First Round Pick...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

First Round Pick...

Under no circumstances should the Saints trade their first round pick. Look what we ended up with last time they traded it... Fergus Watts!

Our first round pick should be used to draft the best young player available, whether a forward, back, midfielder or follower.

We should be sending this message to the club loud and clear!

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Under no circumstances should the Saints use their first round pick in the draft. Look what we ended up with last few times used it... Ben McEvoy, David Armitage, Andrew McQualter, Raphael Clarke.

"Future premiership superstars!"

:roll:

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:Under no circumstances should the Saints use their first round pick in the draft. Look what we ended up with last few times used it... Ben McEvoy, David Armitage, Andrew McQualter, Raphael Clarke.

Premiership class superstars!
Are you serious? Each of them have played more games than Fergus Watts could ever dream about! (With the exception of Ben McEvoy - he has equalled Watts games record for St Kilda...)

Cro
Club Player

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:
evertonfc wrote:Under no circumstances should the Saints use their first round pick in the draft. Look what we ended up with last few times used it... Ben McEvoy, David Armitage, Andrew McQualter, Raphael Clarke.

Are you serious? Each of them have played more games than Fergus Watts could ever dream about! (With the exception of Ben McEvoy - he has equalled Watts games record for St Kilda...)
Yeah, but we've used picks more often than we've traded. So trading this time could be the go, especially as our pick is getting on in the first round.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

fergus watts. only st kilda would do something that dumb. maybe freo. i remember pagans kid got drafted but not a first round!

seriously his old man should be hung up for that. what a bunch of amateurs.

"hey guys - my son is awesome - lets use our first pick on him"

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Didnt we also trade our first round pick in 2002 for Barry Brooks??

I rest my case Your Honour!

JeffDunne

Con Gorozidis wrote:fergus watts. only st kilda would do something that dumb. maybe freo.
North Melbourne says hi.

Very few clubs don't make decisions that in hindsight look stupid.

We paid market rates for Watts when we signed him. Unfortunately, unlike you, the club didn't have a crystal ball.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I'm not saying they're crap - not at all - it's just that the first round in recent years has not delivered us anything of note thus far.

Personally, with the deals on offer during this one trade week, and given our very public deficiencies, we'd be negligent not to move for either Kerr (preferably) or Didak.

And quite frankly, I don't trust our recruiting staff. We haven't picked up one decent player from the draft since 2003 (Sam Fisher).

Geezer
Club Player

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:Didnt we also trade our first round pick in 2002 for Barry Brooks??

we traded BOTH picks #6 and #31 for brooks.

#6 was the pick we got from hawthorn for the everitt trade
and on traded to port who took salopek.

salopek. mackie, selwood, lonergan all in that draft and were picked around pick 6-30

but if i had a do over - id keep brooks
:)

#35 - Thanks for the Memories.
21 Great Season's
Simply Remarkable
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

FortiusQuoFidelius wrote:Didnt we also trade our first round pick in 2002 for Barry Brooks??

Did we use our first round pick on Caydn Beetham in 1999?

I rest my case. FFS :roll:

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:fergus watts. only st kilda would do something that dumb. maybe freo.
North Melbourne says hi.

We paid market rates for Watts when we signed him. Unfortunately, unlike you, the club didn't have a crystal ball.
You're correct, we dont have a crystal ball, but we should use the benefit of hindsight. The club would be foolish if they didnt!

JeffDunne

Personally I reckon you're nuts if you are adamant one way or the other.

If there's a ready made player available for a late first round pick - why not do the trade?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:Personally I reckon you're nuts if you are adamant one way or the other.

If there's a ready made player available for a late first round pick - why not do the trade?
Exactly.

Geezer
Club Player

our ability to draft talls and develop them (apart from anyone called N.Reiwoldt) is a quandry.
has been for years.
is there a bermuda triange down linton street that sucks the ability out of any tall that walks in the gate ?

