Animal Enclosure Doco

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure Doco

A documentary was produced in the early 90's (I think specifically?) about the group of Saints fans at Moorabbin that were dubbed "The Animal Enclosure".
I'm sure some of you have seen it before, but I for one, never saw it.
If somebody can tell me the title of the production and/or even know of how to track it down, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Animal Enclosure Doco

Sainternist wrote:A documentary was produced in the early 90's (I think specifically?) about the group of Saints fans at Moorabbin that were dubbed "The Animal Enclosure".
If somebody can tell me the title of the production and/or even know of how to track it down, I'd be most grateful.

Cheers.
I know Mark Fine was in it and maybe Russell Holmesby but cant help with much else. text Finey tonight on SEN.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:I know Mark Fine was in it and maybe Russell Holmesby but cant help with much else. text Finey tonight on SEN.
Good idea, mate.
Thanks for the heads up :)

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Wasnt it called "heathens" or something similar?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I think heathens is right...

Would love to get a copy actually.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
mordi
Club Player

by the powers of Google.........

"Heathens"

Year: 1995
Producer: Megan Spencer ( off JJJ fame)
Director: Megan Spencer
International Sales: Megan Spencer
Duration: 30 mins
Cast: Chook, Scott, Barry, Justin, Thommo, Derek

A documentary that follow four excessively passionate St Kilda football supporters on their quest to football nirvana. More swearing than SCARFACE!

Review by James Young:
I'm talking about "Heathens" which is a 30 minute documentary from young film maker Megan Spencer. Shot in 1991 the film examines the one-eyed football obsessiveness of five bogan StKilda supporters. Now anyone who truly follows football will know that you can forget Essendon and Collingwood supporters because when you want to talk about the quintessential football supporting animal or heathen, the Saints supporter stands proudly in a padded cell of his own.
Most of this film centres on these drunken yobs in the outer together. The camera never pans to the footy and instead concentrates on the fanaticism of these rabid thugs. There is more foul language in the opening three minutes of this classic short than in the entire length of "Scarface". The most frequently repeated phrase bellowed out across the standing crowd is of course, the Gore Vidal meets Mike Sheahan like incite, "You f@#$ing c#@t!"

What's the Point of it All?
my les foote
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
Sainternist wrote:A documentary was produced in the early 90's (I think specifically?) about the group of Saints fans at Moorabbin that were dubbed "The Animal Enclosure".

Cheers.
I know Mark Fine was in it and maybe Russell Holmesby but cant help with much else. text Finey tonight on SEN.
Mark who?

I know at least one of the "cast" posts here

Win it for HIM!
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

my les foote wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Cheers.
Mark who?

I know at least one of the "cast" posts here
Finey's Final Siren.....or is it called something else now?

Usually on 7pm till 11pm weekdays.

Have a listen, he probably has the best show going round on SEN.
Last edited by The Saintsational Man on Thu 18 Sep 2008 6:02pm, edited 1 time in total.

sensaint
Club Player

I used to stand with Chook & Scott !!!!

Junior
Club Player

Proud to say i am an in this movie at a game at Princess Park the guy with a beard.

A champion team will always beat a team of champions.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Chook where are ya?

Winmar
Club Player

Hmmm is there any way of contacting Megan Spencer? She might be able to point you in the right direction.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

In 2008 Megan happily moved to Darwin and now works as the presenter of Drive (4pm - 6pm weekdays), on 105.7 ABC Radio Darwin. She hasn't taken up fishing yet but took like a duck to water to the Nightcliff pool and sunset beers at the Ski Club.

http://www.abc.net.au/profiles/content/s2139515.htm

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for the info, peeps.

I liked James "Hound Dog" Young's review of Heathens. Not bad for a Carlton supporter.

Megan Spencer is more well known about her doco about wrestling. I would have never have guessed that she made Heathens.

Cheers 8-)

Selhurst Saint
Club Player

Heh heh, I can vouch for the fact that at least 4 of those boys were at the Cricketers Arms last week before and after the game.

They have developed into well adjusted young men. :wink:

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Pilgram
Club Player

mordi wrote:by the powers of Google.........

"Heathens"

Year: 1995
Producer: Megan Spencer ( off JJJ fame)
Director: Megan Spencer
International Sales: Megan Spencer
Duration: 30 mins
Cast: Chook, Scott, Barry, Justin, Thommo, Derek

A documentary that follow four excessively passionate St Kilda football supporters on their quest to football nirvana. More swearing than SCARFACE!

Review by James Young:
I'm talking about "Heathens" which is a 30 minute documentary from young film maker Megan Spencer. Shot in 1991 the film examines the one-eyed football obsessiveness of five bogan StKilda supporters. Now anyone who truly follows football will know that you can forget Essendon and Collingwood supporters because when you want to talk about the quintessential football supporting animal or heathen, the Saints supporter stands proudly in a padded cell of his own.
Most of this film centres on these drunken yobs in the outer together. The camera never pans to the footy and instead concentrates on the fanaticism of these rabid thugs. There is more foul language in the opening three minutes of this classic short than in the entire length of "Scarface". The most frequently repeated phrase bellowed out across the standing crowd is of course, the Gore Vidal meets Mike Sheahan like incite, "You f@#$ing c#@t!"
wetting myself laughing - *WML*

TAGHLAO
Club Player

Chook and Barry were in fine form too. The TV freak was there ofcourse. As for Thommo, saw him outside the train station as I rocked up, with nothing but his running shorts and runners on. (He's turned fitness freak these days) Half hour later he entered the Crickers in the same attire but with his saints jumper on.

Not about the Animal Enlosure.

Best scene in the Heathens is Barry lipsyncing to some Death Metal group.

One question though, does Chook look a bit different these days?? Can't quite put my finger on it though.

Also look out for a young Bruce Eva standing behind the goals.

mcadam05
Club Player

Cheers.
I have a copy of the video not for sale but if you can copy it some how you are more then welcome to borrow it :)

matrix
Saintsational Legend

put it in ya video recorder and copy it to a blank disc on ya dvd recorder if its on vhs....

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Mcadam I'd love a copy if i could get it some time...

Pilgram
Club Player

n1ck wrote:Mcadam I'd love a copy if i could get it some time...
there's one at the RMIT audiovisual library on Swanston St.

mcadam05
Club Player

n1ck wrote:Mcadam I'd love a copy if i could get it some time...
PM me and we can work something out :)

tezza1
Club Player

I would love a copy too .
I can put it to dvd if people would like . Makes it easier to go around then !!

Go Sainters !!!!!
hotdish
Club Player

With the amount of ppl likely to request a copy, it'd be better to get it onto a DVD, then get it onto a computer, then torrent it...

Pilgram
Club Player

hotdish wrote:With the amount of ppl likely to request a copy, it'd be better to get it onto a DVD, then get it onto a computer, then torrent it...
there is a copy at the RMIT audiovisual library that can be loaned (by RMIT students) for the express purpose of copying onto disc.