Should we rest six or blame injuries? No and yes.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Should we rest six or blame injuries? No and yes.

One of the great moronic lines of those who write or talk about our game is that injures cannot be used to excuse defeats. So often we have heard it trotted out by scribes and commentators, and for that matter, team officials. One suspects that team officials, at least, are only doing it so that they don't appear to be making excuses, however valid they might be. But, as I said, it has always been a moronic proposition. The whole point of getting a team with the best players is to get a team with the best players.

And so, we come to the almost equally moronic call this week "to rest" players. Nothing could be more calculated to adversely effect both the morale and the playing future of a team than to adopt this approach. Anyone who watched Geelong play tonight will know that A) in resting players they have destroyed any chance of winning this year's premiership or B) if their players are injured, they can't win with so many injures.

Of course, proposition A would signify the height of arrogance. Proposition B, which I lean to, indicates what we already know.

From here on end, the team that wins the flag will be the one that plays well enough to finish in the top four and then has the luck with injuries in the last 4 weeks of September.
Last edited by perfectionist on Sun 12 Jul 2009 4:57am, edited 1 time in total.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

I really don't think Geelong rested anyone. They fielded the best side they had, after we smashed the crap out of 'em. Fingers crossed it doesn't affect us tomorrow.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

I find it interesting that people on here actually want us to rest 6 players.... don't they realise that developing a team relies on having the majority of the team being similar... one of the big reasons the cats trust each other so much, so many games playing together.

Next weeks games for geelong will be interesting... sometimes it takes years to create an aura and only weeks to tear it down... remember how long it has taken the lions to even look like a finals team again and they were the best team I have seen since the hawks of the 80's.......

geelong bleeds.... they are hurting and will not be looking forward to playing us again IMO

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
chook23
Saintsational Legend

one person solar

saint4life
Solar
Saintsational Legend

nearly an hour after the game and mark "worst loser in the game" Thompson has yet to face the media..... the guy is a disgrace!

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Re: Should we rest six or blame injuries? No and yes.

perfectionist wrote:One of the great moronic lines of those who write or talk about our game is that injures cannot be used to excuse defeats. So often we have heard it trotted out by scribes and commentators, and for that matter, team officials. One suspects that team officials, at least, are only doing it so that they don't appear to be making excuses, however valid they might be. But, as I said, it has always been a moronic proposition. The whole point of getting a team with the best players is to get a team with the best players.

And so, we come to the almost equally moronic call this week "to rest" players. Nothing could be more calculated to adversely effect both the morale and the playing future of a team than to adopt this approach. Anyone who watched Geelong play tonight we know that A) in resting players they have destroyed any chance of winning this year's premiership or B) if their are players are injured, they can't win with so many injures.

Of course, proposition A would signify the height of arrogance. Proposition B, which I lean to, indicates what we already know.

From here on end, the team that wins the flag will be the one that plays well enough to finish in the top four and then has the luck with injuries in the last 4 weeks of September.
Well said, the thought of a side "resting players" is moronic.

If the player(s) is genuinely sore or is carrying some injury that will either cause further damage or be a hindrance to the side fair enough.

It only leaves the rest of the better 22 fighting to win a match to be exposed to injuries because they have to cover for players that are not used to the tempo or match play.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Hopefully Melbourne smash them next week

asiu

.......players that are not used to the tempo or match play.
thats the thing fid , for long term gain

aren't we being smart 'easing' a number of players into a winning side at a moment of our choosing

or when we are forced to (a situation that will happen at some stage in the future)

i dont know about the right or wrongs of it , and basically dont wanna be moronic ....but ....surely .....travel , bigger ground , temperature, fresh legs and minds , blockbuster letdown , niggling injuries , oppurtunity ...make this week a little unique

personally, i have no probs that kingy has been on holiday ...works perfectly for us ...

has rounded the squad out a bit imo

BakesFan
SS Life Member

To rest or not to rest?
It's unchartered waters for The Saints.
Undefeated after 14 Rounds and practically zero injuries.
A win today puts us 2 games clear of second and 5 :shock: games clear of 3rd. (effectively 3 games and 6 games if you count percentage)

For me, it's got to be about list management frome this point on. We've got to do everything we can to ensure we get our best possible team into the Finals.. The Saints have nothing to prove from this point other than winning The Premiership.

So? Do we rest a few stars against The Doggies and The Pies?? Losses in those games wouldn't mean anything...and we wouldn't be giving anything away.
Do we rest as many as possible against Melbourne in Round 22, effectively giving us a two week break going into the 1st week of Finals?

Too many permutations for me.
Ross and his staff have done everything right, up to this point.
I'll simply trust them to continue their good work; and I'll just enjoy watching my beloved Saints.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

In 2005, Sydney, a team that relied on a team-oriented relentlessly hard work ethic rested no one and played 25players for the year...

I say DON'T REST 'TIL IT'S DONE !

older saint
SS Life Member

Dont Rest anyone but IF guys have niggles or sore and COULD play but WILL benefit more from a week off then give them a week off.

Hope Eddy plays today he has worked hard to gat back in

Moods
Saintsational Legend

THought the better, more experienced cats players tonight looked sore, ie Selwood, Corey, Chapman. They still played well, but just appeared a little lethargic. Hope our blokes aren't as sore today.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

In Ross we trust. He's been there before as the assistant at Sydney, so it's hardly uncharted waters. The way team selection has been conducted and managed this year is one of the main reasons the team is where it is. If it ain't broke..........

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!