Do you reckon geelong...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JEANLUCPICARD
Club Player

Do you reckon geelong...

If geelong were in our situation, short break, up against Essendon with a longer break.

Do you think they would have kept the score so close?

I still feel the cats would have won by 10+ goals?

What's the point of this thread? Just a feeling of being put back in our place i suppose.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Re: Do you reckon geelong...

JEANLUCPICARD wrote:If geelong were in our situation, short break, up against Essendon with a longer break.

What's the point of this thread? Just a feeling of being put back in our place i suppose.
You may be right. Lets see if the AFL can orgainse when the Cats play the Dons that the breaks are the same as tonight.

doggerel
Club Player

I reckon a 20 pt win bombers is more admirable (especially after differential in days break) than 20pt win against Richmond (Cats Round 2)

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996
ark
Club Player

Reasonable question for speculation, doesn't deserve that reply..
Unfortunately, still feel Geelong are the benchmark - but that's OK in some ways - it's only R8

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Oh please God let Geelong have an "off" game next Fri night....give the Doggies a sniff :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:Oh please God let Geelong have an "off" game next Fri night....give the Doggies a sniff :-)
Not sure about that. Would love both us and the Cats to be 13 and nil when we play each other and the other thing with a Cats win is we get further ahead of 3rd on the ladder.

sainter2631
Club Player

Its funny how much a week can change things. I went into the game tonight thinking that if we played Geelong this week with our current game plan that we could have won (maybe not by much, but we would have given it a fair crack). 6 hours later and I'm not sure. Then again, as has been mentioned, Richmond got within 20 points and Melbourne were competitive with them for a large portion of time. Not surprisingly the only way to judge St Kilda against Geelong is for them to play each other- which we will see eventually in Round 14.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saint66au wrote:Oh please God let Geelong have an "off" game next Fri night....give the Doggies a sniff :-)
Not sure about that. Would love both us and the Cats to be 13 and nil when we play each other and the other thing with a Cats win is we get further ahead of 3rd on the ladder.
I am not sure the Doggies will be the team to get a sniff though

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

doggerel wrote:I reckon a 20 pt win bombers is more admirable (especially after differential in days break) than 20pt win against Richmond (Cats Round 2)
\

It's funny that. We held the bombers at bay for most of the night,they threatened all night,but couldn't get on top of us. They are flying at the moment. Geelong play an inspid football club and trail in the last quarter but do enough to win.
Why are we not allowed to have a night where we don't smash a side? Do we have to beat everyone by 80+ for the entire season to earn the respect of the critics? you watch ,we'll lose to Carlton or someone and be 11 and 1,but as soon as it happens everyone will say "I told you so,they're no good". F### off

Bring back the Lockett era
widereceiver
Club Player

Seconded, jonesy.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I feel very repetitive, but there are so many threads heading in this direction.

Essendon are the inform team of the comp, they have certainly caught me by surprise. They could just be a smoky. Geelong play them Sunday week, so will be interesting.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

sainter2631 wrote:Its funny how much a week can change things. I went into the game tonight thinking that if we played Geelong this week with our current game plan that we could have won (maybe not by much, but we would have given it a fair crack). 6 hours later and I'm not sure. Then again, as has been mentioned, Richmond got within 20 points and Melbourne were competitive with them for a large portion of time.
yep i'm the same. now, i don't think we will beat geelong.

it probably good for the saintsthis way. the way the papers rwad this morning, you would think the saints lost the game! thats should be a positive from the game!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I must be missing something here?

I really don't see how playing Essendon reflects how we will play Geelong, completely different kind of pressures and game style...

SaintWodonga
Club Player

I think the Bombers would have beaten a lot of teams yesterday. Don't under estimate what an extra 3 days can do to help a team with alreay great leg speed.

So I think our win was much better than the score board.

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
kaos theory
Club Player

If geelong were in our situation, short break, up against Essendon with a longer break.

What's the point of this thread? Just a feeling of being put back in our place i suppose
Don't you think that if we played the tigers the week that the cats played them, that we wouldn't have beaten the tigers by lot more?

