Facts to date of why the Lions will not draft Cousins:

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Facts to date of why the Lions will not draft Cousins:

Ok here is the full list of the facts to date of why the Lions will not draft Cousins:

1/ One minor sponsor has stated that he does not want Cousins
2/
3/
4/
5/
6/

Wherea on the other side:
1/ Voss has indicated that he is interested in Cousins
2/ Voss has tried (unsucessfully) into talking an older Lion into not retiring
3/ Lions have picks before us
4/ Lions do not have salary cap problems

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

do we have salery cap problems

JeffDunne

2) The AFL don't want Ben Cousins in Brisbane.

Look at the press today that other sports are yet again receiving in Brisbane and you'll understand why. The AFL are the cleanskins in SEQ and the AFL would like it to stay that way.

Saints94
SS Life Member

The afl don't want Ben to play at all

stinger
Saintsational Legend

homework wrote:The afl don't want Ben to play at all

correct.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:2) The AFL don't want Ben Cousins in Brisbane.

Look at the press today that other sports are yet again receiving in Brisbane and you'll understand why. The AFL are the cleanskins in SEQ and the AFL would like it to stay that way.
I don't disagree.

Unfortunately though the AFL don't make the draft selections. The clubs do.

Voss wants Cousins.
Ross wants Cousins
Laidley wanted Cousins..but his Board would not let him have him.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

the AFL - more specifically the lions might not be seen as cleanskins if what the youngen's get up to goes to court and becomes public

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
JeffDunne

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:

the AFL - more specifically the lions might not be seen as cleanskins if what the youngen's get up to goes to court and becomes public
Perception and reality aren't necessarily one in the same.

Voss' court case for instance barely raised an eyebrow.

Why?

Because the AFL media in Brisbane is small enough to be self-serving. The few reporters that actually report on football are too close to the team to report objectively.

Unless the story is a national story it won't get traction in Brisbane. Since most Brisbane stories are of no interest down south it is easy to avoid the spotlight here.

That is why some at Brisbane are dead against the drafting of Cousins. However it isn't straight-forward as some of the Brisbane hierarchy are so besotted with Voss they'll back whatever he does.

The AFL's wishes will be paramount though because the board members with a wider interest in football will have the final say.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:

Perception and reality aren't necessarily one in the same.

Voss' court case for instance barely raised an eyebrow.

Why?

Because the AFL media in Brisbane is small enough to be self-serving. The few reporters that actually report on football are too close to the team to report objectively.

Unless the story is a national story it won't get traction in Brisbane. Since most Brisbane stories are of no interest down south it is easy to avoid the spotlight here.

That is why some at Brisbane are dead against the drafting of Cousins. However it isn't straight-forward as some of the Brisbane hierarchy are so besotted with Voss they'll back whatever he does.

The AFL's wishes will be paramount though because the board members with a wider interest in football will have the final say.
this is a lot bigger than voss king hitting some twat....

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Voss beats up twats? :shock:

“Yeah….nah””
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Sorry if this has been posted already, but I found this article in the Australian. Is it me, or has it been the just the opposite for Ben in the media?

"Ben Cousins worship is 'dangerous for kids"

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 84,00.html

Research presented at a drug conference in Sydney today criticised newspapers for "going soft" on the disgraced footballer over his illicit drug use.

"They protected him, treated him as if something had been done to him rather than him doing this to himself," said lead researcher Professor Sandra Jones, from the Centre for Health Initiatives at the University of Wollongong.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

i still reckon brisbane might be playing us. saying they aren't interested so ben drifts out and then snatch him from under our nose with a late pick.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Mon 24 Nov 2008 10:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

markp
Saintsational Legend

No club will take him against his will.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:No club will take him against his will.
But that is the thing.

Ben mainly just wants to play AFL...

He may, or may not prefer us,........but if the Lions did take him he would be playing AFL again...and that is by the reports of those that know him what he badly wants to do.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

This from Brisbane BF boards...

