Cousins to the Lions: Mick McGuane claim on Sport 927

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbob
SS Life Member

Cousins to the Lions: Mick McGuane claim on Sport 927

Mickey Mcguane has just stated on 927 Sport, that he has it on good authority that Ben Cousins' preferred choice is now the Lions.

Shattering news, hopefully the Saints can have another crack at changing his mind.

:( :( :(

Pilgram
Club Player

if you expect me to believe that bob you are more stupid than i thought.
why would ben cousins want to play for a team that hasn't played finals football in almost half a decade?
i dont believe it for one second.

mick maguane is on drugs if he expects anyone to believe that, i'm sorry.

Shades
Club Player

Pilgram wrote:if you expect me to believe that bob you are more stupid than i thought.
why would ben cousins want to play for a team that hasn't played finals football in almost half a decade?
i dont believe it for one second.

mick maguane is on drugs if he expects anyone to believe that, i'm sorry.

agreed

Pilgram
Club Player

dirty ex-filth.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Would have thought that Ben's preferred choice at this stage would just to be to be allowed to play AFL football again...andf that wont be locked in until tomorrow.

Mickeys being a bit mischievous I reckon

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
ace
Saintsational Legend

Mick McGuane was one of Grant Thomas' assistants for 2006.
He got kicked out after one year along with Thomas and his other assistants.

He is only showing his bitterness toward the St Kilda footbal club for wrecking his attempted start to a coaching career.

Ben would be a fool to PREFER Brisbane when they haven't even talked to him yet.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
markp
Saintsational Legend

Voss will be the next Tim Watson... Cousins may be silly, but he's not stupid.

uncle joe
Club Player

It will probably come down to money when the crunch comes . It usually does , and I wouldn't have Cousins marked as having any special loyalty to us .

He has to name his price , and if Brisbane want him , and match what he wants , they have an earlier pick than us , and will get him .

He's 30 , hasn't played any football for a long time , and has just come off an addiction problem , (which must have taken some toll on his body ) .

Not so sure whether he signs with us matters much anyway .

Pilgram
Club Player

if ben cousins has half a brain he will play for st. kilda if not then good luck to him.

ctqs
Club Player

I think that's why we're making as much room in the salary cap as we can, so he can nominate terms that nobody else can match. It doesn't mean we have to pay him that, because it's the NOMINATED total that is included in the cap, not any payments under. Alternatively, we may front-end his contract, giving him a truck-load this year, but something reduced significantly next year (if he lasts).

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
uncle joe
Club Player

Dead right ctqs . But so can the Lions , or anyone else .
Any club talking to him will have salary cap room to move !

peter lockwood
Club Player

Honestly why would he go to a club that hasnt even started talking to him 2-3 weeks out from drafts.Lyon and the boys have done everything to get him here,had dinners and meetings.He has been seen out with some of our players and Nixon has applauded us in our dealings with him.And has downplayed Brisbane,s part in the equasion.In the Western Australian they stated on Saturday we were in the box seat and they expected Ben to train with us from wednesday.
Ben knows that we want him and that we have stuck by him through this whole process he also knows that we tried to trade for him before all this crap hit the fan and remember he was happy to come until Worsfold caved in.Lets just see him get cleared and i reckon he,ll name us as his destination.

milney044
Club Player

In terms of team list i would have thought he'd prefer to come to the Saints who still appear more short term to the Lion's young list..but in terms of environment Brisbane wouldn't be too bad for Ben. Similar to Perth AFL is not big and he would escape the lime light for sure, concentrate on his football career rather than dealing with the media and fanatical fans..
I guess it comes down to where Ben is at and what he's looking for in his come back to footy.
I hope he comes to the Saints but i understand how both clubs have something to offer.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
maverick
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:I think that's why we're making as much room in the salary cap as we can, so he can nominate terms that nobody else can match. It doesn't mean we have to pay him that, because it's the NOMINATED total that is included in the cap, not any payments under. Alternatively, we may front-end his contract, giving him a truck-load this year, but something reduced significantly next year (if he lasts).
Spot on, that's my take as well.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

As I have stated before - to me it seems like the bleeding obvious - if the Lions really want Cousins, that is where he will end up. The AFL will make sure of it.

