Milne, the little man who stood tall

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

RedWhiteBlack
Club Player

Milne, the little man who stood tall

A particuarly good article in today's Age written by Robert Walls:
A LITTLE bloke who has won over plenty of football fans in recent weeks has to be St Kilda's Stephen Milne. He has been in the AFL for some nine seasons but has struggled for acceptance on and off the field.

Playing as a permanent small forward is a tough assignment. Opportunities are limited and too often the player and supporters measure the worth of the performance solely on goals scored. As such, these little men often get greedy. They fail to share. They will often resort to low-percentage options in order to snag another goal.

They live life on the edge. For every matchwinning performance they deliver, there are lots more lows. Milne has been no exception. While he has been a regular player for the past eight seasons, only once has he finished top 10 in his club's best-and-fairest voting and that was a seventh in 2005. So the fear of being sacked or traded has never been far away.

Milne's AFL career was saved when the Saints had a change of coach. Had Grant Thomas stayed as coach at the end of the 2006 season, Milne wouldn't have. New coach Ross Lyon was prepared to see if he could make Milne a more team-oriented player. It has been a battle, and patience for the task dried up when the goalsneak was dropped, along with Nick Dal Santo, after the round-12 loss to Sydney.

I suggest the message to both was to be more concerned for the team than themselves. To work harder when they didn't have the ball, to be more accountable on direct opponents, and to tackle, pressure and harass. For Milne, it would also have included more sharing when around the goals. So on Sunday, it was good to see several unselfish assists set up goals for teammates. Milne's two goals took his season's tally to 47, which is second only to skipper Nick Riewoldt's 52.

But the big win for Milne was the fact that he actually played. We all know that a week ago he was sitting in a car being driven from Perth to Adelaide. He then caught a train to Melbourne. He couldn't fly because of a compressed and cracked cheekbone. Once back in Melbourne, he was operated on and a plate was inserted in his face. But what we didn't know was that the same thing had happened to the other side of his face three weeks earlier. That time, the Saints kept it quiet because his face hadn't swollen for all the world to see, as happened in Perth 10 days ago.

Some people will suggest that it was foolhardy to play Milne after all he had gone through. The Saints aren't silly, and I believe the surgeon who performed the operations was in the rooms on Sunday. To me, and to plenty others, especially his teammates, what we witnessed on Sunday was an unselfish, inspirational act. With the injuries, pain and totally unsatisfactory preparation for a big match, it would have been completely understandable to pull the pin and concentrate on rest and recovery. Milne chose not to do that. He played and he played well.

There are defining moments in careers. This is the one for Milne. He knows now he can overcome adversity to deliver against the odds. What he did will be remembered, respected, admired and spoken of around the club for years to come. He has set a standard for others to follow. Well done Milney, your courage and selflessness to your club and teammates will be one of my memories of 2008.

http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/m ... 70557.html

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Milne, the little man who stood tall

It's amazing what a difference it makes when the press like your coach, doesn't it?

Had we had an unpopular coach in charge, he'd be being dragged across the coals for playing someone and putting them at such huge risk.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:It's amazing what a difference it makes when the press like your coach, doesn't it?

Had we had an unpopular coach in charge, he'd be being dragged across the coals for playing someone and putting them at such huge risk.
yes, i remember the days of GT and the press.. The press hated him for years! However, he didn't help much. I remember one response from GT regarding the public where he stated, "i couldn't give a continental what the public/supporters think!"

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Im so glad to see a positive article written about the little fella.

Im sick of reading and hearing all the negative press about him.

Fantastic player - always has been - and he's getting better with age.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

bugger it....

Fantastic article Robert

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:bugger it....

Fantastic article Robert and your ghost writer, whoever that is
That's better. Can't give him too much credit :roll: :wink: !!

Persuader
Club Player

Great article and great acknowledgment for Milne. He's always been a gutsy player who wouldn't get a free kick if they pulled his head off his neck.

Founding member of the Jason Blake Appreciation Society
st_Trav_ofWA
Saintsational Legend

that must on nearly killed Wallsy to wright somthing glowing for the saints !!!

"The team that wins in the most positions and makes the least amount of mistakes, usually wins the game." -- Allan Jeans

http://westernsaints.wordpress.com/
Kosi#23

Milne is working harder than I have ever seen him. The amount of second efforts and chase downs he had on the weekend was fantastic!

