Bottom 6 rubbish myth!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Bottom 6 rubbish myth!

This whole bottom 6 crap is driving me up the bend. Remember all these stars in ESS 2000 team that left guess what they were ordinary. Lets look at Geelongs team who honestly saw Harry Taylor beat Roo in any one on one contest. No he had Harley Scarlett Milburn coming fom everywhere. Put him in our side on Mooney without any support would he be the same NO! Lonergan in a weaker side would he solve Melb key forward problems NO! Hunt NO!

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Bottom 6 rubbish myth!

CURLY wrote:This whole bottom 6 crap is driving me up the bend. Remember all these stars in ESS 2000 team that left guess what they were ordinary. Lets look at Geelongs team who honestly saw Harry Taylor beat Roo in any one on one contest. No he had Harley Scarlett Milburn coming fom everywhere. Put him in our side on Mooney without any support would he be the same NO! Lonergan in a weaker side would he solve Melb key forward problems NO! Hunt NO!
So why did they beat us. Is it the top 6 then or the middle 6. It doesnt mean the Cats bottom 6 would be good players in other sides but they would probably be better players than our bottom 6 in other sides.

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Re: Bottom 6 rubbish myth!

plugger66 wrote:
CURLY wrote:This whole bottom 6 crap is driving me up the bend. Remember all these stars in ESS 2000 team that left guess what they were ordinary. Lets look at Geelongs team who honestly saw Harry Taylor beat Roo in any one on one contest. No he had Harley Scarlett Milburn coming fom everywhere. Put him in our side on Mooney without any support would he be the same NO! Lonergan in a weaker side would he solve Melb key forward problems NO! Hunt NO!
So why did they beat us. Is it the top 6 then or the middle 6. It doesnt mean the Cats bottom 6 would be good players in other sides but they would probably be better players than our bottom 6 in other sides.
I can promise you the Cats bottom 6 run harder then our bottom 6...actually - they probably run harder then our top 6.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Watch any football side watch how they run and talk when there winning. Watch the worst players come in and play well. It happens in all levels of footy. Players are still running just that there running goes un rewarded as your not winning a majority of ball.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

The key is that there's less difference between there top 6 and bottom 6. All contribute. No passengers.

steph
Club Player

our bottom 6 are far worse than geelongs.

they dont have anyone as bad as eddy, or mini, or CJ etc

so unfortunately, these guys drag us down, as essentially we are relying on the same core group each week, whereas with geelong, the workload is more evenly shared.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Oh yes thats right who could tell the differance between Ablett Corey Chapman Scarlett Bartall and Steve J and Lonergan Hunt Taylor Rooke Blake and Prismal. :roll: :roll:

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Hey steph and CURLY, is Kosi in our bottom six?

If not, why not?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
remboy
SS Hall of Fame

CURLY wrote:Oh yes thats right who could tell the differance between Ablett Corey Chapman Scarlett Bartall and Steve J and Lonergan Hunt Taylor Rooke Blake and Prismal. :roll: :roll:
That's not the point. Try comparing the contribution that bottom six made with the contribution of the Saints bottom six.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Hey steph and CURLY, is Kosi in our bottom six?

If not, why not?
Football is clearly not a sport youve got a grip on is it. Hang in there little fella youll understand it one day.

steph
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Hey steph and CURLY, is Kosi in our bottom six?

If not, why not?
are you going to make this an anti-kosi thread as well??

i'm not even going to bother repsonding to your question because its simply ridiculous. if you HONESTLY think he is in our bottom six, then your opinion can never be taken seriously again.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

remboy wrote:
CURLY wrote:Oh yes thats right who could tell the differance between Ablett Corey Chapman Scarlett Bartall and Steve J and Lonergan Hunt Taylor Rooke Blake and Prismal. :roll: :roll:
That's not the point. Try comparing the contribution that bottom six made with the contribution of the Saints bottom six.
Put Saints bottom six with Geelongs top 16 and see what happens thats the point. Its the same as when you belt a side everyone looks good.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Agree with you in principle Curly....the confidence and overall performance of a team can elevate average players to a higher rating no doubt...like you have seen many examples of it at various levels of footy....bottom line...winners are grinners and the losers can worry about things like the bottom six....our bottom six were pretty damn good against the Hawks a few weeks ago weren't they :roll:

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Our bottom 6 suck... in fact, our bottom 10 probably suck. It's our stars that keep getting us over the line.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Cat's biggest strength is that that they do not have a bottom 6.

