Will Lyon's stubbornness stop the Saints winning the flag?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Nick
Club Player

Will Lyon's stubbornness stop the Saints winning the flag?

If he doesn't take advantage of our position and rotate/manage our players, then he is a fool. For crying out loud, we're not asking him to rest half the team. Just use common sense.

The suspension of Kingy was the best thing that could have happened. He will come back fresh for the last part of the year plus finals and it's given McEvoy 4 bonus games to gain experience. On that basis it might be a good idea if Blake gets suspended this week so Maguire can get a game. :roll: :roll: :roll:

No signature
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Oh, give it a rest (boom tish).

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

If he is a fool then how come the team is undefeated?

Another opportunity awaits!
marksnsparks
Club Player

You're the fool Nick. We need to guarantee a top 2 spot before we even think about resting players. We are not at that point yet!

Nick
Club Player

Moccha wrote:If he is a fool then how come the team is undefeated?
I didn't say he was a fool.

No signature
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Nick wrote:
Moccha wrote:If he is a fool then how come the team is undefeated?
I didn't say he was a fool.
You kind of implied it here:

"If he doesn't take advantage of our position and rotate/manage our players, then he is a fool."
Last edited by degruch on Fri 10 Jul 2009 3:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

marksnsparks wrote:You're the fool Nick. We need to guarantee a top 2 spot before we even think about resting players. We are not at that point yet!
Agree Nick is the fool... but we do need to Guarantee TOP spot not just top two, remembering that the top side plays in the Friday night prelim final where second plays the Saturday night prelim final. This means an extra day's recovery before the grand final for the top team. Well worth fighting for dont you think??

saintly
Saintsational Legend

ablett and varcoe are out of the brisbane match! Brisbane will pounce on this and defeat the pussie cats. would you want to do this ?

marksnsparks
Club Player

Hey Nick, I've just read another thread started by you on the same subject.

You know the definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over again expecting a different result??

We don't agree with you. Period.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

marksnsparks wrote:Hey Nick, I've just read another thread started by you on the same subject.

You know the definition of insanity is repeating the same action over and over again expecting a different result??

We don't agree with you. Period.
Surely you know the best way to make your opinion fact is to post it over and over and over and over...

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Sydney went through the 2005 season using 25 players for the year.

Paul Roos = fool :lol:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Sydney went through the 2005 season using 25 players for the year.

And Lyon was watching pretty closely I suspect...

Nick
Club Player

Please comment on the below statement which I have copied and pasted from my original post.....

The suspension of Kingy was the best thing that could have happened. He will come back fresh for the last part of the year plus finals and it's given McEvoy 4 bonus games to gain experience

No signature
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

He was a fool. They would have won by 10 goals if he rested players. It is obvious really.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Nick wrote:Please comment on the below statement which I have copied and pasted from my original post.....

The suspension of Kingy was the best thing that could have happened. He will come back fresh for the last part of the year plus finals and it's given McEvoy 4 bonus games to gain experience
That hurts my eyes...stop it.

Nick
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:

He was a fool. They would have won by 10 goals if he rested players. It is obvious really.
I'm trying to have a discussion here.

No signature
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Nick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Well it aint a good one. Our coach has us at 14 wins. He sees the players every day. They do certain tests to see their fitness levels but you know more than him. It is illogical for you to even think you know 1% about how the players feel.

Nick
Club Player

Hey Mods,

If you are there, please lock this thread because it seems to me that nobody here is able to have a decent discussion.

Thread closed.

No signature
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Nick - I actually reckon we've been quite conservative with our njury management this year. When Kosi experienced hammy tightness, he rested the game out and took the next week. See what happened when Cousins didn't do the same in 1st round? Gilberts ankle the same. Milney missed a couple with a knee. If they're injured they don't play. What makes you think that the players are mentally tired? I certainly didn't see that last week. I saw 22 blokes raring to go. They have systems in place to predict injuries from what I've read, and with Missions' record at the Swans, I have complete confidence that our injury management is 1st class.

Blokes have had niggly injuries and been rested. They have generally come straight back into the team though. The bug bear appears to be with some, that Lyon hasn't tested our list enough. I say play our strongest 22 each week, particularly as we are gunning for a flag. List experimentation if for the last 6 rounds when you have no hope of making the finals

Joffa 5
Club Player

Nick wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

Do you have a qualification in sports science, physiotherapy, injury prevention/management? What makes you so sure a rest will be of an advantage? If the mid week training sessions are tailored to prevent fatigue, I'm not sure we need to rest players.

But I don't have any of the above qualifications so I'll trust the people who do.

saintlee
Club Player

Moods wrote:Blokes have had niggly injuries and been rested. They have generally come straight back into the team though. The bug bear appears to be with some, that Lyon hasn't tested our list enough. I say play our strongest 22 each week, particularly as we are gunning for a flag. List experimentation if for the last 6 rounds when you have no hope of making the finals
I was just about to say this, you beat me to it.......Nick, here is your answer.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Nick wrote:Hey Mods,

If you are there, please lock this thread because it seems to me that nobody here is able to have a decent discussion.

Thread closed.
Well, you started it.

mick13
Club Player

There's a right way and a wrong way to go about starting and debating a discussion/point or theory.

You did it the wrong way.

It has merit, but you can't come in and call the coach a fool if he doesn't, and making two topics on the same thing is just going to annoy people.

Nick
Club Player

Moods wrote:Nick - I actually reckon we've been quite conservative with our njury management this year. When Kosi experienced hammy tightness, he rested the game out and took the next week. See what happened when Cousins didn't do the same in 1st round? Gilberts ankle the same. Milney missed a couple with a knee. If they're injured they don't play. What makes you think that the players are mentally tired? I certainly didn't see that last week. I saw 22 blokes raring to go. They have systems in place to predict injuries from what I've read, and with Missions' record at the Swans, I have complete confidence that our injury management is 1st class.

Blokes have had niggly injuries and been rested. They have generally come straight back into the team though. The bug bear appears to be with some, that Lyon hasn't tested our list enough. I say play our strongest 22 each week, particularly as we are gunning for a flag. List experimentation if for the last 6 rounds when you have no hope of making the finals
Good post!!!

No signature
vacuous space
SS Life Member

Moods wrote:List experimentation if for the last 6 rounds when you have no hope of making the finals
I wouldn't be against resting sore bodies in the last couple of weeks if we have top spot sewn up. I'm totally against the idea when we have 14 wins and have locked up little more than a finals spot.

Yeah nah pleasing positive