How does it feel...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

yipper
SS Life Member

How does it feel...

to have your beloved team as the best team in the country?? That our StKilda is the best team in Australia and are breaking records left right and centre!! That we are outright favourites for the flag - that most footy experts cannot see us being beaten at all.

I ask this because there are stll saints fans sitting in reserved seats around us who seem to be stuck in a time zone from the 80's!!! Despite the sheer power, brilliance and composure of this StKilda team - they are waiting for things to go wrong, disproportionately critical of every little mistake - ready to throw their hands up in frustration and indeed boo what they perceive to be poor play rather than actually marvel at how we dismantle opposition teams seemingly at whim!! That opponents are fearful of our team is just ignored by these ppl. They applaud in disbelief sometimes like it is not normal to see StKilda like this!!

Fact is we have been a very good footy team for some years now - we have taken it up to another level this year for sure, but they all seem uncomfortable with being a power in the AFL!!??

How are you all coping with this new era of power and strength and stability and being held in awe by your opponents.

Me?? I am loving it. I am relaxed when I watch them play, because I know our boys have another gear to go up to when we need it. I know we have depth, I know we can beat anybody. I know we are almost certainly going to play in the grand final this year - I also know we could well win it. This is all just exciting and so very acceptable to me.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Surreal

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

i AM REALLY LOVING IT :D , and makes coming to work on mondays easier, but I still find it hard to believe we have a team that is so impressive and a coach that appears to be a super coach. I can undrstand ppl who went thru the 80`s being a bit doubtful, but I think this will be a premiership team soon. Saturday convinced me

I love this club
asiu

I am relaxed when I watch them play, because I know our boys have another gear to go up to when we need it.
true emotional fulfillment is at hand

not just another gear but another 2 years

09 is the time ...yee ha

Russman
Club Player

Bloody fantastic. :D
The only thing is , I've forgotten what it feels like to lose. It will happen one day , but I don't know how I will react. (as long as it's not the GF. I was shattered and flat for days after the 97 gf)
Which is a weird feeling since I went to all the Moorabbin games in the 80s.

Do , or Do not , There is no try.
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Its been a great season so far.

Needs a flag though or it is gonna hurt like hell.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

How does it feel

September action, this will be the toughest and longest journey of all!
I am more than happy to be minor premiers (At THIS stage! :wink: ) but it is going to be a bit hollow if we don't maintain the form right through to the ultimate game!
I'm taking NOTHING for granted, but looking forward to the struggle!!!!!!

Cool heads, strong nerve, (and HARD at the ball!) will see us right!

GOSAINTSGOSAINTSGOSAINTSGOSAINTSGOSAINTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
BakesFan
SS Life Member

It feels... 'DESERVED'.... after almost 43 years of continued Faith :D :D

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
Banger2Plugger
Club Player

Clear see throu tupperware lid is STILL on!!!!!
I refuse to pinch myself to wake up and find myself back to the days when Malcolm Blight was the StKilda coach using a mobile phone from the Metropolitan Golf Course - or much worst, waking up and finding Tim Watson is still the coach!
I do not want to wake up - so I will sleep and continue to dream about this unbroken run, that no one can defeat us - until 20mins into the last quarter of the Grand Final and we are 10 goals up - then I will wake up - shout out from the MCG, expire all the air from my lungs and then fill up on liquid amber until I can fit in no more!!
I'm dreaming, and I am going to hold onto it for as long as I can thankyou very much!!!!!!

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

It feels like I am holding my breath until GF day.
As one of those whose youth was misspent on the terraces at Moorabbin in the 80's, where cold and rain were the highlights of the day as we routinely flogged, I am convinced that we are the best team. But I also know that we have seen glimpses of the promised land a number of times in the past 20 years, only to have the door slammed in our face as we came to the threshhold.
The only ones that could stop us in 91 were Geelong, and we ran into them in a crappy finals system in the first week, and even then they had to go the knuckle in the first quarter and leave us depleted for most of the day, before just getting over us.
In 97 everything that could go wrong for us in the lead up did, injuries in the final H&A round, injuries to both key rucks within minutes of each other, Cuz's Dad , Buckets private issue, just everything went against us, and we held on anyway until 3/4 time. I cried when we lost.
Everyone here would remember that Guerra needed to be 4" taller and we could have got past PA in 2004. In 2005, the further it went, the more fit bodies we lost until we simply ran out of fit bodies.

This year I declared after round 5 or so that everything seemed to be going our way for a change (injuries, suspensions, reports, opposition injuries etc) and it has just kept going - it FEELS like its time. For the first time this year I have actually made plans in advance to be at my first grand final, should we be there.
If we win , I will cry.

Then I will get blotto for a very long time, and be sick over anybody that will listen.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
TimPekin'sDirtyGuernsey
Club Player

It's been just absolutely magnificent!

Most of my mates don't bother trotting out the "you're going to fall over" line anymore. I think that means respect!

We're just taking it one smashing at a time!!!

yipper
SS Life Member

I guess the point to this thread is that the complete transformation of our beloved StKilda Footy Club is almost complete.
Our cheersquad, with all due respects, just used to come along to the footy for the day out I reckon!! Now they are having to actually cheer - constantly, and wave their floggers and flags every couple of minutes!! It is obviously a lot harder work than they have been accustomed to!! The arrogance of being good is slowly creeping into the club's psyche. It is - especially after Saturday - the realisation that, yep, we can and more than likely will win the premiership!! Is that just to much to handle for us long-suffering fans. Our family discussion already started on what we will do on Grand Final day!! This is indeed surreal. All those treks to Moorabbin during the 80's for me are now - just fading memories of a StKilda team I once knew!! They weren't any good at all, but we loved them still. Now I am following the most frighteningly powerful StKilda team I have ever seen, and I look around and see fellow sainters behaving like we still have Mordi Bromberg or Russell Tweeddale or Gordon Fode running around and we are waiting for the ievitable lapse into the same old. It won't happen - this is not a dream. We are the best team in australia and we havent been beaten by anyone at all this year.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

tough on Tweeddale ... was a handy flanker

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Loving it.......

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

bigred wrote:Its been a great season so far.

Needs a flag though or it is gonna hurt like hell.
My sentiments to a tee Red :shock:

New territory where nothing but a flag will do but even this battered old pessimist is sure we have what it takes this year...

Someone is going to play bloody well to take this opportunity away from us this year 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

I'm loving it, but I feel what all Saints supporters are feeling now - the feeling that it all counts for absolutely nothing unless we win the flag. Be realistic guys, its good to get up but being St Kilda supporters we have seen too often that we get let down. Thats why there's this degree of skepticism.

I have the grand feeling that this may be the year however it only takes one mistake to dismantle a whole season.

We all are very nervous at the prospect of it all going wrong.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I think for some people the only tonic for their affliction will be a flag.

Don't be too hard on the doubters, after all, there's been a hell of a lot of let downs over the years.

I don't think anyone can believe the position the boys have got us into now & all we can do is just enjoy the ride & hope like hell we can ride it through to the promised land.