Why? The AFL is really worried about Cousins having a relapse and bringing bad publicity to their game. I would have thought that having Cousins making his return to football in Melbourne, under the constant gaze of the AFL media and supporters, would be the highest risk imaginable. His every public move will be phoned in to radio talkback, journos, etc. If he comes to the Saints, and links up with Gardi again, the risk is pretty much at maximum intensity.

Brisbane is a place where Cousins would have some hope of going out to see a film, eat a meal, etc. without being instantly recognised. Also, whether he makes a go of it or not, he will attract an enormous amount of publicity to the game of AFL in a region where interest is currently waning, but where the AFL nevertheless wants to put in a second team.

So, if the Lions want Cousins and Cousins is cool about going to the Lions, the AFL will make sure that he goes there rather than to us.

The only thing that helps us - as I have posted previously - is that I can't see how Cousins can be any help to the Lions in a football sense. The Lions have two excellent midfielders in Black and Power who are of a similar age to Cousins. Why on earth do they need a third? If the Lions want to top up ATM, they need to top up down back and out wide, where they are very weak. But, seriously, what the Lions need to do right now is what we did in the early 2000s: look to draft some young talent with the potential to play 200 games.

Whatever time, effort, money they spend on Cousins will be utterly wasted in terms of team-building: indeed, it is likely to be a major distraction. It will provide great publicity, but that's the beginning and end of it. I cannot see a Lions team with or without Cousins making the PFs, let alone the GF or a flag, in the next 4-5 years.

If I were a Lions supporter, I would be praying that somebody in the administration realises the likely drawbacks of recruiting Cousins and doesn't fall into the trap. But I imagine the pressure is coming hard from the AFL hierarchy right now.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Pilgram
Club Player

maverick wrote:
ctqs wrote:I think that's why we're making as much room in the salary cap as we can, so he can nominate terms that nobody else can match. It doesn't mean we have to pay him that, because it's the NOMINATED total that is included in the cap, not any payments under. Alternatively, we may front-end his contract, giving him a truck-load this year, but something reduced significantly next year (if he lasts).
Spot on, that's my take as well.
and mine.
except for the truck-load part.
as long as he is comfortable that's the main thing.
an average income at a good club in grand final contention.
he cant realistically ask for more than that.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Could be the decision that makes or breaks Voss, so does that mean he thinks he has another chance at a flag next year? I'm just not convinced that a rookie coach would go down that path....

Legendary
Club Player

Ricky Nixon's preference is a huge factor in this decision, and make no mistake that he is favourably disposed towards St Kilda.

brown-coat
SS Hall of Fame

This is crushing news if true.

Pilgram
Club Player

Legendary wrote:Ricky Nixon's preference is a huge factor in this decision, and make no mistake that he is favourably disposed towards St Kilda.
agreed.

uncle joe
Club Player

Ricky Nixon is favouably disposed to Ricky Nixons pocket .
Ricky Nixon will go where the money is .

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Why all the insecurity? We'll survive without him. Anyone would think we were talking about Judd.

MB, interesting point about the AFL. But surely, they cannot make his comeback subject to him going to the club they prefer or nomiate?

This would contravene and mock everything about the draft, and as far as I know, there is no rule in place to give the AFL the power to make such a decision.

Imagine the legal strom and bad publicity. Won't happen IMO. He'll go to his preferred club.

Besides, it would a massive back down by someone as opinionated as Voss to declare his interest. If Aker was too controversial, then what's Cousins?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Pilgram
Club Player

uncle joe wrote:Ricky Nixon is favouably disposed to Ricky Nixons pocket .
Ricky Nixon will go where the money is .
well he IS ricky nixon :P

Pilgram
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:Why all the insecurity? We'll survive without him. Anyone would think we were talking about Judd.

?
judd is the only reason that carlton aren't bidding

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Voss will be the next Tim Watson.
I don't believe so.

Even if Voss has the tactical capacity of a moth, he will still be a much better coach than Watson.

Just look at how they handle people. Voss is a leader of men, and his stirring speech for Harves at the Brownlow this year is just a snippet of that.

Watson, on the other hand, should not be on a morning show unless his secret plan is to make everyone to fall asleep at the wheel on the way to work.

As for Ben, if he wants to go to the lions, then good luck to him. A partnership between player and team is two way.