King's ruckwork - 2nd Q

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

yipper
SS Life Member

King's ruckwork - 2nd Q

What an exceptional display of tap ruckwork particularly in that 2nd Q against the spews. He was good most of the night - but just set us up in the Q . King to Hayes nearly everytime from the centre. One passage sticks out took about 5secs all up:

King down Lenny's throat whilst he was running full tilt towards our 50 - puts it lace out to Rooey = goal. Just exceptional.

Really starting to have an influence for us now.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Yep.

I said in another post, that King to Hayes in the middle two quarters brought back memories of 1997.

Everitt to Burke / Thompson / Harvey.

King's tapwork went straight into Hayes hands, and his roving and clearence work was top rate as always.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Other thing i liked besides tap work is follow up work ,throwing that big body around certainly helps our mids.Body language is good seems to be enjoying his saint days.Few more grabs wouldnt hurt,felt the opposition wasnt great sat but he did the job.In my votes fwiw

midas_touch
Club Player

It was good to see a domination in the ruck by King and to a lesser extent, Kosi. The ruck is definitely not a weakness for us nowadays.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Did not see the game, but your comments a really good to hear, hopfully Gardiner can get an injury free run to

emmdee
Club Player

I thought King & Max were the standouts in our win against blues, what a difference an experienced & mature bodied/fit KPP makes...

Rather a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

midas_touch wrote:It was good to see a domination in the ruck by King and to a lesser extent, Kosi. The ruck is definitely not a weakness for us nowadays.
Yep King was great and Kosi played a good game there also but its worth remembering theu didnt beat much...Kreuzer is a kid and Cloke rhymes with joke.

Still we NOW have some ruck options and about rucking time!!

“Yeah….nah””
your momma
Club Player

wat a gold nugget we picked up from the recycled players, same goes to Gardiner.

if the King -to- Hayes routine is performed more often, maybe with additional midfielder skill inbetween.....WE WILL DOMINATE

btw Lenny Hayes is Batman

"Im never satisfied...its a curse"
HarveysDeciple

thought it was pivotal in the roos win too.

took control after half time.

Really having an impact now injury free.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

With Kingy starting to dominate in the ruck & Kosi's form on the rise with his occasional runs in the ruck, is there enough room in the one side for King, Kosi & Gardiner? !!

yipper
SS Life Member

Yes, all of a sudden selection is getting more difficult for us - in a good way. Do we bring him back or not. Depends how our coaches see the Hawks ruck strength. Is it to our advantage having big Gardi in or do we leave it as is for now?? Hmmm. Dunno.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

If Taylor and Campbell both play, it will be a very big test for King and Kosi.

King can go with either in the actual ruck, and hopefully around the ground. Whereas Kosi can really expose both around the ground, but will get munched in the ruck.

Big test for them.

Also a big test for our midfield to win when not getting spoon fed by our ruckmen.

yipper
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:If Taylor and Campbell both play, it will be a very big test for King and Kosi.

King can go with either in the actual ruck, and hopefully around the ground. Whereas Kosi can really expose both around the ground, but will get munched in the ruck.

Big test for them.

Also a big test for our midfield to win when not getting spoon fed by our ruckmen.
Perhaps they'll take some extra insurance in with M.Gardiner. Out Allen. Or maybe they'll back King and Kosi and hope our midfield has a big night. The latter me thinks.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Gardi has shown his wares this year. I rate him higher than King, and love his aggression. If fit... must play. Drop Allen if you have to.

Kosi can still ruck rove if required.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Shaggy
Club Player

Both King and MG have done well this year.

Tough call for the selectors whether they go with both or just one.

Personally I would prefer Kosi with one of the above. We are not going to get the easy hit-outs to advantage against most sides and when Kosi gets going around the ground it seems to lift the team. I wouldn't sacrifice Kosi for "team structure" (particularly when he kicks more goals as a ruck than as a FF anyway).

Maybe its co-incidence but having one less ruck taking up the inter change bench may also have helped the side with its run in the past 2 matches as we have been finishing much stronger than previously.

Allen should go back to Casey regardless to regain some confidence this week.

My pref would be to experiment with BJ tag teaming with Kosi at FF.

st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

king is looking good his ruck work and mobility is great and by the way hes traveling he could play another 2years after this one ... much much better then the hack clarke from last year

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
starsign
Club Player

good thinking Shaggy!
Possably worth a go as the balance seems to work with only King + Kozi benifiting the mids

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:
good thinking Shaggy!
Possably worth a go as the balance seems to work with only King + Kozi benifiting the mids
But BJ has been very, very good in the midfield lately.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:
starsign wrote:
good thinking Shaggy!
Yes and down back. Also I have seen nothing from him that would make him a good FF apart from kicking the ball. Not a pack marker and with his pace would struggle on the lead. Why do we always want to play people away from their best positions.

rexy
SS Life Member

Cant see BJ being moved far from the HBF/wing or the occasional run on the ball. His delivery is to crucial. Perhaps we could drop Allan, bring in Geary to play on Rioli and play Gilbert in Allans role?

Maybe this year?
Raven
Club Player

your momma wrote: btw Lenny Hayes is Batman
This cracked me up for some reason. :lol: :lol:

Shaggy
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
n1ck wrote:
starsign wrote:
good thinking Shaggy!
Yes and down back. Also I have seen nothing from him that would make him a good FF apart from kicking the ball. Not a pack marker and with his pace would struggle on the lead. Why do we always want to play people away from their best positions.
IMO BJ is quite quick off the mark (and certainly far quicker than 90% of names put forward on SS as FF options). He is not a big pack marker but takes a solid grab and is versatile in general play which IMO are more important attributes for FF in today’s game. If BJ gets a shot within 50 he should be a chance.

Of course BJ will find it much easier to play flank or float back but BJ is ready for more challenging roles.

Having just missed a season and only recently turned 23 years old I doubt BJ's "best position" is yet determined but is going to be as a mid or KPP and his days as a floater down back are numbered.

Kosi is an ok FF but not full time week in week out as his confidence goes. We need a FF filler who actually does something when Kosi goes up ground. If you don't think BJ can do it than whom do you recommend is a more likely type? (bearing in mind your criteria - speed, strong pack mark and not being played out of best position … which virtually eliminates everyone on our list :D).

Off topic the last discussion we had was on past players as future club Presidents. At the time you wisely advised me that it was a thing of the past. I would like to point out that since our dialogue two new club presidents have been appointed … Kernahan and Stynes :D.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Shaggy wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
n1ck wrote:
starsign wrote:
good thinking Shaggy!
IMO BJ is quite quick off the mark (and certainly far quicker than 90% of names put forward on SS as FF options). He is not a big pack marker but takes a solid grab and is versatile in general play which IMO are more important attributes for FF in today’s game. If BJ gets a shot within 50 he should be a chance.

Of course BJ will find it much easier to play flank or float back but BJ is ready for more challenging roles.

Having just missed a season and only recently turned 23 years old I doubt BJ's "best position" is yet determined but is going to be as a mid or KPP and his days as a floater down back are numbered.

Kosi is an ok FF but not full time week in week out as his confidence goes. We need a FF filler who actually does something when Kosi goes up ground. If you don't think BJ can do it than whom do you recommend is a more likely type? (bearing in mind your criteria - speed, strong pack mark and not being played out of best position … which virtually eliminates everyone on our list :D).

Off topic the last discussion we had was on past players as future club Presidents. At the time you wisely advised me that it was a thing of the past. I would like to point out that since our dialogue two new club presidents have been appointed … Kernahan and Stynes :D.
Firstly I would have Rooy at FF but we need a lead up player maybe BJ could be better in that role. Yes I still think past players as presidents are a thing of the past but obviously Melbourne dont. Kernahan is only doing it for the rest of the year as Burkie would probably do if Westaway left in a hurry.

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:
midas_touch wrote:It was good to see a domination in the ruck by King and to a lesser extent, Kosi. The ruck is definitely not a weakness for us nowadays.
Yep King was great and Kosi played a good game there also but its worth remembering theu didnt beat much...Kreuzer is a kid and Cloke rhymes with joke.

Still we NOW have some ruck options and about rucking time!!
what a pity there was not ackland! :lol:

Go saints in '09!
i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Hayes would def be loving what has been served up. Looked fantastic! Kingy has def shone through in the close matches.

Go saints in '09!