Ben McVoy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintersss
Club Player

Ben McVoy

Hey i was just wondering does anyone know how far away this kid is from playing? Do people think he will get a decent run next year? Or is he more of a long-term prospect.

I think if he can get in the team for next year, it will be a huge step for us in competing for the flag...

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Just quietly, it's McEvoy - the E is crucial!

Personally, I think he might snag about 8-10 games next year, playing mainly as a forward, and as a relief ruckman. I think he needs to a bit of work on his rucking abilities (i.e. tapwork, 2nd efforts in the stoppages etc.), from the little I've seen of him so far. Think by 2010 he'll become a regular contributor to the team as a ruckman/forward. Looking forward to see how he develops next year.

The Saints are coming!
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

It'll be interesting when he next plays for the Saints if he marks the ball first up or whacks it with his face......again

:lol: :lol:

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I agree, whatever game time he does get next year (ignoring possibility of injuries to King and Gardiner) most of it he will be spending in the forward line.

TBH I see him as more of a future Key Forward rather than ruckman, even in the VFL he looks a little lost in the ruck but he knows when to lead and can take a gram in the forward line...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

there's a great story in the Emma Quayle book- "The Draft"
which leads me to having belief in Ben and what he can be to the Saints.

it ends with the quote " I knew where I was going" this said from a 6 yr old - Country kid-
Lost in the show bag hall at the Melbourne Show - turned around and Mum and siblings gone -- Rule for family stay put- NO sign of Ben
after 90 min they made their way to the grandstand- to prearranged meeting point with Dad

there's Ben ,6, waiting for them- where had they been.......
He had stopped in the spot- thought it was more than the ten minutes of standing and waiting- so got a map out of his pocket and worked out his way to the grandstand and His father.
" I knew where I was going"

Keep working toward it Ben.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
stinger
Saintsational Legend

now if we can teach him to get his hands together before the ball hits him in the noggin......... :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
undecided
Club Player

i want us to spend more time on blake mcgrath, i think he will b a better ruck prospect then mig mac. hmm big mac could b either of them, lol

well im pretty sure big mac will b our future ruckman

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Imagine if we got Hamish McIntosh in trade week :shock:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
undecided
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Imagine if we got Hamish McIntosh in trade week :shock:
i would but tv killed my imagination

iceman
Club Player

i was impressed early in the year with McEvoy, his games at Casey were really good, but he never kicked on throughout the year.

At presentation he was on crutches and i had the chance to have a long chat with him, he said he had a stress injury in his foot and for a lot of the latter half of the year was forced to jumped off his wrong foot in the ruck and struggled with mobility. Hopefully that's all sorted and he can kick on next season. A first class person as well who will always give the time of day.

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

It'll be interesting when he next plays for the Saints if he marks the ball first up or whacks it with his face......again

now if we can teach him to get his hands together before the ball hits him in the noggin.........

I know it's all a bit of a joke, but Ben had his arm chopped in the marking contest and in fact recieved a free kick. Which he went and hit the post from.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

iceman wrote:i was impressed early in the year with McEvoy, his games at Casey were really good, but he never kicked on throughout the year.

At presentation he was on crutches and i had the chance to have a long chat with him, he said he had a stress injury in his foot and for a lot of the latter half of the year was forced to jumped off his wrong foot in the ruck and struggled with mobility. Hopefully that's all sorted and he can kick on next season. A first class person as well who will always give the time of day.
glad to hear that....personally...he always brings a tear to my eyes every time i think of him.......and what might have been......... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintly_safes
Club Player

Havent seen much of him but what I have seen has been pretty ordinary but he's only young & bigger blokes take longer to develop . For a first round draft pick I would have expected him to show more than he has, lets hope his best is ahead of him.

spiral2
Club Player

will be interesting to see how he develops, very early days for a ruckman.
I think he'll make it, though I do worry about his speed/agility. He came with good wraps on his endurance so that's good. I just worry that he'll be a bit of a lumberer and that if he's too slow then he'll struggle as a forward (a la Kosi).
seems like a good kid that's willing to work hard, should turn out alright I reckon.

saintly_safes
Club Player

spiral2 wrote:will be interesting to see how he develops, very early days for a ruckman.
I think he'll make it, though I do worry about his speed/agility. He came with good wraps on his endurance so that's good. I just worry that he'll be a bit of a lumberer and that if he's too slow then he'll struggle as a forward (a la Kosi).
seems like a good kid that's willing to work hard, should turn out alright I reckon.
I think your on the money ,that is exactly how I see him hope were wrong.

makemytime
Club Player

He won't play that many games next year. King did really really well this season and he'll be our number 1 ruckman.

Gardiner also still remains, but his form has always been questionable. And considering that we used King + Blake + Kosi when we started making our awesome run home, Gardiner may also find it hard to come into the side. Maybe hes only here to lure Cousins?!? I dunno but hopefully he can get some quality ruckwork going and play many games for us until McEvoy has fully developed.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

saintly_safes wrote:Havent seen much of him but what I have seen has been pretty ordinary but he's only young & bigger blokes take longer to develop . For a first round draft pick I would have expected him to show more than he has, lets hope his best is ahead of him.
Sheesh..sorry he's not Joel Selwood MkII..what exactly WERE you expecting pray tell?

At 19 y/o with one whole season under his belt...I reckon theres every chance that his best is yet to come...dont you???

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

undecided wrote:i want us to spend more time on blake mcgrath, i think he will b a better ruck prospect then mig mac. hmm big mac could b either of them, lol

well im pretty sure big mac will b our future ruckman
Any reason for that other than McGrath being a behemoth?

One is a top ten draft pick, the other is a scholarship rookie, but I'm interested in any info from anyone whose actually seen our gargantuan New South Welshman play.

Yes, I did write this post just to use the words behemoth and gargantuan. :)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
saintly_safes
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:Havent seen much of him but what I have seen has been pretty ordinary but he's only young & bigger blokes take longer to develop . For a first round draft pick I would have expected him to show more than he has, lets hope his best is ahead of him.
Sheesh..sorry he's not Joel Selwood MkII..what exactly WERE you expecting pray tell?

At 19 y/o with one whole season under his belt...I reckon theres every chance that his best is yet to come...dont you???
As I said I hope his best is ahead of him . I'm not knocking the kid all I said was he hasnt shown much yet & he is definately not Joel Selwood & I dont expect him to be I just thought he would of shown a bit more promise than he has. Excuse my ignorance but what the hell is"pray tell"

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

saintly_safes wrote: . Excuse my ignorance but what the hell is"pray tell"

Etymology

From pray (“‘ask (politely)’â€

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Who the heck is Ben McVoy... and pray tell, where for art thou Ben MacEvoy? Or Ben McEvoy for that matter.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.