The FIXture. Is it partially our OWN FAULT ?? !!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

The FIXture. Is it partially our OWN FAULT ?? !!

Whilst the 2009 Fixture looks pretty damm good from a footy perspective, the fact that we only get 10 Free to Air games and do not get to host any Friday Night games will definately hurt financially.

We probably need to look closer at WHY we were given such a draw. One angle that hasn't been raised yet is the fact that MOST media outlets felt that we were very difficult to deal with in 2008. Whether this is true or not is irrelevent, it is their perception. I take it that they have a fair bit of influence when it comes to fixturing purely through the weight of their money. Is this an area where we need to improve? It's all well & good to blame the afl or to blame collingwood for their great draw but we need to look at every aspect of what we can do better.

I have no biases when it comes to going to matches. I will be attending all of our Melbourne games and a couple interstate as well

I'm interested in others' thoughts on this !!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Eastern...

You stated a couple of months ago that you received an email from the Club with respect to your preferences on day or night games and Saturday or Sunday matches...

Both myself and a few on here never received that email and we were never given an opportunity to voice our preference.

This is what I am angry about.

The very fact the Club has taken time to send out emails but for some reason a few never received it.

Surely, it's in the Clubs best interest to listen to the supporters and gauge what the fans want?

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
1eyedNever
Club Player

What a load

How tthe fu@k is it our fault
WE OWN 1/16 th of the AFL and should demand a fixture that is the equal year in year out
If that means we travel 4 times one year and 6 the next so be it as long as other clubs get the SAME
Absolute corrupt set
But as usual the SKFC will do sweet FA
No wonder our membership is s*** if the ADMIN dont stand up for US as we own thhe SKFC

SKFC has now been confirmed as the AFLs BITCH
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:Eastern...

You stated a couple of months ago that you received an email from the Club with respect to your preferences on day or night games and Saturday or Sunday matches...

Both myself and a few on here never received that email and we were never given an opportunity to voice our preference.

The very fact the Club has taken time to send out emails but for some reason a few never received it.

Surely, it's in the Clubs best interest to listen to the supporters and gauge what the fans want?

they took a sampling of the membership is what i think happened bit impratical to survey 30,000 + members.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Obviously the press love Malthouse's mood swings and petulance.

Hell if we are hard to deal is, what is Malthouse.

No, what we are doing as Hawthorn, Geelong, North, Bulldogs, Melbourne and Richmond is catering to the bias to Collingwood, Carlton and Essendon so that these three are guaranteed two games against each other each year and get fewer interstate trips.

I tell you, if I had the millions, I'd love to take the AFL to court over this and show up their bias and corruption.

ashjam
Club Player

Guys, it has nothing to do with us being hard to deal with.
Actually more a reason and this is fact, is we are now one of the most boring teams to watch in the AFL.
Sounds odd with a line up like we have, but be totally honest before replying and chastising me, I know we made a prelim final this year, but who can honestly say that they enjoyed the brand of football we played at any stage this year?
3 years ago we were the most exciting team in the AFL, now aside from Melbourne, we are probably the most boring....and it is not that the individual players are boring, it is our game plan and style that is bordering on unwatchable

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Ashjam, unfortunately, I have to agree with you that our game plan was boring, though I did think we became a lot more watchable at about half way through the 2nd quarter of the North game at the Gold Coast.

There's only one way to resolve this problem, with the media AFL etc and that is that everyone must renew their memberships and get others to join.

We need a membership base of 35,000, also, we must make sure that we pack the Etihad Stadium every game we play there regardless of who we play as well as have the largest contingent of travelling supporters when we play interstate.

Of course the players could pitch in a little and win the 2009 premiership.

However even if that happens, bet Collingwood still get a better draw in 2010 if they finish 10th or worst than we do.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

For all people blaming our game plan for the draw - one of the most exciting teams when they were on song is the Bulldogs - their draw is almost the same as ours!

Shafted - maybe - whose fault - only the AFL who arrange the draw to suit their pockets!