For that matter they don't have a top 6 either..

They have 22 players TEAMING together better than I have ever seen before. this is why they are so good.

One on one contest againts a Cat's player??? it rarely happens...you are always taking ona swarm of them. They are so well drilled that they always know where each other are. If they have an oppoent on them...they just tap or fire it out toa team mate who is always there.

This is why they are so hard to defeat at present...it is one versus many too often.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Thu 11 Sep 2008 10:17am, edited 1 time in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SAINT JUMP
Club Player

you call yourself a saints fan, your a disgrace. sef

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

you to wj support our boys :evil:

Saint Mik
Club Player

CURLY wrote:
remboy wrote:
Put Saints bottom six with Geelongs top 16 and see what happens thats the point. Its the same as when you belt a side everyone looks good.
So whats that telling you about our top 16 then CURLY?

Our list has done well to get this far and COULD upset a few but there is something in your comment about Geelongs top 16 and our top 16 and that is the point of the two teams being miles apart.

No passengers in the Cats line up, yes they have the stars and yes they play to what is required, we have the stars also but they play to a standard that leaves you shaking your head most weeks, if its not one its the other.

If we do not have any passengers we are as good as any team, and that is all 22 players required to do what is expected of them.

NEEDS TO HAPPEN THIS WEEK

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
fingers
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:The Cat's biggest strength is that that they do have a bottom 6.

For that matter they don't havea top 6 either..

They have 22 players TEAMING together better than I have ever seen before. this is why they are so good.

One on one contest againts a Cat's player??? it rarely happens...you are always taking ona swarm of them. They are so well drilled that they always know where each other are. If they have an oppoent on them...they just tap or fire it out toa team mate who is always there.

This is why they are so hard to defeat at present...it is one versus many too often.
Whenever I think about the game last week all I can get is a picture of one or two saints players surrounded by 4-6 cats players - and then seeing them run in a pack. It was impressive and it happened all day.

JeffDunne

I see we're back to blaming the list.

7 days is certainly a long time in football. :lol:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:

Whenever I think about the game last week all I can get is a picture of one or two saints players surrounded by 4-6 cats players - and then seeing them run in a pack. It was impressive and it happened all day.
Exactly...as much as it may grate on us...the Ctas have seta new benchmark for TEAMWORK.

There may well have been better teams in the past....but I do not believe that there has been better TEAMWORK.

Whatever our gameplan is......we have to rise to this new benchmark ourselves.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:Our bottom 6 suck... in fact, our bottom 10 probably suck. It's our stars that keep getting us over the line.
Probably correct, but a bit harsh on a couple.

Just look at the skills of the players in the comparison. No matter how hard a player tries or how desperate or brave he is if, when he gets the ball, he kicks it five metres along the ground into the waiting arms of an opposition player, then that player is no good (Gilbert). Or if a player spends his whole day chasing, but never catching, his opponent, he is no good either (Eddy). Or if, when he eventually flies for a mark he drops it every time (guess who).

There will always be a few players who "play above themselves" if they are in a very good team. Look at some of the players who left Essendon and went elsewhere in 2001 and 2002 having played in a flag in 2000. But you can't have 8 or 10.

We are dragged along by Riewoldt, Hayes and a few others.

We don't need to replace 10 players but we do need to replace 5 or 6. That in itself will take 3 years.

yipper
SS Life Member

Gee, how about we just forget about last week hey? Geelong have been thrashing most teams over the last 2 years - so they thrashed us to.

Doesn't make us a bad team - just a team not as good as Geelong. Like 14 other teams right now. Move on to this week - we have the Pies, who I think are a team we can, and should beat.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Saint Mik
Club Player

yipper wrote:Gee, how about we just forget about last week hey?
Post this comment in the last week of September if we are lucky enough to make it Yippsta :wink:

Forget about it :shock: I have not slept since Sunday, I think I will spew before the game on Saturday, FARKIN NERVES :wink:

Our last final against Melbourne still burns me, and you want me to forget about 5 days ago :lol:

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

SAINT JUMP wrote:you to wj support our boys :evil:
Read ALL my posts, fool. Then start preaching.

38 years for this club... member for about the last 30.

Another poster who thinks that just because you have a view on players then you're not a real supporter. :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.