He is one of the players that makes you a little bit excited when he gets the ball cause you know he is either going to do something fantastic or he will do something stupid hahaha.

Keep it up Milney, your great to watch!

Sainter for Life!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

two articles on one day and neither negative - does that mean he's made it :D
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 32,00.html
Little mate Adam Scheider saves Stephen Milne's career
Courtney Walsh | August 26, 2008
A BLOSSOMING partnership with former Swan Adam Schneider has shored up Stephen Milne's prospects at St Kilda while propelling the Saints' September surge.

In a year where a wealth of small forwards is firing, there has been no hotter duo than Milne and Schneider over the past three weeks.

Schneider, a 2005 premiership player during Ross Lyon's time as an assistant at Sydney, is beginning to repay the faith shown by St Kilda at the trading table last October.

The pair have combined for 16 goals over the past three weeks - Milne seven and Schneider nine - a far more consistent output than earlier in the season when both were struggling.

It also compares more than favourably with the small forward combinations of other finals rivals over the past month.

Lyon said the realisation the pair were starting to combine effectively was one reason why it was critical that Milne, who underwent surgery last Thursday on the cheekbone fractured against Fremantle in round 20, played against Adelaide Crows on Sunday.

"We just feel as a combination that Schneider and Milne are quite effective," Lyon said.

"Where do you find a Stephen Milne? It was a relief not to make that change."

Milne, who is out of contract at season's end, appeared in danger of exiting St Kilda when dropped to the VFL along with midfielder Nick Dal Santo in round 13.

But he has kicked 20 goals in eight matches since and against Adelaide showed little of the selfishness that has at times been a characteristic.

Dal Santo, who has returned to close to his best since returning to the seniors, yesterday said Milne had proven his desperation for the club in recent weeks.

"You learn not to take things for granted and I think the way that myself and even Stephen Milne have come back since being dropped has been positive for the club, and we've won a few more games, so that's always nice," Dal Santo said.

"It's not great to look at his face, but it was great to have him out there (against Adelaide).

"I thought he played really well again and obviously he's had a pretty tough week, but the way he's handled himself, even last week coming off with the cheekbone and finishing off the game and the travel this week and then playing the game, was fantastic.

"He contributes really well and gives us another avenue to goal, which we really need."

Dal Santo said St Kilda, which struggled early against Adelaide but was dominant after quarter-time, could be a factor in the finals provided it improved its consistency.

Despite winning seven of their past nine matches, the Saints have thrown in at least one average quarter each game over the past six weeks.

"We probably haven't put a full game together which we've been really happy with but there's definitely three quarters or half a game which is how we'd like to play our football," he said.

"I think we've been putting some good scores on the board and also stopping the opposition so if we can do that for four quarters we'll give ourselves every chance to be successful."

While the Saints are likely to cruise into the finals with a minimum of fuss against Essendon on Sunday given the Bombers' injury woes, the Crows are keen for another crack at them in September.

Barring upsets, the two sides are likely to square off in an elimination final in a fortnight - this weekend's results will determine which state hosts the match, with veteran Tyson Edwards believing the Crows will improve markedly.

"I think playing a team you've lost to pretty soon after is a good thing, it's always nice to try to get one back you missed out on," Edwards said.

"They always say you learn a bit more from your losses than you do from your wins, but if that was to happen I'd really look forward to that."

Talented Crows Bernie Vince and Jason Porplyzia are likely to return against the Bulldogs on Saturday, while star Saint Luke Ball is also a chance of resuming from a hamstring injury.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Whyt bring up the boring old coaches debate when this story was about Stephen Milne.

Had nothing to do with Ross Lyon but some with their usual agendas have to attempt to jack the thread.

I actually hate the way the media has always accused Milne of being selfish. Milne has always been a team man, has always looked for options, but always got a rough call from commentators.

Jeff Farmer is a selfish small forward. Stephen Milne has never been.

But as i said had nothing to do with the frigging coach. Build a flaming bridge FFS :roll: :roll:

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
TimeToShineFellas
SS Hall of Fame

I wonder how those wanting Schneider dropped like their humble pie served?