#35 - Thanks for the Memories.
21 Great Season's
Simply Remarkable
FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

JeffDunne wrote:Personally I reckon you're nuts if you are adamant one way or the other.

Yes, but not a "ready made" player with off field issues like Kerr or Didak or Cousins. Recruiting these type of players will destroy the culture the club has worked hard to instill. We're better off drafting a good kid with a bit of talent than a ratbag superstar!!

Cro
Club Player

Yes, but not a "ready made" player with off field issues like Kerr or Didak or Cousins. Recruiting these type of players will destroy the culture the club has worked hard to instill. We're better off drafting a good kid with a bit of talent than a ratbag superstar!!
We would be better off off-field, I doubt we'd be better off on field..

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:

Did we use our first round pick on Caydn Beetham in 1999?

I rest my case. FFS :roll:
In 1999 we also traded pick #39 for Justin Plapp...

The defence rests but reserves the right to rebuttal.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Cro wrote:We would be better off off-field, I doubt we'd be better off on field..
Precisely.

Happy to have a few rogues on the premiership dias next year.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
North Melbourne says hi.

market rates my ass. only the saints rated him. if he was so good why couldnt he get a game at the crows? why did they trade him?? crows were chuckling with that trade.
stop excusing idiocy with the excuse "other clubs make mistakes too". im really BORED of that excuse.

the fact is he was rated more highly by the sinats than anyone else because of the relationship with his old man. to think otherwise would be kidding ourselves.

Cro
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:
Cro wrote:We would be better off off-field, I doubt we'd be better off on field..
Precisely.

I'll drink to that. :p

Also, what did Adelaide get from the Watts trade?

JeffDunne

Con Gorozidis wrote:
JeffDunne wrote:
North Melbourne says hi.

market rates my ass. only the saints rated him. if he was so good why couldnt he get a game at the crows? why did they trade him?? crows were chuckling with that trade.
stop excusing idiocy with the excuse "other clubs make mistakes too". im really BORED of that excuse.

the fact is he was rated more highly by the sinats than anyone else because of the relationship with his old man. to think otherwise would be kidding ourselves.
I think you should go back and revist the quotes from Crows officials when he said he wanted out.

The Crows didn't want to trade him - he said he wanted out. In fact Adelaide went quite feral about the prospect of him walking out.

Someone's kidding themselves here and it aint me.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Cro wrote:
evertonfc wrote:
Precisely.

I'll drink to that. :p

Also, what did Adelaide get from the Watts trade?
Adelaide used the pick to draft Darren Pfeiffer who never played a senior game and was delisted at the end of 2007

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
Precisely.

well Lyon doesn't want a team full of blokes you could take to Nanna's for Sunday Roast, so that GT hang-up is now history...

As for trusting the recruiting staff, let's hope the extra money/staff in the footy dept will help our intellegence gathering/decision making.....but I sort of agree with you re the trusting aspect - they really need to deliver big time on the 1st rounder, be it by trading or draft table selection.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ace
Saintsational Legend

2007 McEvoy 9
2006 Armitage 9
2005 Watts 17
2004 McQualter 17
2003 R Clarke 8
2002 Brooks 6
2001 X Clarke 5
2001 Dal Santo 13
2001 Black 17
1999 Beetham 9

2002 Goddard 1
2001 Ball 2
2000 Riewoldt 1
2000 Koschitzke 2
2000 Hamiill 4

Am I the only person who can see the pattern.
Unless the first round pick is in the first 4 and the correct use is starring them in the face, St Kilda recruitment get it wrong no matter whether they trade or pick.
If they pick, with few exceptions, they pick a softy.

Lets be honest, they were told to pick Goddard, Ball, Riewoldt and Koschitzke in the newspapers.

The best solution may be to admit defeat and simply sell any first round pick for CASH and 6th round picks. The AFL changed the rules, you no longer need a player involved.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Adelaide used the pick to draft Darren Pfeiffer who never played a senior game and was delisted at the end of 2007
He has since been picked up by Carlton and played 7 games this year.