Is Riewoldt a Marshmallow??

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintwill66
Club Player

Is Riewoldt a Marshmallow??

Now I realise that Christmas is the season for giving, so my timing for this audacious proposition is probably going to draw plenty of flak from my fellow diehard Saints. The topic of this post came up in my weekly footy-talk session where I work, and was prompted by a comment in the press from one of St Kilda's new recruits from SA who apparently had some time ago remarked that Nick Riewoldt is soft.

It is a fair question, because it goes to the heart of the capacity of this current St Kilda team to win a premiership. As my mate from Gympie said to me this morning (g'day Danny!), Nick Riewoldt is a franchise player - whatever that means......OK, I do know what that means, and it bothers me that St Kilda FC is built around a single (supposed) superstar, both on and off the field. Off the field is not a problem, but on the field is. Take a look at most of the games that Riewoldt played in this year and you will see St Kilda's attack permanently centred on getting the ball to our blonde hero. That has worked fine in some games, but has also failed when opposition coaches man more than 1 defender against him.

If you compile a list of essential attributes for your key forward, Riewoldt ticks every box bar one - hard on the man (as distinct from hardness on the ball). The very characteristic that makes Nick such a crucial figure off-field - he's a nice guy, looks great on-camera etc - is a characteristic he takes on the field with him. You rarely see Nick showing anger or mongrel when confronted by a tough opponent. It is one thing to beat your opponent with sheer class (and Nick does that really well), but footy is foremost a man's game and needs the sound of thundering feet bearing down and striking fear in the heart of the opposing backman as they go for the ball.

None of this suggests that Riewoldt lacks courage, not at all, he has oodles of it, but he needs to go on a course of killer pills in the off-season because unless he adds ruthless aggression to his formidable talent, he will not be the saviour he was long ago heralded to become. Important to note too that Riewoldt is the skipper, and he needs to be a mean bastard who commands respect from all of his players, in the style of Buckley, Voss and now Brown.

So my wish for Christmas is that Nick Riewoldt sheds "Mr Nice Guy" and develops a permanent snarl......can someone send him some highlight tapes of Ron Barassi in his heyday?

It is also my dearest wish that Ross Lyon and his team of coaches take a close look at the 2008 Grand Final and observe the way Alistair Clarkson allowed Franklin, Roughead and Williams to roam from attack to defence, which totally destroyed Bomber Thompson's pre-match strategies. It was only on rare occasions that Lyon diverted from a predictable template in 2008, and gets out-coached as a result.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

look at it objectively..

People get hung up on one incident (brissy crying) wether conciously or unconciously, Roo is not soft never has been never will be. Is he as hard as Hamill was no, but not many players are.

Roo always goes in hard always runs back with the ball, always pursues and tackles, what more in terms of hardness are you able to preform nowdays????

No one has etheral fear about a player nowdays (except maybe Hall) players know someone can't hurt them nowdays and fear of the big forward or ruckman is gone, Brown the much lauded "power forward" has almost no presence when the opp has the ball he never chases and never puts pressure on, but he hit someone in a granny so he's tough and hard.

Even if he got suspended every week he played from whacking a bloke there will still be people calling himsoft because of that Brissy game.
Last edited by ausfatcat on Sun 07 Dec 2008 5:15pm, edited 1 time in total.

james rose
Club Player

This is why I liked Hayes as captain- he's ruthless.

i think Riewoldt has been developing that edge to his game though... so in that regard maybe bad timing for the criticism.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

So...umm...what does he have to do to harden himself up? Get some ink?? Hang out with bikies??? Belt someone behind play???? He flies backwards into packs, plays with one leg, stays on the ground with a broken collarbone until he's called off, runs so hard he could outlast a camel...sure, he's not likely to strike fear of being stretchered from the ground into an opposition player, but what part of any of this show that he's soft? I'm lost.

HarveysDeciple

degruch wrote:So...umm...what does he have to do to harden himself up? Get some ink?? Hang out with bikies??? Belt someone behind play???? He flies backwards into packs, plays with one leg, stays on the ground with a broken collarbone until he's called off, runs so hard he could outlast a camel...sure, he's not likely to strike fear of being stretchered from the ground into an opposition player, but what part of any of this show that he's soft? I'm lost.

100% spot on....He isn't ruthless, he doesn't belt blokes, but he is our most courageous player and toughest competitor easily....

Soft is a word that should never be used in the same sentence as Roo...

james rose
Club Player

I thought the post was pretty reasonable guys..

the post mentioned all the tough things roo does but just mentioned ONE thing he doesn't

degruch
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:I thought the post was pretty reasonable guys..

the post mentioned all the tough things roo does but just mentioned ONE thing he doesn't
Is that one thing useful?

james rose
Club Player

degruch wrote:

I think its a very useful asset... not one that roo really needs... but the good players who have it I believe find it an asset

degruch
Saintsational Legend

james rose wrote:
degruch wrote:

I think its a very useful asset... not one that roo really needs... but the good players who have it I believe find it an asset
Fair enough. I'm not against players having a bit of mongrel in 'em, but I wouldn't say someone is soft because they don't. For example, I never saw North's Jess Sinclair belt anyone either, but you couldn't knock the guy out with a 4x2, he was as hard as nails. What about Harvs too???

I think because Roo's a 9ft tall blonde pretty boy he is a target for such comments, but they're totally unwarranted IMO...the guys career will speak for itself.

PS: He's got to play in the same forward line as clumbsy Kosi...he must have nerves of steel too!

bethb7
Club Player

ausfatcat wrote: Even if he got suspended every week he played from whacking a bloke there will still be people calling himsoft because of that Brissy game.
Exactly right, he will never live that down. Soft isn't something he is though he works so hard for the team I think that is more of an inspiration than any mongrel or aggression he shows, although it couldn’t hurt.

If you can't give the commitment you gave this year and you don't want to improve, you can go because we have unfinished business-Ross Lyon
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Cam Mooney has that supposed one thing.....would you prefer he lead the side.......and get reported every second week, or give away cheap free kicks, whilst riding on the coat tails of a midfield....when things are tough he spits the dummy like a child...

Being malicious in footy is almost gone......you and you team actually pay the price for rubbish like that.....ask Dean Solomon.

Ball, Hayes, Hudghton and RIEWOLDT are my most admired players.....they are chapions because they do not deviate.....the thought does not enter their head......and the NEVER give up

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt leads by example. He is hard at the pill, never ever shirks the job, and never goes missing. he is sometimes beaten but that is different to going missing.

To suggest Riewoldt is soft is ridiculous and offensive. Riewoldt has courage and skill.

I wanted Hayes to be captain but Nick really showed his captaincy skills especially in the second half of the year. By force of will Riewoldt dragged us across the line on more than one occasion last year.

I really doubt if we would have made the finals last season let alone the top four with out his leadership and his example.

Anyone who calls Riewoldt soft, either physically or mentally really is either trolling or doesn't know a great deal about football.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
james rose
Club Player

I don't believe anywhere the original poster said he'd rather have someone other than roo... I think he was merely hoping roo gets a bit more of that edge to his game...

what people could debate is

the benefit

and

whether he already posses it

I think he is already developing that attitude

and at the right rate

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I'd prefer a ball player....like a Harvey, Barker or RIEWOLDT....than a supposed 'hard man'

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Anyone who calls Riewoldt soft has no idea IMO... (Not saying that the OP did)

Riewoldt is one of the most courageou players in the leagues, any player can sniper someone (Solomon on Ling) but it takes true courage to go back with the flight of the ball...

The only bad quality about Nick Riewoldt as a player is that there is only one of him...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
TassieJones
Club Player

Riewoldt is not soft, that the OP agrees with. But why does he need to go the man? Why would that help his game? I don't remember Harvey ever laying someone out, I can't recall Hird being physically intimidating, even the games best current forward Buddy isn't hard at the man (quite the opposite, many times he's failed to get up from hits) why would wasting time not concentrating on the ball make Nick a better player?

He is an intimidating figure, he hurts you where it really counts, he's big, he's got courage, he sledges and gets in peoples face without resorting to cheap shots and I can guarantee you 99% of AFL players would s*** their dacks at the prospect of having to play on him.

as an aside does anyone remember earlier this year, Riewoldt remonstrates with Andrew Lovett whilst he wrestles with Montagna and says 'you bash your f****** missus'. many in the afl community said it was over the top, unnecessary, unsportsman like (all of which is incorrect) and yet the same people claim he's not hard enough? That he's too much of a nice guy? Ridiculous

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

TassieJones wrote:Riewoldt is not soft, that the OP agrees with. But why does he need to go the man? Why would that help his game? I don't remember Harvey ever laying someone out, I can't recall Hird being physically intimidating, even the games best current forward Buddy isn't hard at the man (quite the opposite, many times he's failed to get up from hits) why would wasting time not concentrating on the ball make Nick a better player?

He is an intimidating figure, he hurts you where it really counts, he's big, he's got courage, he sledges and gets in peoples face without resorting to cheap shots and I can guarantee you 99% of AFL players would s*** their dacks at the prospect of having to play on him.

as an aside does anyone remember earlier this year, Riewoldt remonstrates with Andrew Lovett whilst he wrestles with Montagna and says 'you bash your f****** missus'. many in the afl community said it was over the top, unnecessary, unsportsman like (all of which is incorrect) and yet the same people claim he's not hard enough? That he's too much of a nice guy? Ridiculous
I don't believe it was over the top, as long as it finished when the siren went and as far as I'm aware he went and shook Andy's hand after the game which is good enough for me...

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
jays
Club Player

Hayes as captain was great he is the toughest at the club with the most heart

BakesFan
SS Life Member

haahahhaha... Rooey soft??? There are a ton of Roo moments that come to mind(that mark in Sydney tops the list) before I even get to his emotional display at that Brissy game... The bloke's pure courage and wears his heart on his sleeve.
Maxy's the same (remember the Doggies game?).

Does Roo need more 'mongrel'?.... maybe, but if it detracts from his attack on the footy; I'd say "No".
I don't want to see Roo taking his focus away from the ball in order to prove how 'tough' he is.

If there are people who don't realise how tough he is by now; then nothing (short of him getting rubbed out for weeks at a time) will convince them otherwise.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

jays wrote:Hayes as captain was great he is the toughest at the club with the most heart
The man in the number 35 would beg to difer...

TassieJones
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:
TassieJones wrote:Riewoldt is not soft, that the OP agrees with. But why does he need to go the man? Why would that help his game? I don't remember Harvey ever laying someone out, I can't recall Hird being physically intimidating, even the games best current forward Buddy isn't hard at the man (quite the opposite, many times he's failed to get up from hits) why would wasting time not concentrating on the ball make Nick a better player?

I don't believe it was over the top, as long as it finished when the siren went and as far as I'm aware he went and shook Andy's hand after the game which is good enough for me...
I agree, it was a media beat up over nothing. Perfectly legit, great in fact sledge

Hayes was a great captain and would captain most clubs, but you have to weigh up what's more important, his toughness or Riewoldt's ability to be the match winner? At the start of the season I thought Hayes should have been captain but Riewoldt lifting us up the ladder single handedly changed my mind, that's what a real captain does.

Lennon
Club Player

Enough said.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

TassieJones wrote:
Armoooo wrote:

I agree, it was a media beat up over nothing. Perfectly legit, great in fact sledge

Hayes was a great captain and would captain most clubs, but you have to weigh up what's more important, his toughness or Riewoldt's ability to be the match winner? At the start of the season I thought Hayes should have been captain but Riewoldt lifting us up the ladder single handedly changed my mind, that's what a real captain does.
Completely agree, I was really disappointed when Roo was named captain, and after a few embarassing media performances early on in the gig he was looking like the wrong decision but my god when the game was there to be won it was Roo that stood up, without Riewoldt we would have been pretty close to a bottom 4 side IMO...

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

the thread title is a joke
here is one of the most courageous players in the league
he wears his heart on his sleeve

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Saints94
SS Life Member

dcstkfc wrote:the thread title is a joke
here is one of the most courageous players in the league
he wears his heart on his sleeve
Amen... Paul Cahill didn't mean in that way anyway.......