. There were each with a partner and I think they had to handball a certain amount set and the group who finished first didn’t have to do any sit ups or push ups. I think Gwilt and King won a round, as did the excited Gilbert and Sam Fisher.
The training session lasted about an hour and a few of the players stayed back to work on their goal kicking skills, pretty relaxed training session overall.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

thanks for the update, I'm usually more interested in the spirit of the players so it was great to hear that they were very vocal.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
NDS_2626

Fantastic training report, I can see a future in sports journalism for you!

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

I hope they are still kicking for goal :D

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

thanks sxc_sainter- nice to see you back on

good report- Loved hearing that fraser was out there.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

iwantmeseats wrote:I hope they are still kicking for goal :D

Ditto.

Sam23
SS Life Member

How come Goddard is in the rehab group?

Goddard.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't have called the rehab group.

More like the guys having a light day for whatever reason.

Dempster, Geary and leigh Fisher were also in that group.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell