Is Max the key to Friday night??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Is Max the key to Friday night??

Whilst there has been lots of speculation as to who's gonna pick up Judd, Stevens et al, I reckon Max is the real ace up our sleeve

The majority of Carltons wins this year (if not all of them) have been on the back of Fev heroics. Yes Murphy, Stevens, Judd etc etc have been great, but the bottom line is that its allowed Carlton to get it to Fev more effectively.

Enter Max. Hes absolutely dominated Fev for as long as anyone can remember and if any opponent would sow seeds of doubt in him, its Max

If he can get a few spoils in early, get Dopey nice and frustrated and sooking to the umpires, we are halfway home I reckon.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

To a point I think you are right, but if Fev kicks 7, I think we can still win by shutting down their other options.

The key is when Fev kicks his goals...if he is shut down largely in the first half and kicks most of his goals later in the game, he'll be a bit worried and the pressure will be on the other fwds.

Keep Fev to 3 goals or less by half time and we should be in business IMO.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Max the key to Friday night??

saint66au wrote:Whilst there has been lots of speculation as to who's gonna pick up Judd, Stevens et al, I reckon Max is the real ace up our sleeve

The majority of Carltons wins this year (if not all of them) have been on the back of Fev heroics. Yes Murphy, Stevens, Judd etc etc have been great, but the bottom line is that its allowed Carlton to get it to Fev more effectively.

Enter Max. Hes absolutely dominated Fev for as long as anyone can remember and if any opponent would sow seeds of doubt in him, its Max

If he can get a few spoils in early, get Dopey nice and frustrated and sooking to the umpires, we are halfway home I reckon.
Definately a major factor in the game. Getting our forward line functioning properly will also be a major factor !!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

A midfield of Harvey, Lenny, Ball, Dal, Joey, Bakes and Roo is the key to Friday night.

And the rest of the season.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:A midfield of Harvey, Lenny, Ball, Dal, Joey, Bakes and Roo is the key to Friday night.

rodger !!

You forgot to add Sam Fisher & Goddard to that list. They have been rotating through there during the past couple of games, and we won those games !!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:A midfield of Harvey, Lenny, Ball, Dal, Joey, Bakes and Roo is the key to Friday night.

rodger !!

You forgot to add Sam Fisher & Goddard to that list. They have been rotating through there during the past couple of games, and we won those games !!
Of course. I'd add Gram in too.

Suddenly looks to be a pretty deep and talented midfield.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Max will get Fev Gilbert will most likely get Fisher As for Betts Eddy will get him

JeffDunne

The key to the game will be our captain and how we use him.

yipper
SS Life Member

The weather should also be interesting. Going to be wet in Melbourne all week, by Friday we will have a pretty heavy track to play on at the G'.

May or may not actually rain during the game - who will this suit??

Riewoldt is a proven wet weather player - as are Hayes, Ball. Armo has played good wet weather footy previously. It will be whoever puts their head over the footy and works the hardest will win. Maybe we have the bigger bodies and more experience going in with these conditions. Just need the 4 points - doesn't matter how we get them.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

yipper wrote:The weather should also be interesting. Going to be wet in Melbourne all week, by Friday we will have a pretty heavy track to play on at the G'.

Riewoldt is a proven wet weather player - as are Hayes, Ball. Armo has played good wet weather footy previously. It will be whoever puts their head over the footy and works the hardest will win. Maybe we have the bigger bodies and more experience going in with these conditions. Just need the 4 points - doesn't matter how we get them.
The MCG doesnt get heavy. It will be in good nick but could be wet but will not be heavy.

spert
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Carlton have a lot of good stoppers, so maybe its a case of how are they going to cover our better players.

yipper
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:
yipper wrote:The weather should also be interesting. Going to be wet in Melbourne all week, by Friday we will have a pretty heavy track to play on at the G'.

The MCG doesnt get heavy. It will be in good nick but could be wet but will not be heavy.
You're right Plugger, I still have images of the old suburban grounds in my head!! Wet conditions will mean the ball will be on the deck a lot - so the bigger, tougher bodies combined with some experience will be decisive. We also have Riewoldt - they don't.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
bergsone
SS Life Member

Fisher is one who seems to get under the radar for them,maybe Blake on him,max on fev ,dempster on Betts ?

saintsrus
SS Hall of Fame

Didnt Fev kick heaps last time we played them on the G, Max didnt play but I think Fev will be a huge danger for us. We have to stop the supply so as others said the mid field is where it will be won or lost.

