saints in 09

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

saints in 09

i believe saints will finish bottom 6 next year.

simply our good players arent that good and we have no kids. probably fewer kids than any other club.

henno
Club Player

m8 youv gotta be kidding

who would finish above us?

melbourne - gone for the next 4-5 years
eagles - drafted poorly then lost key players
port - era is over, tredrea,lade,wilson and co all but retired
richmond - aren't getting any younger, we beat them this year
carlton - many people think they will be contenders. were in the eight for a cople of weeks, yet failed to win the games they needed to stay in.

??

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Right, so we made a prelim with no good players and no kids.

So who suited up for us then, the tooth fairy et al ??

And if we've got nothing, then God help 12 other teams....... :roll: :roll:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

henno wrote:m8 youv gotta be kidding

who would finish above us?

melbourne - gone for the next 4-5 years
eagles - drafted poorly then lost key players
port - era is over, tredrea,lade,wilson and co all but retired
richmond - aren't getting any younger, we beat them this year
carlton - many people think they will be contenders. were in the eight for a cople of weeks, yet failed to win the games they needed to stay in.

??
carlton and tiges will go past us. port and weagles will be ok

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:Right, so we made a prelim with no good players and no kids.

So who suited up for us then, the tooth fairy et al ??

And if we've got nothing, then God help 12 other teams....... :roll: :roll:
we got riewoldt. we beat some rubbish teams (apart form that hawks game)

blues and lions will be good. pies will improve. tiges will be decent.

swans will be terrible
demons terrible
freo will be terrible
north terrible

henno
Club Player

troll

esaint66
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:blues and lions will be good. pies will improve. tiges will be decent.

swans will be terrible
demons terrible
freo will be terrible
north terrible

Do you have any evidence or reason behind this post or is it just oppinuanated drivel ??? :? :roll:

milney044
Club Player

I believe it is far too early to tell where we will finish next season. It's not even October, we don't even know our full team for 2009 yet :?

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

idiot :roll: :evil:

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ok. we made a prelim but who did we beat???? only the hawks and they had a bad day. look who beat us?

well lets look at rising star nominees. we are the lowest in the league for the last 5 years of nominations. only 2 from a possible 110 games. that is a damning statistic and should be ringing alarm bells LOUDLY. you can ignore it, call me a troll, say i have no idea about footy, stick your head in the sand or up your own arse but it wont make the fact go away. but who is our ryan gamble? our joel selwood? our danyule pearce, our andrejs everitt, our cyril rioli, our rhys palmer?? etc etc etc

we also have no players in the top 10 in the brownlow. if u are not alarmed at this you should be. you should be very alarmed.
and all you muppets that reckon x and kosi are good players (we are still waiting apparently) - well stop dreaming. they are no good.

x has a serious lack of body strength that cant be rectified.
kosi is too short to be a ruckman and not agile enough to be kpp.

bakes is gone. g is gone. goose will never be the same again.

we dont have a ruckman. I hope mcevoy comes good but he might be 5 years off being geniune (if ever).

i know footy clubs deal in hope - and we should all be hopeful. but putting your head in the sand wont make us better and wont change it. yes we finished 4th. but their daylight between us and 3rd and then some daylight again between 2nd and 1st. both the hawks and the dogs will improve again next year.

the blues, tiges lions and pies will all go past us (they have lots of good kids). that means we will be around the 9th mark again next year if we are lucky. but we are only 1 riewoldt injury away from a wooden spoon.

besides BJ, lenny, sam fisher and roo we have no-one close to all australian. and noone close to winning a rising star and noone close to a brownlow. thank god for BJ. i think he will be our best player and should be captain sooner rather than later.

call me whatever u like. but these are the hard cold facts.

besides the swans and the dockers - we have the worst looking list for the next 5 years. dockers and swans are both ageing lists (although at least the dockers have a rising star)
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Tue 23 Sep 2008 12:12am, edited 5 times in total.

St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

That's really steep. I'd be very surprised if we didn't come close to a top 4 finish again. And generally I'm a bit of a pessimist.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

We beat 12 teams.......to finish top 4.

Will do again in 2009 and 2010....we will decline after that

Solar
Saintsational Legend

no worries

make your predictions before the grand final has been played, let alone trade week and draft day....

then there is preseason, the lovely ACL injury which usually hits someone during the preseason cup

plus there is the fixture, know something we don't?

hell if your that confident, put some money on it on betfair.... or you could just be an attention seeker.....

ok I'll bite

I'll bet you $50 we will not finish bottom 6

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
sainters man
Club Player

Re: saints in 09

Con Gorozidis wrote:i believe saints will finish bottom 6 next year.

simply our good players arent that good and we have no kids. probably fewer kids than any other club.
See that is silly talk mate, i recon next year we will have a very good year and should push top 4! we are still pretty young when you take harvey and gehrig out of the side

We have alot of players in the early to mid 20's and still are blooding kids! This trade period we will take more kids and trade for players that will help our team be better (more midfield numbers)

You will have goose back next year that will allow goddard and gram to play perminant roll in the midfield, and i think there are times we are still getting used to the game plan ross wants them to play.