9 goals in the last 3 weeks and I reckon he's got an "X factor" quality about him.

Hope him and Milney really turn it on in the next few weeks!

Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

joffaboy wrote:
Why bring up the boring old coaches debate when this story was about Stephen Milne.

Had nothing to do with Ross Lyon but some with their usual agendas have to attempt to jack the thread.

I actually hate the way the media has always accused Milne of being selfish. Milne has always been a team man, has always looked for options, but always got a rough call from commentators.

Jeff Farmer is a selfish small forward. Stephen Milne has never been.

But as i said had nothing to do with the frigging coach. Build a flaming bridge FFS

Spot on Joffa, nothing to do with G.T. R.L. T.W. M.B. or even A.J. Get over it.
Was a positive story on a good footballer who's been highly underated over the last few years.
Seems to me the media have been creaming themselves about Medhurst this season. For Chr..ts sake he's had one decent season in the last five.

Milney has been fairly consistent over the last five. As R.Walls stated, playing small forward is not an easy gig, especially if the big forwards are having an ordinary day.

GO MILNEY, BLITZ THEM THROUGH SEPTEMBER>

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

TimeToShineFellas wrote:I wonder how those wanting Schneider dropped like their humble pie served?
His form, effort and intensity was as bad or worse as the Milne and Dal Santo duo when he was injured. Should have been dropped along with those two if he wasn't injured. He also came back through Casey on return, so no dramas there.

milney044
Club Player

On ya Milney, nice to hear some positive things in the media for once.
And no, he's never been a selfish player- one only has to look at his goal assists over his career to realise this.
But wow, nice words from Robert Walls, i should have framed this article. It means something extra coming from him, listen to him on On The Couch and he's the main culprit when it comes to Milne bashers.
His last paragraph in particular today though, very nice.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Milnes recent improvement IMO has been from his change in being allowed to roam around the ground freely.

I don't believe he would be playing as well being restricted up forward as previous which credit must be also given to Ross Lyon no matter what people who don't like him think.

happy feet
Club Player

Well done Stephen Milne

A good article by Robert Walls. Nothing to do with the coach, but everything to do with Stephen Milne the man.

Wallsy may be a bit of a pain, but he is nothing compared to the pathetic commentary of Tim Watson. I cannot stand his biased commentary - he is always so quick to put s@#t on us. And you can tell when we are gonig well it just about makes him want to puke. I don't know which network he works for, 7, 10 Fox but we should start a letter campaign to get rid of him. He makes we want to spew.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Watson works for 7.

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: Well done Stephen Milne

happy feet wrote:A good article by Robert Walls. Nothing to do with the coach, but everything to do with Stephen Milne the man.

Wallsy may be a bit of a pain, but he is nothing compared to the pathetic commentary of Tim Watson. I cannot stand his biased commentary - he is always so quick to put s@#t on us. And you can tell when we are gonig well it just about makes him want to puke. I don't know which network he works for, 7, 10 Fox but we should start a letter campaign to get rid of him. He makes we want to spew.
I find this strange, I actually think he is biased towards us, especially on SEN.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
But as i said had nothing to do with the frigging coach. Build a flaming bridge FFS :roll: :roll:
That is incredibly naive.

So you think every article is written on it's merits do you? That every 'journo' is honest and open in their reportings purely based on the facts? No personal bias or opinion ever sneaks it's way into their articles?

The best thing about hiring Ross Lyon was that the press liked him. It makes such massive difference to how your club is 'marketed' by the press if he's popular and/or has buddies in the media.

Nothing to do with the coach?? Pffft. Laughable.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Re: Well done Stephen Milne

happy feet wrote:A good article by Robert Walls. Nothing to do with the coach, but everything to do with Stephen Milne the man.

What he is saying is absolutely spot on.

The fact that he's chosen to say it, is completely about the coach.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:It's amazing what a difference it makes when the press like your coach, doesn't it?

If we still had the so called unpopular coach in charge, dodgy, Milne would no longer be a St.Kilda player,

now back in your foxhole, todger

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:

If we still had the so called unpopular coach in charge, dodgy, Milne would no longer be a St.Kilda player,

now back in your foxhole, todger
Sorry, but I don't see the relevance of that statement in this thread?