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Definately the result of our god awful approach to the game (most of the time). It was bought up twice that I remember that it could well effect our draw, and look out, it certainly has.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

ashjam wrote:Guys, it has nothing to do with us being hard to deal with.
Actually more a reason and this is fact, is we are now one of the most boring teams to watch in the AFL.
Could it be a bit of both? The club needs to find a definitive answer. My idea would be for the club to sit down with key players from the AFL as well as senior reps from Ch 7, Ch 10, Foxtel, Austerio, Southern Cross & SEN and obtain answers as to what is required to get a better draw.

Purely from a football view, I think we have done very well !!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:

they took a sampling of the membership is what i think happened bit impratical to survey 30,000 + members.
Why would it be impractical ???

Surely with a computerised survey it would take very little effort and give the Club an accurate account of what members prefer.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Hey Fid !!

A couple of points.

I read elsewhere in this thread that the club may have done a "sample only" thing on this. If so, I think it is more than a little odd as the cost to the club would be minimal, and your money/opinion is just as good as mine.

Have you contacted the club and asked what hapened and why? It could be that they don't have your e-mail addy on their data base. We all know the problems they have had with that.

FWIW I voted for;

1. Saturday Night
2. Friday Night
3. Saturday Day
4. Sunday, especially twilight

I also believe that our club should continue to push for Good Friday, although I fully understand that is a completely seperate arguement !!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:

Hey Fid !!

A couple of points.

I read elsewhere in this thread that the club may have done a "sample only" thing on this. If so, I think it is more than a little odd as the cost to the club would be minimal, and your money/opinion is just as good as mine.

Have you contacted the club and asked what hapened and why? It could be that they don't have your e-mail addy on their data base. We all know the problems they have had with that.

FWIW I voted for;

1. Saturday Night
2. Friday Night
3. Saturday Day
4. Sunday, especially twilight

I also believe that our club should continue to push for Good Friday, although I fully understand that is a completely seperate arguement !!
Tom,

I get emails from them all the time, but never received the one about preferences.

Agree that the cost of sending out emails to ALL members would be minimal and would give the Club a more accurate guide of what members prefer.

I can't believe the Club would do this, what is the point of getting a "sample", where they could have got an accurate account of ALL members.

Unprofessional IMO.

I am not saying that the Club would have got what it wanted from the members, but at least the Club would know what all the members prefer

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

3rd generation saint wrote:Ashjam, unfortunately, I have to agree with you that our game plan was boring, though I did think we became a lot more watchable at about half way through the 2nd quarter of the North game at the Gold Coast.
I cant believe that you point to this game and still blame the game plan.
It was obvious that game vindicated RL's line in the sand.
Players that arent willing to work hard wont get picked.
Play to the game plan or dont get picked.

Seeya
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

St Fidelius wrote: Tom,

I get emails from them all the time, but never received the one about preferences.

Agree that the cost of sending out emails to ALL members would be minimal and would give the Club a more accurate guide of what members prefer.

I can't believe the Club would do this, what is the point of getting a "sample", where they could have got an accurate account of ALL members.

Unprofessional IMO.

I am not saying that the Club would have got what it wanted from the members, but at least the Club would know what all the members prefer
Unprofessional?
Sorry StFid you are only miffed because you werent randomly chosen by the outsourced survey company.
What about all the Stkilda suporters who dont buy memberships surely you want their opinion to be included as well?
There is only one universal poll in this country a federal election and even then not ALL australians get a vote.
Last edited by sunsaint on Sat 25 Oct 2008 10:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seeya
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
St Fidelius wrote: Tom,

Unprofessional IMO.

Unprofessional?
Sorry StFid you are only miffed because you werent radomly chosen by the outsourced survey company.
What about all the Stkilda suporters who dont buy memberships surely you want their opinion to be included as well?
There is only one universal poll in this country a federal election and even then not ALL australians get a vote.
At what greater cost would it be for the Club to gauge what ALL its current members prefer?

Do you really know if this survey was "outsourced" ?

Surely a simple poll survey by the Club could have been an option?

I am not naive to think that once the Club had those details, the AFL would be so obliging, but at least the Club would know what all it members prefer.

Yes, unprofessional, when you consider for a few dollars more it could have had the preferences from all of it current members.

IMO their is not much point in having a "half baked" survey, either you do it right or don't bother

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Rather than have a blue on here about it, contact the club. The easiest way would be the "Ask Archie" on the other forum !!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:Rather than have a blue on here about it, contact the club. The easiest way would be the "Ask Archie" on the other forum !!
I have sent off an email to him.

