Chances of finishing 4th

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Chances of finishing 4th

Is it THAT much of a long shot?

We beat Essendon - should do
Bulldogs beat Adelaide - should do
Freo beat Collingwood - Ok bit of an upset required but at Subiaco
Port beat Kangaroos -Upset required but anything can happen as we know

Yeah I know none of these may happen but my point is Bulldogs and us would be expected to win or favourites anyway.

If Collingwood have one of their wobbly flat games, then it's a matter of Port causing an upset and lets face it they aren't the worst team in the comp and actually on their day can be quite tough.

My point is it isn't such a mathematical long shot and very realistic If the teams win that should and a couple upsets which I don't class as major.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Thats true. Its still a fair possibility.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: Chances of finishing 4th

Winmar7Fan wrote:Is it THAT much of a long shot?

We beat Essendon - should do
Bulldogs beat Adelaide - should do
Freo beat Collingwood - Ok bit of an upset required but at Subiaco
Port beat Kangaroos -Upset required but anything can happen as we know

Yeah I know none of these may happen but my point is Bulldogs and us would be expected to win or favourites anyway.

If Collingwood have one of their wobbly flat games, then it's a matter of Port causing an upset and lets face it they aren't the worst team in the comp and actually on their day can be quite tough.

My point is it isn't such a mathematical long shot and very realistic If the teams win that should and a couple upsets which I don't class as major.

consider it a very long shot

saint4life
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Port have no hope against North and freo have very little hope. As I have said before lets just hope the Doggies and us both win.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Port have no hope against North and freo have very little hope. As I have said before lets just hope the Doggies and us both win.
Adel/Dogs 50/50

We should win.............but Ess will be trying to send off Rama/johnson and co in style

saint4life
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Port have no hope against North and freo have very little hope. As I have said before lets just hope the Doggies and us both win.
How can you say that? Hows your tipping been with us this year?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
What does that mean. Tipping been with us!!

SB10
Club Player

Based on the bookies prices it's 25/1 we'll finish 4th. Very little chance.

Strangely Adelaide is favourite over the Dogs. Surely they'll roll Adelaide after their performance last week??? The Dogs travel well too.

Fingers crossed the Dockers do a number on the Pies on Friday and then all we have to do is win for a home final.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Freo beat Collingwood - $2.50
Port beat North - $4.50
Dogs beat Crows - $1.95
Saints beat Dons - $1.13

Rolls into $24.79 to $1.

Now after you think about it, we should smash Essendon this week and after the Crows performance on sunday, the doggies should be able to belt them.

That leaves 2.5 x 4.5.....11.25 to 1.

I like those odds.....

Maybe for the first time in 21 years the footy gods are looking after the great man.

:lol:

markp
Saintsational Legend

Knowing our luck all those results will come off bar one.... ours. :wink:

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
I'm saying with teams being so volatile and inconsistent and we are a good example, how can you give Port absolutely NO hope of knocking over North?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
I'm saying with teams being so volatile and inconsistent and we are a good example, how can you give Port absolutely NO hope of knocking over North?
Because they arent good enough. I still want to know what you meant by saying tipping with us.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Realistically...

Theirs no hope of 3 teams - all hoping for a spot in the top 4 - to all lose to bottom 8 teams (except Adelaide).

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
Because they arent good enough. I still want to know what you meant by saying tipping with us.
Don't get paranoid I'm simply using St Kilda as a good example saying I'm sure all of us including me have tipped us to win games we've lost and tipped us to lose games we've won .

So you should know not to be so positive North can't lose.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
Don't get paranoid I'm simply using St Kilda as a good example saying I'm sure all of us including me have tipped us to win games we've lost and tipped us to lose games we've won .

I think the point is it needs 3 upsets. 2 of them major. I would be happy just to win and also the doggies but good luck to you. I hope you are right but im pretty sure you will be disappointed.

bergsone
SS Life Member

Should have top 4 spot sewed up weeks ago

Long shot now IMO

bigred
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Knowing our luck all those results will come off bar one.... ours. :wink:
I lol'd cos its true.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

we had our chance to finish top 4 and we blew it. once your destiny is in the hands of others it's not worth contemplating.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
Winmar7Fan wrote:

I think the point is it needs 3 upsets. 2 of them major. I would be happy just to win and also the doggies but good luck to you. I hope you are right but im pretty sure you will be disappointed.
If ever it can happen this has been the year full of upsets I don't see Collingwood going over to play Freo too different to when we went over to play the Eagles.

I wouldn't call any of them major upsets Melbourne to beat Adelaide at AAMI is an example of what I class as major.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Don't forget North only beat Port by 2 points last time they met in Round 15. And that was at AAMI, where Port have been hopeless this year.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Beno88 wrote:Don't forget North only beat Port by 2 points last time they met in Round 15. And that was at AAMI, where Port have been hopeless this year.
Except that since round 15 the Kangaroos have lost just one game - are playing to secure a top 4 spot now, and Port Adelaide basically have their reserves team playing..

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:we had our chance to finish top 4 and we blew it. once your destiny is in the hands of others it's not worth contemplating.
It's all relative how many other teams are saying this that don't have any chance ie Sydney? Also spare a thought for Brisbane.
Last edited by Winmar7Fan on Tue 26 Aug 2008 5:01pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:
Port will not win.

Put your house on it.

North are in top form - a 5 goal loss is against Geelong is like a win against anyone else, prior to that they won 6 straight.

They win - they get 4th, simple!

What more motivation do North need to absolutely flog Port???

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Bulldogs coming off an 8 day break and easy win
Adelaide coming off a 6 day break and a tough loss

- Bullies for me

Port coming off a 7 day break and easy game against Dees
North coming off a 6 day break and tough game against Cats

- 50/50 when you take into account Port's recent form against the Kangas

Collingwood coming off a 6 day break and relatively easy win against the Swans
Freo coming off a 6 day break and narrow loss against the red hot Tiges at the G

- 50/50 considering the game is at Subi and Collingwood are without their general in Scotty Burns - Pav is also out however he did not play against the Tiges anyway

Saints to beat Essendon even though the Bombers are coming off a 9 day break - The Saints are off a 7 day break but have no injuries unlike Essendon

There have been plenty of upsets this year and the North v Port and Freo v Collingwood matches are typical of the type of games that many tipsters have got wrong this year

Even though the teams that will be playing in finals is set - this round will be exciting nontheless

Wherever we finish it is the position that we deserve - lets just hope it is 4th or 5th :wink:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
mick13
Club Player

Pavs out for the Dockers, no chance.