Beating North Melbourne...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Beating North Melbourne...

By apparent lack of interest in anything other than Geelong and, to a lesser degree, Carlton, I'm assuming many of you think we should just turn up at 2.10 Saturday, collect the four points, then drive back to Moorabbin for a few frosties...

But seriously... North are a proud club. They'll have a crack.

What do we need to focus on to win?

Sainterone
Club Player

Seriously, just turn up - they are a rabble...

18 on the park - 4 on the pine - that should do it.

boost the percentage... :D

(that's what I say to the boss at work anyway) :lol:
Last edited by Sainterone on Tue 02 Jun 2009 8:18pm, edited 1 time in total.

GO SAINTS

NICK RIEWOLDT - 444 GOALS FROM 200 MATCHES
STEPHEN MILNE - 440 GOALS FROM 216 MATCHES
F_Q_F
Club Player

Good ball use, pressure on their midfield.

Basically all the same things we have been doing in the past few weeks but just a bit more pressure on the scoreboard.

Have only seen the Roos a few times on TV, who are their players we need to shut down? Wells?

Hale is a tough match up playing forward. Have to make sure theres always a defender dropping back to help out whoever he is on. Petrie is playing alright and they have a few crumbers that are handy around the forward 50.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Not sure we have match up for Hale (Gilbo I suppose can play tall), so a) starve him of pill b) slow up supply.

Raph gets his chance to rebound?

Wells could be anything but usually isn't. Maybe CJ or would he be better utilised on one of their more prolific and less charismatic ball getters?

hAyES
Club Player

We need to play better than we have been playing IMO. For some reason we think we can just turn it on for a quarter and win and sooner or later it's going to bite us in the ***. Keep the intensity and pressure up and we should win comfortably.

Another thing we need to do is get our goal-kicking accuracy back up. The last few weeks it's started to get a bit worse and it's something else that could come back to bite us.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

actually their small forwards will worry us ... good skills, speed and excellent pressure ... key will be to win midfield clearances and zone and pressure to ensure slow movement when they try to transition out of defense ... if they get run ot own the corridor ... we will be troubled

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
SaintDebi
Club Player

Sainterone wrote:Seriously, just turn up - they are a rabble...

18 on the park - 4 on the pine - that should do it.

boost the percentage... :D

(that's what I say to the boss at work anyway) :lol:
Love your confidence, Sainterone and I hope you are right, but I really hope our playing group doesn't think like that, 'cos thats when we're gonna start dropping games.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

i have jokes with mates at school about how much we will win by.
a good one today was
"do you think ross lyon will even turn up to this game? he could probably just sleep in and coach from home or something, he could save petrol money by not going" :D

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
older saint
SS Life Member

North will be competitive and if we do not put them away they will hang around

CJ to Wells -has been ok last few weeks but still fails to work hard off the tag. If heplays Half back make him pick up McQ and send him deep.

Dawson on Edwards if deep if not Hale
IF edwards up the ground S Fisher
Blake on Petrie as has the motor to go with him.
Gilbert ( if fit) on Warren who was good last week.

Baker on Thompson

Need to hit targets and kick straight. Isolate Gibson on Kosi. They will struggle for match up with Roo. Pressure they will turn the ball over

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

The Shinboners are never easy, but we should all be quietly confident this week.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Havn't known what to expect at the last few north games.....

The week our board was going haywire about 2007 i thought we would really respond, but we played one of the worst games I have ever seen (against expectation).

Last year's game was a bit mixed - didn't click until half way through.

Richter
SS Life Member

older saint wrote:North will be competitive and if we do not put them away they will hang around

CJ to Wells -has been ok last few weeks but still fails to work hard off the tag. If heplays Half back make him pick up McQ and send him deep.

Dawson on Edwards if deep if not Hale
IF edwards up the ground S Fisher
Blake on Petrie as has the motor to go with him.
Gilbert ( if fit) on Warren who was good last week.

Baker on Thompson

Need to hit targets and kick straight. Isolate Gibson on Kosi. They will struggle for match up with Roo. Pressure they will turn the ball over
Good post. I'd add in McQ to Simpson.

Also I think Baker will probably pick up Thomas who can be dangerous.

I'd expect them to use Gibson - who played well last week on Brown and the week before on Pavlich - on Riewoldt rather than Kosi. Be an interesting match-up!

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Beekay
SS Life Member

saintdooley wrote:i have jokes with mates at school about how much we will win by.
a good one today was
"do you think ross lyon will even turn up to this game? he could probably just sleep in and coach from home or something, he could save petrol money by not going" :D
That's.... reaaaaaaaaaaally lame. Do you have much luck with the girls, dools?

midas_touch
Club Player

saintdooley wrote:i have jokes with mates at school about how much we will win by.
a good one today was
Sounds like a joke a year 7 would make

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

sorry i didnt make the joke. but as a few of you would know, my sense of humour is very bad, and i found that so funny. :lol:
i find a lot of things funny, such as: people falling over, teachers dropping their markers, someone opening up their locker to find yesterdays banana i chucked in there while they were not looking, the "why did the chicken cross the road, to get to the other side" always makes me laugh because its so bad, someone not getting their drink at the vending machine even when they pay for it....the list just never ends. :D

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:sorry i didnt make the joke. but as a few of you would know, my sense of humour is very bad, and i found that so funny. :lol:
i find a lot of things funny, such as: people falling over, teachers dropping their markers, someone opening up their locker to find yesterdays banana i chucked in there while they were not looking, the "why did the chicken cross the road, to get to the other side" always makes me laugh because its so bad, someone not getting their drink at the vending machine even when they pay for it....the list just never ends. :D

small things amuse small minds ffs......grow up..... :roll:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I will get back to the OP....

