Why is has membership dropped in the last 3 years

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Why is has membership dropped in the last 3 years

I would love to know why people think our membership hasnt improved and actually got worse in tha last 3 years.

Yes I know we have had the level 2 problems this season but that doesnt explain the previous 2 years being poor compared to most other Victorian clubs increasing in the same period.

I think one of the reasons is that we all thought we would win a flag by now and as we havent there are a lot of disappointed fans who just havent bothered to renew their membership.

By the way I do realise we will obviously increase from the figure we have at the moment for the rest of the season but I do believe we will not even get to last years final total.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

well according to the AGM, the last three years have been steadyif you exclude bill express memberships that they so called bought.

when bill express was the major sponsor. they 'bought' 2,300 country memberships in their first year, and 1,300 memberships in their 2nd year. and did not buy memberships in their third year.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The figure show they have dropped so we can use that as an excuse but to me there is much more to it than that.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

cos we didnt get ben cousins....

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

we have idiots working in the membership department, they dont know whats going on.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saintlee
Club Player

Re: Why is has membership dropped in the last 3 years

plugger66 wrote:I would love to know why people think our membership hasnt improved and actually got worse in tha last 3 years.

Yes I know we have had the level 2 problems this season but that doesnt explain the previous 2 years being poor compared to most other Victorian clubs increasing in the same period.

I think one of the reasons is that we all thought we would win a flag by now and as we havent there are a lot of disappointed fans who just havent bothered to renew their membership.

By the way I do realise we will obviously increase from the figure we have at the moment for the rest of the season but I do believe we will not even get to last years final total.
The global finacial crisis would not be helping with membership sales.......but I also think the general lack of belief that saints fans have contributes as well.....basically, I think very few saints fans think we can win the flag, and as such, are happy to vaguely follow the club instead of paying up to be part of the family....

chook23
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The figure show they have dropped so we can use that as an excuse but to me there is much more to it than that.
it is not an excuse......is a known reason in part.

yes agree that some fair weather dropped off....

saint4life
bob__71
Club Player

Backlash after RB sacked his mate GT. Then gave some lame ass interviews etc. Pretty obvious really.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:Backlash after RB sacked his mate GT. Then gave some lame ass interviews etc. Pretty obvious really.
Surely supporters are over that. It was 3 years ago. We must move on from that.

bob__71
Club Player

It just triggered the decline. lost momentum is hard to regain. If Ross and the boys can generate some excitement then we will build again. No magic formula...but under the RB GT era there was a bit of a Rocky underdog type appeal to the club. These days the club is seen as stable and professional. A bit colder, that would tend to not rally the troops as much.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bob__71 wrote:Backlash after RB sacked his mate GT. Then gave some lame ass interviews etc. Pretty obvious really.
Surely supporters are over that. It was 3 years ago. We must move on from that.
Agree. Too far in the past IMO.

My two bobs worth:

(1) Poor marketing - getting rid of David Friend and making him just a consultant was a serious error.

(2) Lack of a premiership after all the expectation (per plugger's thoughts)

(3) "Boring" (read: low scoring) footy in 2007 and first half of 2008

(4) Too many players playing without passion.....dunno if it's a biggie, but the "spirit" of the club at times of the past 2 years has gone missing often, only to be manufactured by Harvey milestones and everything "Harvey" so to speak.

luckysaint
Club Player

They've played boring footy the last couple of years, have fallen behind the competition leaders and have struggled to show that they can bridge the gap.
The lack of a younger generation of players coming through has also been a bit of a turn-off in recent years - however hopefully that will change this year.

bigmicka
Club Player

come on plugger, you are here more than most of us, you would have seen that some people are not over GT.

when it comes to why I don't buy a membership?

I just don't like the way the A.F.L. is run at the moment. Demetriou, Anderson and all the other bumpkins running the show, have lead to my dis-interest.

I choose to spend my money in other ways, Like sponsoring a player through our site.

I still turn up for a few games, bring my own food and drinks. Don't wan't to give the scabs too much.

mic

No one ever built a statue for a critic.
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Some valid points here.

For some reason I just feel we have alot of extremely fickle fair weather supporters. More so than other clubs, and I cant pin point why.

Frankly, it annoys the hell out of me. Where is your passion? Jesus, you can hve it directly debited these days for $14 a month! THATS RIGHT, a measly $14!!!

SOme have a good reason as to why not, but to the fickle sad sacks out there...

