Andrew Mc Qualter

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly_safes
Club Player

Andrew Mc Qualter

Why do we keep him on our list? He is not up to it ,never has been & never will. Dont like to bag our players but he just aint got it . Tries really hard but just hasnt got whats required at afl level & thats not his fault but you would have to question that he was taken as our first round draft pick 4 years ago & has done sweet fa & is still on our list

vacuous space
SS Life Member

What did he do wrong tonight? He laid some good tackles and didn't turn over the ball. He hardly embarrassed himself out there.

He's probably not in our best 22 anyway, so I don't get why people are ripping into him. He's a depth midfielder at this stage.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
saintly_safes
Club Player

vacuous space wrote:What did he do wrong tonight? He laid some good tackles and didn't turn over the ball. He hardly embarrassed himself out there.

He's probably not in our best 22 anyway, so I don't get why people are ripping into him. He's a depth midfielder at this stage.
He was a first round draft pick , & now hes a tagger at best , we already have steve baker , clint jones, jason blake,robert eddy, sean dempster that play the run with role we really don t need another negative player that has no other role than being a "tagger". Hes not up to it & we should have cut our losses & stuck with our decision to delist him in 2007 .Mark my words he aint gunna make it , he hasnt got it & you dont have to be a Rhode scolar to work that out .St Kilda has put a lot of faith in this kid & he hasnt cut the mustard & 90% of saints fans thought that after his first year . Just have a look at players that went after mcqualter in that draft year I think you might actually cut me some slack.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

saintly_safes wrote:I think you might actually cut me some slack.
I'm cutting you exactly none. Another cheap shot artist from safe behind your keyboard. :roll:

McQualter was quite servicable last night; he's hard at it all the time, disposal is decent, and has good hands in close. What are you expecting? Bob Skilton?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Mini is a reasonable backup but you can't have too many of his type on your list (which I think we do). He isn't a liability but it's not like we couldn't manage without him.

derby Street
Club Player

St Dac, SS just made an opinion (right or wrong ?) Perhaps McQ does get marked harder than most being a first round draft choice.

Guess what - If everyone took notice of your comment "Cheap shot artist behind ... the keyboard" - there would be no opinions or indeed hardly anyone at all on the SS site ! :shock:

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Anyone notice Luke Powers input last night???

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Mini will finish top 5 for the B&F... Sandringham.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
jays
Club Player

he did ok give him a break first game of season

jay young
Club Player

Hes ok but im not a fan of x clarke m maguire j kos l ball mgardiner s baker id give him a go before those guys .

vacuous space
SS Life Member

saintly_safes wrote:Just have a look at players that went after mcqualter in that draft year I think you might actually cut me some slack.
I'm going to lose a lot of sleep missing out on Nathan van Berlo.

And McQualter had 4 clearances last night and 100% disposal efficiency. Like I said, he hardly put a foot wrong. The only reason to criticise him after a game like that is that you simply don't like him.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
loris
Saintsational Legend

saintly_safes wrote:
vacuous space wrote: he hasnt got it & you dont have to be a Rhode scolar to work that out .

And you definitely are not a "Rhodes Scholar" that's obvious :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

derby Street wrote:St Dac, SS just made an opinion (right or wrong ?) Perhaps McQ does get marked harder than most being a first round draft choice.

Guess what - If everyone took notice of your comment "Cheap shot artist behind ... the keyboard" - there would be no opinions or indeed hardly anyone at all on the SS site ! :shock:
Hey derby, belt it up your ring. I'm sick to death of internet heroes dumping on members of our team without foundation.

Mini ain't a worldbeater, but he's having a red hot crack, and that's all you can ask. He certainly wasn't our worst last night, and the coaching staff have seen fit to keep him. I suspect they're better informed than any of us here.

Saintersss
Club Player

I've gotta agree with everyone here, he's no superstar but he doesn't do too much wrong. He's just a ok depth player.
There were plenty worse players last night.

saintly_safes
Club Player

loris wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:
vacuous space wrote: he hasnt got it & you dont have to be a Rhode scolar to work that out .

And you definitely are not a "Rhodes Scholar" that's obvious :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:
yeah :oops: as you will see from most of my posts spelling & grammer are not my strong points but hopefully other posters can understand what im trying to say :lol:

sabras
Club Player

St DAC wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:I think you might actually cut me some slack.
I'm cutting you exactly none. Another cheap shot artist from safe behind your keyboard. :roll:

McQualter was quite servicable last night; he's hard at it all the time, disposal is decent, and has good hands in close. What are you expecting? Bob Skilton?
agree... and his efficieny way high 70's - sheesh it's the first game back - in terrible conditions....

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

loris wrote:
saintly_safes wrote:

Wasn't it a Roads Scholar? Or was it Street Smart?

Either way, Mini is neither.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

I thought Birss had more upside personally.

Its ok to say hes just depth.....but to win a flag....improvement has to come from all levels of the list......if he was a noted disposer or even had Jones dash Id be all for him. As it is hes small, kicks 30m, drifts in/out (not bad hands).

“Yeah….nah””
ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Teflon"]I thought Birss had more upside personally.[/quote]

I agree I preferred Birss but at their standard of play it probably came down to salary cap.
McQ would definitely be on the bare minmum plus match payments whereas Birss probably was on considerably more having been traded from the dogs.

Once someone is on good money it is hard to persuade them that they are only worth the minimum.

Once you promote someone past their level of competence it is hard to get them to take a demotion without it affecting their performance - you either sideline them or sack them, even if they would be good in a lesser job.

McQ seems to have accepted his demotion in terms of pay and lesser job.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA 50:08
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Will we get anywhere with these types of players....

that's the real concern

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

All clubs have "middle of the road" players. No-one can afford 40 superstars. Some players are late bloomers. Some don't bloom at all. That's what list management is all about, but at any one time a team's list will contain players with a mix of ability and age. We're no different to any other team in that respect.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Teflon wrote:I thought Birss had more upside personally.

Its ok to say hes just depth.....but to win a flag....improvement has to come from all levels of the list......if he was a noted disposer or even had Jones dash Id be all for him. As it is hes small, kicks 30m, drifts in/out (not bad hands).
Correct Mr T-T-T-eflon.

We had a handfull of players who didn't cut it in Sept. He was one of them.

RodKeoghsLoveChild
Club Player

Mc Q is an absolute dud. This is his fifth year on our bloody list and you think because he gets what 4 posessions he's suddenly not so bad.

In his 5th year he should be averaging 15-20 touches (tagger or not) and help leading our club, not just clogging up the list. The guy is another Barry Brooks who stays on our list far too long when we could all see he was never any good in the first place.

He is never going to be a footballer period and I wait for anyone on this forum to prove me wrong.

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

RodKeoghsLoveChild wrote:Mc Q is an absolute dud. This is his fifth year on our bloody list and you think because he gets what 4 posessions he's suddenly not so bad.

In his 5th year he should be averaging 15-20 touches (tagger or not) and help leading our club, not just clogging up the list. The guy is another Barry Brooks who stays on our list far too long when we could all see he was never any good in the first place.

He is never going to be a footballer period and I wait for anyone on this forum to prove me wrong.
Not sure anyone on this forum can prove you wrong but mabe AM can.

GrumpyOne

I'd love mini to prove me wrong, but IMO he was a waste of a first round pick. Never will have the body to make it in the AFL, at best he is third-choice midfielder and tagger.

My recommendation: Delist him asap and chance our hand in the next draft, even if the best will be snapped up by the GCFC.