Before Im 85
Ice Wolf
Club Player

saintsrus wrote:Didnt Fev kick heaps last time we played them on the G, Max didnt play but I think Fev will be a huge danger for us. We have to stop the supply so as others said the mid field is where it will be won or lost.
Fev pretty much made up their entire score that game and even had to get the ball himself, I'd say it was the game of his life and they still got slaughtered.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

Easiest to stop Fev is to stop the ball getting down there in the first place. We can't expect Max to do the job if he doesn't get the support. It's up the midfield to restrict the quantity and quality of supply.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

It will suit us. We have plenty of Gippslanders in our side and they would be used to playing in crappy weather :wink: !!

Red
Club Player

The carlton midfield isn't that bad either. I'm not sure but I think they have a

couple of A graders there as well. I agree with saint66au. I believe it will

be the forward line that functions the best that will win the game.

I'm not sure they can cover Kosi and Roo and I don't believe that Max is

going to beat Fev unless he receives help from Dempster and the like.

yipper
SS Life Member

Eastern wrote:

It will suit us. We have plenty of Gippslanders in our side and they would be used to playing in crappy weather :wink: !!
Aah yes, Gippsland weather - shocking one day, woeful the next!! You're right, we should smash em"!!

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:The key to the game will be our captain and how we use him.
I think theres a lot of truth there actually....I think its Fisher? thats previously done quite well against Riewoldt....but that was when we left him as a sitting target up in the fwd line....MUST cut him loose, allow him to run and float fwd/back. He reads the play so well I do think its the Richo effect, keeps him in the play, allows him to drift fwd and kick a goal(harder to stop a continuously moving target), takes the heat off the "set shots" as much as he is able to get his confidence up by staying in the game.

“Yeah….nah””
JeffDunne

You're confusing Fisher with Waite Teffers.

Roo I'm sure will be keen to get one back on Waite and he's done well on him the past two games.

However, I don't think the key to Roo playing him is to drag him up the ground. That suits Waite. I'd be pushing him to the square and let Roo body him out of the contest. Give Waite a run at the ball and he'll jump all over Roo.

I'd be playing Kosi up the ground for large periods and I'd make sure we've got someone up forward that can lay a tackle. Put pressure on the Carlton backline and they'll cough it up.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

bergsone wrote:Fisher is one who seems to get under the radar for them,maybe Blake on him,max on fev ,dempster on Betts ?
Spot on.

esaint66
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:
bergsone wrote:Fisher is one who seems to get under the radar for them,maybe Blake on him,max on fev ,dempster on Betts ?
Spot on.

Agreed.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:You're confusing Fisher with Waite Teffers.

Roo I'm sure will be keen to get one back on Waite and he's done well on him the past two games.

However, I don't think the key to Roo playing him is to drag him up the ground. That suits Waite. I'd be pushing him to the square and let Roo body him out of the contest. Give Waite a run at the ball and he'll jump all over Roo.

I'd be playing Kosi up the ground for large periods and I'd make sure we've got someone up forward that can lay a tackle. Put pressure on the Carlton backline and they'll cough it up.
Agree re the pressure on their defence - looking at their points agst they do leak.

Yeah it mustve been Wait but I do recall he did seem to have the body size and the extra reach to trouble Riewoldt.....I actually reckon Riewoldt gets out bodied and pushed under the footy a bit and hes better on the lead. Kosi for me is the one close to goal with some decent pressure nearby - hes also the better contested grab and Im not sure Carlton have anyone with the size to stop him...their defenders to me appear to be that 'rangy' type that like a run at it....Kosi really could be problems for them but it depends how it comes in.

At least we have the flexibility with Riewoldt (which we did ok against Nth I thought - played fwd at times....other times drifted back). Id just hate to see him stuck down there at FF and watch us become Roo conscious and they double team him (which frommemory theyve done well previously) and pick him off. To me it makes us far less predictable if we can mix it up a little.

“Yeah….nah””
Shaggy
Club Player

Actually IMO Kosi should be the difference ... so long as MG doesn't play.

Carlton cannot match up on Kosi and he is getting his confidence back now that he is not being limited as a KPP forward.

So in this thread we have defence, mids, forwards and bigs being the difference against Carlton. I think we have it covered.

No one has mentioned the coaches box :D .