Its crap, if your not willing to support the club and get on board, just piss off completely.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

May only play a small part but

Moorabbin / Frankston / Seaford home base process has annoyed

does not effect playing venue but does not take much to turn off AFL at theoment for some....

part of the jigsaw...as to why.

saint4life
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

For me, I won't be taking out a membership (well, I may take one out, but I won't be using it to go to games) because of when games are being played. Too many sunday games means I will have to miss a large chunk.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:For me, I won't be taking out a membership (well, I may take one out, but I won't be using it to go to games) because of when games are being played. Too many sunday games means I will have to miss a large chunk.
I think that this is a major issue that the club needs to work its way through if it has'nt already. Most suburban junior footy is played on Sundays meaning them & their families will not be attending saints games and also meaning that the value of saints membership is diminished !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Otiman wrote:For me, I won't be taking out a membership (well, I may take one out, but I won't be using it to go to games) because of when games are being played. Too many sunday games means I will have to miss a large chunk.
I think that this is a major issue that the club needs to work its way through if it has'nt already. Most suburban junior footy is played on Sundays meaning them & their families will not be attending saints games and also meaning that the value of saints membership is diminished !!
That is true but that wasnt the reason before this year. We have been very successful in the last 5 years compared to most clubs but it isnt showing in the membership department.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

As of the end of last year...

- The club seems to lack ambition and determination. The 'fearlessness' of the club from 2002-5 has gone.
- We're a boring team to watch.
- We have poor skills and play defensive, shut-down footy.
- We're not playing young kids nor do we seem capable of a premiership.
- The club seems to have become a 'closed shop' to fans, media and the community.
- Too many 'fully-ticketed' (read: expensive) matches.

They'd be six reasons which potentially could have caused some unrest.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

older saint
SS Life Member

Some valid points above, and some of the usual pushing a specific issue argument.

That said i think the lack of initiative and offering by the membership department really has seen the offering drop behind other clubs.

I know i always get one, not that i really need it with MCC and other opportnities to attend games but to support the club. Back in 04 or 05 they had additional membership packages which wer great. I remember taking on eup where we had 2 sessions with the coaching staff talking about the season in a frank open forum. Also a before the game visit to the rooms and a after game function was all included. Great experience and i was happy to cough up the extra $ for it.

Dissappeared and all other type offerings. The club to me forgot the supporters(members) and assumed that success would maintain things. Hopefully the loyalty program , which Richmond has had for years , will improve this. Richmond offer gold members ( over 15 years consecutive I think) a cocktail party with the players at crown, full access, no cost to them and my wife goes each year and has a fantatsic night. We need something similar, not just %discount on merchandise to make supporters feel wanted and encourage them to stay members to keep the consecutive years going.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

iwantmeseats wrote:Some valid points here.

Its crap, if your not willing to support the club and get on board, just piss off completely.
?
that's probably how some people feel, very unwelcome.
I have read a lot of comments lately along the lines of "if you dont like it..."
I would say (on a figure of 30,000) StKilda has a pretty solid core of 60% who hand over their money without too much reasoning.
10% more when the season starts, 15% if we do well in the first half of the year to get finals tickets, (although going that way now is next to pointless)
And you probably p'od the remaining "fickle" 15%, who come and go.
Memberships are sold on the basis of hope, the more hope, the more you sell.

Seeya
Solar
Saintsational Legend

I offer up a different view, I think that people, especially younger ones, are so focus upon themselves. What can the sport or club offer them? It's all about them.... me me me.... facebook generation so to speak

people also want outcomes and results NOW. People forget how rewarding being part of something can be and of how fun and engaging the journey is.

money and the way the game i heading are other reasons

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Solar wrote:I offer up a different view, I think that people, especially younger ones, are so focus upon themselves. What can the sport or club offer them? It's all about them.... me me me.... facebook generation so to speak

people also want outcomes and results NOW. People forget how rewarding being part of something can be and of how fun and engaging the journey is.

They would be fair enough reasons if it was happening to all clubs but it isnt. The Hawks had about 40,000 members last season so how does that happen to them but didnt happen to us.

casey scorp
Club Player

Re: Why is has membership dropped in the last 3 years

saintlee wrote: The global finacial crisis would not be helping with membership sales.......but I also think the general lack of belief that saints fans have contributes as well.....basically, I think very few saints fans think we can win the flag, and as such, are happy to vaguely follow the club instead of paying up to be part of the family....
The supercharged global financial situation in the previous 2 years didn't do the opposite - seems a bit unreasonable to claim financial situation having a -ve impact, when it is a continuation of a trend that commenced in a rampantly growing economy.

Bill Express explanations are spin. The figures are the figures.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Solar wrote:I offer up a different view, I think that people, especially younger ones, are so focus upon themselves. What can the sport or club offer them? It's all about them.... me me me.... facebook generation so to speak

They would be fair enough reasons if it was happening to all clubs but it isnt. The Hawks had about 40,000 members last season so how does that happen to them but didnt happen to us.
young teams always get great media and they used this hype very well. It's strange but the media seems tog gush overcrap teams "with potential" over teams that have had some kind of success (see bulldogs and saints finished top 4 but carlton and tigers are the taste of the month).

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith