With Kosi an IN next week....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

With Kosi an IN next week....

With Kosi most likely an IN next week....quite a few of our 22 this week are on notice that they need to perform to the coaches expectations this week to hold their spot.

Port Adelaide our No 1 Bogey team and so their is no way the sainst want to take this match likely.

While RL obviously has put all players on notice that any players spot is not safe if they do not deliver team expectations, most players spots would be safe. However the following group will be keen to perform well:

Gardi back after being injured with a couple of games at Casey to find touch and fitness. Gardi was just starting to really shine when injury struck him down. while his footskills were still lacking the rest of his game was looking very good.

A ruck duo of King and Gardiner would really keep the pressure on our opponents. However Ross may decide instead to keep one of King and gardi and go with Kosi and Blake to share the No 2 spot so that the team can play an extra mid.

Fiora after a disappointing year was given a lifeline last week and performed ok. What Fiora can deliver is pace and run plus long kicking...three components that Ross is keen to have. However Fiora's workrate has been lacking this year and so tonight Fior needs to demonstrate a high workrate. Agaianst the Hawks Fiora hada very high TOG...so Lyon is obviously giving him the chance to shine.

Eddy a rookie has been elevated and since coming in has been impressive with his game. Certianly not starring but has been delivering the run that the team was short on. There is alot to like about his kid with about his only black mark so far being his awkward kicking. while not blessed with pace, he can ourun virtually anyone and this stamina allows him to find space.

McQualter seemingly "gawnnnn"[/i was given a lifeline by being taken as a rookie after having been delisted. this seems to have been a real wake up call and Mini has refoccused and has had a very good year at Casey which has led to a recall. Importantly when recalled and asked to playa tag he has yaken to it, whereas in the past he resisted. Mini's smothering of a rampant Mitchell in the Hawks game in the second half is bound to put into the bank some brownie points with Ross.

Mini's resurgence has also been most timely with Baker being out injured at present. Birrs however must feela bit stiff with seemingly having payed well asa tagger Mini has snuck past him. This however is a good situation for the Saints to be in.

Armo There is no doubt that Armo will be a signifiant member of St Kilda teams for many years. Unlike many of our mids he has the knack of kicking goals. However Armo's time on ground has been consistently low. Is this due to lack of fitness, that Lyon prefers to use him as an impact player....or is it just due to the Saints having too many inside mids.....or a bit of each?? If Kosi squeezes out a mid next week will team structure see Lyon plaumping to keep an outside runner over an inside mid?

I think the above pressure will help to motivate the saints to win today..and that is a healthy think.

Over coming weeks, Geary, Birss, X and Baker should all help to keep the players in our 22 honest by putting pressure on to win their places.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Fair call. I still don't think that Geary hasn't done enough at senior level to warrant a return at the business part of the season.

Armo is still young and you have to be careful to not burn him out. See what happened to us in '04. Could be a key come Sept.

Even with Kosi back, you can still keep Gardi in the team. A solid ruck combo is critical to a flag tilt.

I don't suscribe to resting King. Wiining form is good form.

Will be interesting to see who gives way. Unless Bakes starts getting some game time soon, a lack of fitness may see him miss out. Witness when we brought back Hamill, Raph and Kosi.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

It is only natural that young players become really tired & sore at this time of year. The club will need to closely monitor Eddy, Armo & possibly Mini during the next few weeks. This is the period when Dave Misson (fitness guru) really earns his wages and enhances his reputation.

Between the Ross & Dave they have a pretty good dilema ATM. We have Kosi, Bakes, Birss, X, Geary waiting in the wings or ready to come back into the side, and don't forget that Ross mentioned that he would be giving Jack Steven a game at some point this year.

It's been a VERY LONG TIME since there has been this much pressure on for ALL/MOST places in the side.. A VERY HEALTHY position to be in at this time of year !!

goodie
Club Player

Based on the first half of today

In: Koschitzke
Out: Gardiner

Eddy and McQualter have both been excellent, Fiora and Armitage need to lift

battye
Saintsational Legend

goodie wrote:Based on the first half of today

I think so too. Gardiner hasn't looked damaging at all.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well post game Gardiner played one of his worse games ever.

Armo was good in flashes...but was missing most of time. I wonder what his TOG was? Did not win enough ball.

Fiora was not shocking...but was not good either.

Mini and Eddy were the best of the bunch and the onlt twoo who I would imagine would be certain for selection next week.

Mini was hard at it..but did not win anough ball. Worthwhile game though.

Eddy continues to ipress...though again his kicking let him down at times.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Well not wanting to put the knee-jerk, foot up the proverbial, here are my changes for next week.

Change #1.
Out: Fiora
In: Birss

Change #2.

Change #3.
Out: Armitage
In: Geary

We need players who can kick goals. Our forward line was woeful at best, we just don't have the potency up there.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

agree otiman...correct changes.

we need to give armo a rocket up the arse as well as the 2 obvious changes

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
saintrod
Club Player

Apart form definitely dropping Gardiner after his pathetic performance and bringing in Kosi we also need to factor a replacement for Max given I understand he he has a calf strain which normally take several weeks.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Re: With Kosi an IN next week....

saintsRrising wrote:.....

