The weight of the streak has lifted

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Darrel Baldock
Club Player

The weight of the streak has lifted

Am I just a little relieved we don't have the weight of the streak hanging over our heads any more, or am I just trying to rationalise away a loss?

Ian Cooper was too thin
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's a difficult one to answer, as Roo's shoulders probably aren't feeling much lighter. I don't think it was a healthy loss, the circumstances were not ideal....

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Both. I'm pissed off that we lost just like everyone else, but I'd much prefer a Grand Final victory, any day over 22 zip!

Another opportunity awaits!
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Personally I think this loss could be a positive longterm...

The taste of defeat is always bitter but I think the benefits will be not having the streak as a distraction[would have felt uneasy going into the finals or a grand final underfeated :shock: ] and reinforcing to the players that they must apply the sort of intensity we have seen for 19 weeks for 4 quarters and not one!

A good timely reality check before the real stuff kicks off in 3 weeks.

CJ and Mini will be welcome additions as Lyon and his assistants will start to lock in the final 22 in the next 2 weeks.

Think you will see a far more committed team this week against North 8-)

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
mullet
Saintsational Legend

Re: The weight of the streak has lifted

Darrel Baldock wrote:Am I just a little relieved we don't have the weight of the streak hanging over our heads any more, or am I just trying to rationalise away a loss?
We always try to rationalise a loss, that's footy :D

I guess we all feel a little flat cos we were on the verge of breaking records etc but its been posted here a million times the only thing that matters is winning the granny. I think Ross and the boys will learn from yesterday. Make no mistake a good side comes back from 43 points down. If this had been stkilda of last year or year before we would not have come back.

Dont worry in a few days we will all be focused on next weekend, the papers arent writing us off

Records really mean nothing, just ask Tyson Gay. Broke the world record in the 100m but still came second, bolt ran faster

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

Moccha wrote:Both. I'm pissed off that we lost just like everyone else, but I'd much prefer a Grand Final victory, any day over 22 zip!
I don't think anyone at all would have wanted 22-0 over a flag, but the point is we had a golden opportunity to go through the whole season undefeated (home and away AND finals). They were not mutually exclusive. We could have done both. This was something that has never been done in VFL/AFL before. And we may miss out by 2 points.
It could have been talked about/referred to, for the next 100 years. To say that that meant "nothing", would have been akin to Sir Edmund Hilary saying "damn it, I climbed Mt Everest, when I was only aiming to get 3/4 of the way".
Going through 25-0 (Premiership included), would have been a significantly better outcome than going through 24-1, or 25-2, etc. Unless you reckon losing is preferable to winning.
I just reckon they lacked the guts to go for both. I believe they would have done it, had they set their minds on it. If they could win against Hawthorn, without probably our 7 best players, they could have gone through without a loss (flag included).

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
Sainterman
Club Player

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:
Moccha wrote:Both. I'm pissed off that we lost just like everyone else, but I'd much prefer a Grand Final victory, any day over 22 zip!
I don't think anyone at all would have wanted 22-0 over a flag, but the point is we had a golden opportunity to go through the whole season undefeated (home and away AND finals). They were not mutually exclusive. We could have done both. This was something that has never been done in VFL/AFL before. And we may miss out by 2 points.
It could have been talked about/referred to, for the next 100 years. To say that that meant "nothing", would have been akin to Sir Edmund Hilary saying "damn it, I climbed Mt Everest, when I was only aiming to get 3/4 of the way".
Going through 25-0 (Premiership included), would have been a significantly better outcome than going through 24-1, or 25-2, etc. Unless you reckon losing is preferable to winning.
I just reckon they lacked the guts to go for both. I believe they would have done it, had they set their minds on it. If they could win against Hawthorn, without probably our 7 best players, they could have gone through without a loss (flag included).
Significantly better?? Geez, if we were to win the flag I couldn't give a dam about any streak! Would be a nice cherry on top, but it si all about premierships in the end...I for one will not be lamenting Rd 20 if we win the big one.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:It's a difficult one to answer, as Roo's shoulders probably aren't feeling much lighter. I don't think it was a healthy loss, the circumstances were not ideal....
Roo is a true champion. Instead of affecting him negatively, this will make him drive himself harder. Can't wait to see how our team responds next week. Especially Roo!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
mullet
Saintsational Legend

saint75 wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:It's a difficult one to answer, as Roo's shoulders probably aren't feeling much lighter. I don't think it was a healthy loss, the circumstances were not ideal....
Roo is a true champion. Instead of affecting him negatively, this will make him drive himself harder. Can't wait to see how our team responds next week. Especially Roo!
yep was probably down at linton street at 6 this morning practising goal kicking

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

mullet wrote:
saint75 wrote:
yep was probably down at linton street at 6 this morning practising goal kicking
In the dark?

Another opportunity awaits!
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

4 out of the 5 Sainters I chatted to today did not even care that we lost - that is a FIRST!
We still have the 2nd best streak in a season - that is very very rare and a wonderful effort. If we do win it - I will be talking for ever about the year we went within 2 points of perfection ..... no problem at all - as long as we WIN the FREAKIN THING!

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Personally I see this as a croc, that the weight has been lifted...does anyone really think that the weight is lighter when we are playing in a grand final? I find the loss disappointing, nothing more, nothing less.

We played particularly badly for 2 and a half quarters, hopefully the coaching staff know why and the players are embarrassed by those efforts for those 2 and a half quarters.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

mullet wrote:
saint75 wrote:
Don't laugh, that is not as far fetched as it sounds. I wouldn't have been at all surprised if he was down there at 5.00 am practising. He is a champion, make no mistake about it. I look forward to seeing him lead our team through the finals. Couldn't choose a better leader for our club if I had the choice of any player currently going around in the AFL with the possible exception of another of our own - Lenny Hayes.

Nick Maxwell could do with taking a leaf out of Roo's book! I still cannot believe the comments he made on the Sunday Morning show on Channel 7. If I ever saw Roo making p%$s weak comments like those, I would be the first one calling for his head on a platter!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

I agree to an extent, it wasn't a good performance by any stretch and so many of our star players just didn't play to close their level. But, we were 43 points down and still only lost by 2 points. It took our captain to shank the post-siren kick to seal the Bombers deal. Granted, they had one man on the bench, but to be 43 points up LATE in the third term, a good team should be able to defend that quite comfortably, it's not as if they only had 17 men on the park in the last term. To think that it was the most undeserved win we almost had still gives me confidence.

So, in context, we strangely still have a positive or two to take from that and if the only game we lose this year is by 2 points, I'll be a happy man.

Enough of the nice men in suits. Bring in some admin who demand success!