Of course you cannot ride off North easily, kids are capable of being poor one week and great the next. Mcintosh is not a bad ruckman, and we will be one down which may upset the balance slightly this week. I agree that Gibson, Petrie and Simpson are all in good form, and will need to have considered matchups. Hale is inconsistent, more of a confidence player...perhaps Dawson who has proven he can spoil tall?

I will be going along with a degree of confidence, but I won't say I think they are easybeats....

stinger
Saintsational Legend

they think they are in with a chance...

"

Roos set to 'scrap' against St Kilda
18:02 AEST Tue Jun 2 2009

Latest AFL:

North Melbourne veteran Adam Simpson says the Kangaroos cannot afford to seek the perfect play if they are to break St Kilda's perfect AFL start at Etihad Stadium on Saturday.

Simpson said the Roos too often over-cooked passages of play by looking for the best option instead of the quickest last Saturday against the Brisbane Lions.

Coach Dean Laidley highlighted the trend after the defeat, and a repeat would give the Kangaroos little chance of toppling the unbeaten Saints, who have taken their game to a new level through the constant pressure they apply across the ground.

Simpson said the Saints and Geelong, who are four wins clear of the chasing pack, were experts at applying "perceived pressure".

"Even when there's no-one around, you feel like there is," he said on Tuesday.

"Especially with younger teams, you tend to panic a little bit.

"Even the older blokes do that a little bit as well.

"When you're playing Geelong - we played them a month ago - sometimes you're clear but you just think 'Geez, I've got to get rid of this otherwise I'm going to get run down or pinged'.

"At the moment from what I can see with St Kilda, they're exactly the same.

"The perceived pressure around the ball and all over the ground is that high that sometimes it forces teams to make decisions that they wouldn't normally make."

Simpson said North would be best advised to move the ball quickly to their strong-marking forwards.

"Trying to create the perfect play against A-grade teams just doesn't work that way," he said.

"If we're going to win on the weekend it's going to have to be a scrap."

Simpson conceded beating St Kilda would be a massive challenge for a side in 12th spot with a 4-6 record, but he took comfort from the laws of probability.

"They're due (to lose)," he said.

"They've been up for a long time and their confidence is pretty high.

"But they've lost a key ruckman (Michael Gardiner to suspension) and we're not going in thinking we're going to lose."

Forward Matt Campbell and defenders Daniel Pratt and Lachlan Hansen are pushing for recalls this week to ease the pressure on the backline.

Like Laidley, Simpson has been excited at North playing so many youngsters in 2009, although he felt the club's rebuilding policy could go a long way determining his own future.

The 33-year-old said he had been surprised at how good his form had been of late - he collected 37 disposals against the Lions - but was unsure whether he could extend that into a 16th season.

"Tough one with that," he said ahead of game No.299.

"If the season finished today I'd say yes.

"But it (form) can fall away pretty quickly, but at the same time the body's feeling really good and the attitude's really good.

"It will probably depend on how the club is as well, what they're doing with the

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
vacuous space
SS Life Member

"They're due (to lose)," [Simpson] said.
And this coin I keep flipping is bound to come up tails eventually. The odds of a football game aren't 50/50, so unless North really take it to us, or we have a lapse in our performance, I would respectfully disagree with Adam's assessment.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I think we should beat them comfortably. They'll have a dip that's for sure,but they don't have enough guns to beat us..unless we play like utter rich teenagers. I reckon it will be a similar scenario to last week
I wouldn't mind another go through the motions win like the GC game. Save the batteries for the scum the week after,I really want to keep the 8 year streak going

Bring back the Lockett era
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Hmm, with this kind of talk it makes me suspicious....why would they want to motivate us in anyway?

They will likely have a few surprising late withdrawals like against Geelong, have one of their youngest lists on the park and put in a brave effort, and have an honourable loss.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Music to my[ and I'd imagine Ross Lyons]ears!!!

" They are due to lose " acording to Adam Simpson.

Was a little concerned about this game but a little less now that north have thrown that little cracker into the fire :x

Our motivation has just been handed to us on a silver platter...

Thanks to Laidley and his mouth piece .

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Griggsy
SS Life Member

If we control the midfield the game should be a breeze, made a bit more difficult with Gards out but i have faith. If not we should hurt them on the rebound out of defence. Hopefully straight up the guts, didnt see much of that in the Melbourne game.

Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Keep Wells down and out.
Isolate our big men, Gibson is good on the lead (as a defender) but nothing spectacular, can't see him taking Roo or Kosi to any effect.
Watch out for their small forwards.

Carpe Diem
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Looking at results against North Melbourne since 2005 a few players namely Shannon Grant, Corey Jones, Brent Harvey & Jess Sinclair have given us a bit of trouble

Great thing is none of them are playing

As mentioned in a previous post their small forwards might give us a few headaches namely Matt Campbell if he gets a recall however I expect to win comfortably as they will have trouble containing our midfield and forwards

If we can improve our accuracy at goal a 10+ goal win could be on the cards :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!