Port Adelaide our No 1 Bogey team and so their is no way the sainst want to take this match likely.....
Re Port Adelaide, just a team of home town heroes who have a great record against us by virtue of the fact that they have hardly ever played us in Victoria this century. Like Fremantle they benefiit through their unpopularity and get to play certain teams (Saints, Hawks, Doggies, North) at neutral venues. Won them a flag in 2004. I'm not bitter !!!!

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
Griggsy
SS Life Member

i guess everyone is assuming maxxy will be back. god i hope so

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Ok Gardiner was shocking, but not sure I would drop him.

Out - Gilbert, Fiora, McQualter

In - Koz, Geary, Birss

Qld Saints Supporter Group
goodie
Club Player

In: Koschitzke, Birss, Geary, Allen

Out: Gardiner, Fiora, Armitage, Schneider

The inclusions are pretty self-explanatory, Allen played a bit of defence when he was younger, if Max doesn't pull up then he can go back at times.

Gardiner was woeful, a liability. Send him back to Casey and let him beat up some youngster to get some confidence and match fitness.

Fiora was misused at times (sending him back was a bad idea), but made too many silly mistakes.

Armitage just hasn't impressed me the last few weeks. Could be his time on ground, but his ball use hasn't been that hot, and he's been tackling less. Besides, I'd like to see Birss and Geary be given a shot, and Armitage and Fiora are the obvious ones to make way.

And Schneider may be a surprise to some, but a look at the frees against count today will enlighten you. Way too many stupid frees, do a Milne to him, back down for a week, could be the boot in the arse he needs.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

I will go out on a limb here and say Allen is as good in defence as gardiner is up forward. We continue to try and play guys in position that they cannot play. If Allen plays he plays forward or doesnt play. Jimmy will come in for Max as there is no other options.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Has anyone seen Michael Rix play in defence recently? May be worth a punt, at least he will try. And maybe Ferguson at Full Forward. He came back for 2 games, did well in his first, injured his groin in his second and played injured, has been over-looked since.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Who is this man they call Rix?

Talk about playing someone out of position. His best position is in the Scorps.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:Has anyone seen Michael Rix play in defence recently? May be worth a punt, at least he will try. And maybe Ferguson at Full Forward. He came back for 2 games, did well in his first, injured his groin in his second and played injured, has been over-looked since.
Was involved heavily in backline where Nathan Thompson and Podsiawhatever kicked 10 last week in the VFL.

Candidates for FF: Koschitzke, Ferguson, Allen, Gwilt.

I know we've been training Gwilt as a key back for 2 years, but we desperately need a key forward, surely he's worth a try.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:It is only natural that young players become really tired & sore at this time of year. The club will need to closely monitor Eddy, Armo & possibly Mini during the next few weeks. This is the period when Dave Misson (fitness guru) really earns his wages and enhances his reputation.
was just thinking today the teams that won this weekend- or most of them are teams with lots of young and upcoming players, fresh into teams that have lost seniors to retirement, old age or off for surgeries.
fresh, young and wanting to relish their chances- everything to prove and nothing to lose,

a bit like everyone says about players being ready at the start of the year maybe these days there is now a time in the season where it all become wearisome and that wanting to prove your self is needed as an injection into any team.
like we now see the ' fresh legs' stat mid game- maybe a mid year ' fresh legs'
Last edited by saintbrat on Sun 27 Jul 2008 11:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
degruch
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:
goodie wrote:Based on the first half of today

I think so too. Gardiner hasn't looked damaging at all.
He'll look a lot less damaging out of the team...leave him in, we need depth in our ruck.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Gee, so now we can argue if we need 2 rucks or 1. Maybe life isn't so bad.

If we argue that young players need to be given a few games for cinfidence, then the same must be afforded all palyers. That was MG's only bad game this year. He'll be fine.

Armo needs to go back to Scorps. Birrs deserves a crack. Schneids needs more time.

i_luv_nick_riewoldt
SS Life Member

Otiman wrote:Well not wanting to put the knee-jerk, foot up the proverbial, here are my changes for next week.

Change #1.
Out: Fiora
In: Birss

Change #2.

Change #3.
Out: Armitage
In: Geary

We need players who can kick goals. Our forward line was woeful at best, we just don't have the potency up there.
yep id much rather see that!! Hopefully Lyon takes action this week!

Go saints in '09!
saintbob
SS Life Member

Kosi's a definite as is Fiora to go out, indefinetely .

Houghton out injured, Armo to go back and get some form .

Seriously have to have a look at bringing in another marking option up forward as well, either Charlie or Allen. Three talls would stretch Ports under sized defence too.

Birss must be due his chance, if thats why Fiora originally came back.

Possible line up

FB DEMPSTER FISHER GRAM
HB GODDARD BLAKE GILBERT
C JONES HAYES DAL SANTO
HF EDDY RIEWOLDT HARVEY
FF MILNE KOSI ALLEN/ C GARDINER

RUCKS
KING, BALL, McQUALTER

INT
SCHNIEDER, BIRSS, M GARDINER, GEARY

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Gardiner and King up against Dean Cox - there was only ever going to be one winner. Neither King nor Gardiner have the capacity to go with a player like Cox these days.

I'd rather Rix back in the side than see Gardiner in our colours ever again, and that is saying something.