Originally Posted by Hilly72

"according to the 6pm news grab on SEN we are now the front runners..

Anyone have information on how they have come to that idea?"

someones playing something....

“Yeah….nah””
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

does anybody share the same opinion that its been great to see the club finally do something professionally???

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I'd agree with that....

They have been the souls of discretion, and it's killing me :D

GeorgeYoung27
Club Player

Ricky Nixon was on 3AW tonight and I got the impression that St Kilda was first option and then Brisbane would only be a possibility if the Saints board decided not to draft him. He also said that Patrick Smith's insistance that Ross didn't want BC was completely fabricated like the rest of his article. If the board says yes, I would suggest that Ben will say no to the Lions.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:i still reckon brisbane might be playing us. saying they aren't interested so ben drifts out and then snatch him from under our nose with a late pick.
Any other club could do the same.

Just on another note, Cousins best made has just been caught trafficking a shitload of drugs - http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/story/0 ... 48,00.html. Cousins is a brilliant footballer but is a huge risk. With the company he keeps, his rehabilitation is that much harder. The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it

uncle joe
Club Player

The story about Cousins mate being caught with drugs is over 6 months old . I would imagine the AFL and indeed the other 15 clubs know all about it . Still , it's not good .
I think he will be more trouble than he's worth . Is past 30 , hasn't played much footy for 2 years and will be nowhere near the player he was at West Coast .
Also , the drug thing WILL NOT GO AWAY .
He will come to St.Kilda because nobody else wants him , not because he really wants to play with us . He just wants to play AFL footy again , and will go wherever he can get a go . He hasn't said he will only play at St.Kilda !
At the first hint of any trouble with any of our young players , the knives will be out whether it's Bens fault or not .
Just don't think he will be worth the trouble .

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Its all about the company you keep

Can you imagine focussed, professional, mature adults like Roo, Kosi, Dal or Bally suddenly succumbing to the dark side after Benny arrives? Or them allowing any of our younger players to be placed in temptations way SHOULD Benny even look like transgressing?

I reckon we've got the most level-headed leadership group in the comp...we are now reaping the benefits of looking at players attitude as much as their playing ability at Draft time.

St Kilda of even 2000-2001? Id have real reservations..but if any Club right now can provide a stable environment for Ben Cousins to put his past behind him and ressurect his career, its St Kilda

Whilst its not the end of the world if the CLub choose not to, I for one will do a happy dance if they decide he's a chance worth taking!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
JeffDunne

Teflon wrote:This from Brisbane BF boards...
Oh the irony . . .

undecided
Club Player

Teflon wrote:This from Brisbane BF boards...

Originally Posted by Hilly72

"according to the 6pm news grab on SEN we are now the front runners..

Anyone have information on how they have come to that idea?"

someones playing something....
well they want him and they have picks ahead of us and no salary cap issues so therefore they are favourites

undecided
Club Player

GeorgeYoung27 wrote:Ricky Nixon was on 3AW tonight and I got the impression that St Kilda was first option and then Brisbane would only be a possibility if the Saints board decided not to draft him. He also said that Patrick Smith's insistance that Ross didn't want BC was completely fabricated like the rest of his article. If the board says yes, I would suggest that Ben will say no to the Lions.
i farking hope BC would tell the lions to F*** of

Joey
Club Player

undecided wrote:
GeorgeYoung27 wrote:Ricky Nixon was on 3AW tonight and I got the impression that St Kilda was first option and then Brisbane would only be a possibility if the Saints board decided not to draft him. He also said that Patrick Smith's insistance that Ross didn't want BC was completely fabricated like the rest of his article. If the board says yes, I would suggest that Ben will say no to the Lions.
i farking hope BC would tell the lions to F*** of
Imagine if he told the lions he only wants the saints and then tonight the board decides not to persue him, he wouldn't have anywhere to go.

All will be revealed by tomorrow afternoon i guess, if and when he nominates for the draft.

A champion is not defined by a number of wins, but by the courage shown to get up when your down