I don't believe I am having a blue with anyone about it

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Whilst I agree that sending a questionaire to every member is now easy with email distribution, does anyone think that the Clubs requests are adhered to 100%??

Its like a union's log of claims. You go into a meeting with a list of requests/demands..but know deep down not all of them are met. Most Melbourne clubs would have very similar requests..loads of Friday night games, loads of FTA telvision coverage, play interstate as least as possible. Unfortunately it seems that only one Club gets most of what they want.

WOuld still be an interesting excercise to ask Archie though..Id love to know what % of our requests were granted..from a football dept viewpoint AND from the administration viewpoint. Id think bugger-all of the latter

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintDal
Club Player

One of the reasons for our draw may be that we had preferances of who we would play and where we would play but not so much of when we would play.
The key points for the Saints in the 2009 fixture are:

• 15 of 22 games to be played at the Telstra Dome
• The first time in five seasons the Club embarks on just one Perth trip
• No game at the Gabba for just the second time in 12 years
• Monday Night Football against Collingwood in Round 7
• A return to the Gold Coast for a home clash against Melbourne in Round 10
• Just one game each against the 2008 Grand Finalists, including playing Hawthorn in Tasmania
• Home and away matches against Melbourne, Essendon, West Coast, Kangaroos, Sydney, Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Whilst I agree that sending a questionaire to every member is now easy with email distribution, does anyone think that the Clubs requests are adhered to 100%??

Its like a union's log of claims. You go into a meeting with a list of requests/demands..but know deep down not all of them are met. Most Melbourne clubs would have very similar requests..loads of Friday night games, loads of FTA telvision coverage, play interstate as least as possible. Unfortunately it seems that only one Club gets most of what they want.

WOuld still be an interesting excercise to ask Archie though..Id love to know what % of our requests were granted..from a football dept viewpoint AND from the administration viewpoint. Id think bugger-all of the latter
Like I stated...

It would be naive to think that the AFL would be so obliging to our responses, but the Club really has no idea on what their supporters want.

Why bother with a half baked survey then?

kaos theory
Club Player

It was mentioned by others, the likely reasons:

- For virtually the whole season we played unattractive, defensive football. We were regarded as a boring team to watch, and were not in serious finals contention untill the last few rounds.

- Our supporter base at games also dropped off this year (probably becuase of the the above point), and lost a level of excitment at games

- We are no longer the glamour team with up & coming stars as we were in 04, 05 (even 06 to some extent)

- Other vic clubs are expected to be more exciting to watch, e.g. hawks, cats, and the teams on the rise such as blues, tigers, pies and maybe the bombers

- So, therefore we have been relegated to a bunch of twilight games.....

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Eastern wrote:Rather than have a blue on here about it, contact the club. The easiest way would be the "Ask Archie" on the other forum !!
I have sent off an email to him.

I don't believe I am having a blue with anyone about it
Give them time :wink: !!

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
Since when has the club ever bothered to listen to the supporters about anything?

Won't stop Archie who came down in the last shower telling everyone how wonderful Seaford is, after we the members had SFA say in anything to do with such an idiotic decision :roll:

Maybe the club tried to survey all members, but on the day of the mail out, they misplaced the data base!

Or maybe the AFL now think we are a joke, with a bunch of numbnuts, nong's, nuffies, dingbats and dunderheads running the joint, basing an AFL club in Seaford and no longer are we to be taken seriously.

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I have never heard such carp in all my life. It's the clubs fault, it's the fault of our game plan. Who else down at St Kilda do you want to blame? FFS, stop whinging and whining!

Here are some points to mull over:

1) St Kilda games had the 2nd highest TV ratings behind Collingwood.

2) Carlton have become the wonder team again now that they have FINALLY managed to pull themselves up from the bottom by a few places.

3) The club are not much happier about our draw than what we are.

3) I think to some degree we are being punished. Maybe giving us a lower profile in case when Cousins comes back he relapses (not going to happen, but they certainly don't want him back and we have done all in our power to ensure that he does)?

4) Possible lingering fall out from GT (the umpires still prove that).

Read into these what you will, but FFS, stop blaming the club.
Last edited by saint75 on Sat 25 Oct 2008 8:10pm, edited 1 time in total.