So i think your a bit dramatic saying we wont make finals and will finish in the bottom 6 :roll: , i think we have good times ahead!

RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

Totally agree with Con.

We have a fairly ordinary midfield who is far too slow and limited in their disposals. Our two better players who use the ball well often get tagged out of the game (Dal Santo and Montagna) and disappear in big games.

Our forward line is carried by Roo and Milne (but even Milne goes missing in big games). It is totally disfunctional.

Our average players are below AFL standard. Theses players include;

McQualter (slow, terrible kick, no offense)

Jones (fairly ordinary kick, lacks penetration, lacks genuine pace)

Fiora (soft, struggles to get posessions regularly)

Kosi (mentally weak, inconsistant and shows our lack of depth when he constantly holds his place)

M. Gardiner (lacks pace even for a big guy, lacks fitness, injury prone and a wasted draft pick)

C. Gardiner (lacks consistancy, struggles to mark in pack situations, doesn't get enough disposals)

Gehrig (should never have played at an elite level with near to no pre-season. Body gave in. Stop gap measure to try and win one last flag)

Ferguson (inconsistant and been given enough chances to produce over the years)

Fisher (as above)

Rix (limited in skills, ordinary mark for a big man, lacking in agility to be at the elite level)

Birss (great VFL player who probably lacks pace and penetration with his kicking to be a quality AFL player)

King (slow, ordinary overhead mark for his size, ordinary skills, liability around the ground)

Baker (the game might has passed him by, ordinary kick, ordinary mark, lacks offense)

We have made the mistake of trying to win a flag without addressing our speed, depth issues. We basically did a Carlton and have made some terrible stop gap trades for guys who are quite frankly not ever going to be damaging enough and are fringe players at best.

We have know one coming through and our 'elite' players from the draft of 2001 onwards are no longer elite. With the exception of Roo the rest are good decent players, but not match winners.

I predict a very barren period of 5+ years and stress that we need to rebuild now.
Stop trying to use band-aid solutions for something that requires surgery.
Last edited by RodKeoghsLoveChild on Tue 23 Sep 2008 4:04pm, edited 2 times in total.

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
sainters man
Club Player

well RodKeoghsLoveChild and con make sure we remember this thread! because i totally disagree with you's.

Jones lacking speed is summing up your post :roll:

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think a great trade/drafting period could make a huge difference.

If we gained Cousins and one of Kerr/O'Keefe for Dal Santo and a pick 31 while picking up a good young midfielder in the draft we could have another genuine crack at top 4.

But, that is only if we make the hard calls on the numerous GOPs and plodders clogging up the list and go after real talent. The likes of Eddy, McQualter, Attard, Jones, C.Gardiner etc are never going to be part of a premiership team.

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

we know you really love cj. You bring his name up on every negitive topic.Even when he had a good game you dissapeared. How old are you msg 16, so i heard. The man of football experience.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

huh? :shock:

We are fourth best in the comp, sure the gap between us and the talent above us is huge....but I cannot see why the teams under will brush us aside next year?

Why?

Brendan Goddard should have a blinder next year, and has stepped up to be a real leader of the club. He began to show the last few rounds that he is becoming the player we all knew he had the potential to be.

Gilbert and Raph are continually improving, to compliment the likes of Fisher and Max (that I hope goes around again)

Kosi will benefit from a solid preseason in the forward line (some will shoot me down) now that Gehrig has moved on, all emphasis should be on forming Kosi into a tall forward and not the everywhere man.

The only concern I have is the midfield, this proved to be where we are lacking depth in our finals campaign. We need someone fast, to compliment our existing talent.

Con, my prediction is that you will be pleasantly surprised next year...

GrumpyOne

RodKeoghsLoveChild wrote:
Jones ( lacks genuine pace)

RAOFLMAO

I predict a very baron period

The Baroness will be surprised :wink:

Griggsy
SS Life Member

considering how we gelled at the end of this season im seeing a spot anywhere from 3rd to 8th.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

sainters man wrote:well RodKeoghsLoveChild and con make sure we remember this thread! because i totally disagree with you's.

Jones lacking speed is summing up your post :roll:
Rodkeogh is spot on im afraid.. although i do rate BJ highly. he would be my skipper. super player.

and jones does lack pace. he is a sheep dog. runs around in circles and looks like his legs are moving. but doesnt cover the ground well at all. im an ex sprinter and i can tell you. he lacks genune pace. ive seen him run down and ive seen players pull away from him

i love his endeavour and would definitely keep him - he is improving for sure. and the buddy chase was awesome. but he doesn have real pace.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Bump

Lots of people are wrong :wink:

StSteven
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Bump

Lots of people are wrong :wink:

Well put......roflmao

VietNam_Saint
Club Player

GOLD :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: