Possible Delistings

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

azza12
Club Player

Possible Delistings

Possible Delistings for this year:

Shane Birss - Yes, works hard, had a really good year for Casey, worked hard for the seniors when given a chance, but I can't see him leading us to a premiership.

Charlie Gardiner - Simply a list clogger, works hard, but hasn't contributed enough, may survive as it was only his first year.

Michael Rix - Has battled hard. however time to go

Matthew Ferguson - Has been on the list for a fair period of time and just hasn't made the step, although when given the chance this year looked capable

Leigh Fisher - I personally think should hold, gives 100% and can fill a hole, however question marks will be raised.

Question marks surround Gwilt and Mcqualter however at times they showed they are capable at the level. Also with youth on their side may be given another chance. Especially Gwilt who provides some height and speed should be given another year.

I believe the likes of Fiora and Michael Gardiner can still play a sufficient roll when fully fit and given opportunity as they have expereince and at times have proven themselves in the past as key players. Fiora not that often but has skill to do so. The likes of Birss and Rix have never shown that.

The middle aged players above essentially should be the first to go as they seemingly are not going to be able to bring St.Kilda a premiership and we should look to youth to fill in raeas that we need and eventually the younger players will bring some energy to the team and pace, that will also hopefully hold us in good shape for the future.
Last edited by azza12 on Tue 23 Sep 2008 4:58pm, edited 3 times in total.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I think Howard should go too.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Saints94
SS Life Member

SaintWodonga wrote:I think Howard should go too.
Signed a 2 year deal not long ago

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

So you have 6 de-listings with the possibility of another 2. Add that to our 2 retirements and we need to find 10 players for our list. Thats a whopping 25%. Too many in my mind.

I'm not sure how agressively we will pursue trade deal, but Archie Fraser let slip that we would be taking around 6 picks this year.

Yes, we have rookie elevations to consider but I would think Harvs, Fras and 3-5 others will come off the list, a couple of rookie elevations and that would leave us with 5 live picks in the draft.

What we do during trade week could dramatically change this !!

milney044
Club Player

By taking 6 picks...what does that mean in terms of how active we are during the trade period? I am so behind when it comes to understanding trade and draft week.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

milney044 wrote:By taking 6 picks...what does that mean in terms of how active we are during the trade period? I am so behind when it comes to understanding trade and draft week.
It means trading our players for their draft picks. Every club will be trying to do it this year !!

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

OUT
Harvey - Retired
Gehrig - Retired

One of Michael Rix or Michael Gardiner
(if the injury reports about Gards is true then Rix earns another year on the list otherwise it's curtains for him)

One of Matthew Ferguson or Charlie Gardiner
(I'd be more inclined to keep Charlie as most players peak after about 70-100 games and he's much nearer the mark than Matty is)

Aaron Fiora
(simply hasn't produced)

That's 5 players

This will make me unpopular but I would shop around the following players and take anything between a late 2nd round - early 4th round pick)

Baker - Injuries will slow him down... IMO his best football is past him

L. Fisher - We've gpt a lot of players that can fill his role

X. Clarke - Been on the list for what 7 years? Yet can't get his body right. Fades in and out of games and goes missing under pressure

Maguire - Injury detracts from the fact he hasn't played consistent good footy since 2005

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I suggested to delist Fiora on another thread, but I was advised he is contracted until the end of next year and cannot be delisted....

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I suggested to delist Fiora on another thread, but I was advised he is contracted until the end of next year and cannot be delisted....
He can still be delisted, we just need to pay his contract out.

Worth every cent I'd say!!!!

If Archie has mentioned us using 6 picks, and I would assume Attard, McQualter, and possibly Miles, will be elevated from the rookie list, that's 7 we need to delist on top of Harves and Fraser retiring.

I think anyone who is over 23 and not in our best 22 is in real strife, ie Fiora, Ferguson, Rix etc.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:I suggested to delist Fiora on another thread, but I was advised he is contracted until the end of next year and cannot be delisted....
He can still be delisted, we just need to pay his contract out.

Worth every cent I'd say!!!!

If Archie has mentioned us using 6 picks, and I would assume Attard, McQualter, and possibly Miles, will be elevated from the rookie list, that's 7 we need to delist on top of Harves and Fraser retiring.

I think anyone who is over 23 and not in our best 22 is in real strife, ie Fiora, Ferguson, Rix etc.
agree. i reckon 23 should be the cut off. no point delisting anyone under 23.

x, ferg, rix, l fisher, gardi must all be in serious trouble.

they should delist fiora and whovever was responsible for his last contract should be made to pay his final year making it revenue neutral. what a clown.

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

Delist
Fergo
Leigh Fisher
Rix

and put X up for trade ,

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't mind seeing Goose chopped....can't see him being an effective defender again after 2 years out.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

St Chris wrote:[If Archie has mentioned us using 6 picks, and I would assume Attard, McQualter, and possibly Miles, will be elevated from the rookie list, that's 7 we need to delist on top of Harves and Fraser retiring.

Has Archie really said that we would use 6 draft picks? That would surely be close to an all-time record and would take you a long way down the draft list to pick up players who it is hard to believe wouldn't otherwise be available as rookies.

If we delist Rix or Fiora, we also need to pay out their contracts. If we do that simply to exercise a 5th or 6th draft pick, that seems to me to be an expensive option compared to taking on borderline players as rookies (unless, as I mention below, we are going to see the likes of Max and Baker retire or be forced out).

As I see it, Attard, McQualter and Eddy would need to be elevated. And then we must have a minimum of 3 more picks, perhaps plus one to hold in reserve for the PSD (and/or for elevating Miles, if that is really such a good idea).

Gone for me are

Retired

Harvey
Gehrig
M Gardiner

Cut

C Gardiner
Birss
L Fisher
M Ferguson

Beyond this are the aforementioned Fiora and Rix. Or, I suppose, the possibility of Max or even Baker pulling the pin or (in the case of Baker) cut from the list.

Then you run into fairly regular choices for the top 22: cutting Gwilt, Scheider or Jones, or one or more of Attard, Eddy and McQualter not being elevated.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
saintly
Saintsational Legend

delist

ferguson,
rix,
L fisher,
c gardiner,

put x clarke up for trade

consider
what to do with eddy and mcqualter

RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

I say delist anyone regardless of age, who does not have fundimental football attributes which are kicking, pace and an offensive game.

Age only has merit when a kid lacks body strength and a few years to adapt to the pace of the game.

As far as I am concerned if you can't kick a football well (at 18 or beyond) which is far too many on our list then dump them.

Mcqualter, Rix, M Gardiner, Ferguson, L Fisher, C Gardiner have to go. It is obvious these guys are no way near AFL standard.

I would keep Eddy. First year player who should be granted a second year at worst. Shown some glimpses of what he can do. Needs to stay on his feet more in contests.

We need to draft players who kick with pentration first and foremost. Pace and some mongrel would also be great.

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:Has Archie really said that we would use 6 draft picks
http://www.news.com.au/adelaidenow/sport/afl/story/0,26547,24381330-5016212,00.html wrote:But the club was also determined to bring in elite, young talent to bolster a solid core, Fraser said.

"I would think we would be looking at having our six picks. I can't see the club looking to trade any first-round or second-round picks," he said.

"It's a strong draft, and Drainy and the recruitment guys have done a lot of work on it. We are confident that the top 25 selections are really solid."
However, the six picks could be 3 National Draft, 3 Rookie. There a number of ways to spin this.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

If we are having six picks, as Archie says, we are trading at least one, so called, good player for a high draft pick.

My guess and hope, would be Kosi.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
St. Luke
Saintsational Legend

Goose will bounce back bigger and stronger in 09. I think people forget how good he is. Trains the house down and tries his guts out. Resting him this season would have done him the world of good. He won't go anywhere.

When they created LENNY HAYES (in the shadow of Harvs) they forgot to break the mold (again)- hence the Supremely Incredible Jack Steven!!
spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Ferg would be a better bet than Gilbert in the back half. Apart from an easy game against the Woods in the finals, Gilbert has looked very ordinary this year. LFisher looked really slow this year and would probably be delisted. Armo, Eddy, Geary, Allen, Steven and McEvoy will form a core of players for the future who can only get better with experience. X has had too many injuries and may struggle to stay on the list, same for Goose, and McQ has been Ok, but hasn't set the world on fire. Rix is a great clubman, but is only VFL standard, same for Charlie G. I would groom Gwilt for the centre as he has a strong body and a bit of grunt, and uses the ball well by foot with a good penetrating kick, unlike most of our midfield. MGardiner is not up to it any more, same as Fiora. Apart form exceptions like Cousins, I would not recruit anyone from another club, over 25 y.o.