The cats only won by about 20 points (at their home ground), that week. Yet we make the excuse that they had 'control' of the game, just crusing...

Teams have ups & downs. Having 3 extra days to rest & prep is a BIG factor. And judging us v. the cats after the results of one game doesn't say much either way.......

HarveysDeciple

Lol.

People make me laugh.

We play awesome footy for 7 weeks, footy that would beat anybody.

All of a sudden we come up against the competitions giant killers, a much improved Essendon who have 3 days longer to rest up (and who's main strength is leg speed).
Yet we hold them off for 3 quarters and again restrict them to 10 goals.

The Cats should have lost to Richmond in Round 2, that was a poorer performance then ours was last night.
They also cruised home by about 6 goals against Melbourne.....

Are people suggesting they have been awesome every week lol.

Remember Rossy, the saints need to win by 10 goals every week or their not good enough :roll:

Some people have absolutely no effing idea how football works and would find a negative in a 25 goal grand final win.

saint1974
Club Player

A win is a win quie happy to take the 4 points coming off a much shorter break.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Essendon are the inform team of the comp, they have certainly caught me by surprise. They could just be a smoky. Geelong play them Sunday week, so will be interesting.
Exactly, let's see how Geelong handle Essendon.

Even then, I wouldn't jump to any conclusions... unless the Cats gave them a thrashing.

Marcus1232
Club Player

Well if this is peoples idea of a failure im quite happy to keep failing every week :lol:

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

It's good to see this forum finally grow up and realise that mediocrity is for mediocre people.

We didn't play well yesterday, but we did enough against an impressive and attacking team on a short break.

We kept our winning streak intact and now we have a great run of matches leading into our showdown with Geelong. There's a real chance we'll drop no more than one of those matches. Hopefully none.

Either way, whilst yesterday wasn't great, a win is a win, is a win, is a win. And to re-phrase Greg Baum this morning, the Bombers still lost.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

HarveysDeciple wrote:Lol.

People make me laugh.

We play awesome footy for 7 weeks, footy that would beat anybody.

All of a sudden we come up against the competitions giant killers, a much improved Essendon who have 3 days longer to rest up (and who's main strength is leg speed).
Yet we hold them off for 3 quarters and again restrict them to 10 goals.

The Cats should have lost to Richmond in Round 2, that was a poorer performance then ours was last night.
They also cruised home by about 6 goals against Melbourne.....

Are people suggesting they have been awesome every week lol.

Remember Rossy, the saints need to win by 10 goals every week or their not good enough :roll:

Some people have absolutely no effing idea how football works and would find a negative in a 25 goal grand final win.
True.

Our output was considerably down last night compared to the month prior. Just ran out of legs early in the second in my opinion. I cannot discount the extra three days that Essendon had....at all.

If it was Geelong we were playing under the same circumstances last night, they would have given us an almighty flogging.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I'm not sure why people think Geelong are as quick as Essendon!!?? Geelong are no quicker than us. It's horses for courses. If we played Geelong last night it would of been a totally different game! For one they wouldn't have exploited us for pace,as they are no quicker than us. This is Essendons strength, and us coming off a short week,they still couldn't beat us

Bring back the Lockett era
Behind Play
Club Player

Geelong had an off night last season and were beaten, by the filth , by 10 goals. We didn't play to our full potential yesterday but still won. Why is it we must win by 10 goals every week. The sign of a good side was shown yesterday, didn't play to a great game but still got over the line by 19 points....not much more a team can do.

Geelong are still the bench mark for obvious reasons but we have truly closed the gap.

May be they have an off day when we play them.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

sainter2631 wrote:Then again, as has been mentioned, Richmond got within 20 points and Melbourne were competitive with them for a large portion of time.
i reckon richmond and melbourne will be competitive with a lot of sides. not because they're any good, but because it's basically impossible to be fully motivated to take on the worst two sides in the comp.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

I just checked the fixture.

Geelong get a 9-day break going into round 10 against Essendon, who get an 8-day break. I wouldn't take any negatives out of the result... who knows - the Bombers might give them an even bigger scare?