A wily old Lyon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Street Saint
Club Player

A wily old Lyon

Those of you who are worried about our loss to Essendon and throwing the baby out with the bath water have rocks in your head.

Lyon did things to engineer this loss, his job is not to make sure we have the greatest winning streak in history it is to deliver premiership success. Wether you believe in the theory or not, I have seen from junior footy all the way up to AFL teams that go undefeated only to lose when it matters most. Lyon knows this and has always been a stats and percentages man, playing the odds. He knows that the odds of holding the cup aloft this year are better now than they were at 4:40pm on Sunday.

That is all.
Last edited by Linton Street Saint on Mon 17 Aug 2009 1:43pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintlee
Club Player

Re: A wily old Lyon

Linton Street Saint wrote:Lyon did things to engineer this loss
I very much doubt this....but at least you're attempting to be glass half full

stinger
Saintsational Legend

with you on that...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

Linton Street Saint wrote:Those of you who are worried about our loss to Essendon and throwing the baby out with the bath water have rocks in your head.

Lyon did things to engineer this loss, his job is not to make sure we have the greatest winning streak in history it is to deliver premiership success. Wether you believe in the theory or not, I have seen from junior footy all the way up to AFL teams that go undefeated only to lose when it matters most. Lyon knows this has always been a stats and percentages man playing the odds. He knows that the odds of holding the cup aloft this year are better now than they were at 4:40pm on Sunday.

That is all.
From the outset having Fisher and Dempster in our forward line - our two better clearance halfbackers. Not tagging Watson

Lyon was finding out who had the balls to play finals footy and see who had the mental capacity to carry out their tasks.

Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Not sure he engineered it, but I dont think he will be to concerned about the loss

I love this club
ace
Saintsational Legend

Linton Street Saint wrote:Those of you who are worried about our loss to Essendon and throwing the baby out with the bath water have rocks in your head.

Lyon did things to engineer this loss,
Refused to tag Jobe Watson.
Jones out gave him an excuse but Dempster could have done the job.

Watson cut the Saints up because Dal Santo has no defensive focus.
Lyon still refused to tag Watson.

He may not have deliberately lost the game but he certainly did not do all he could to win.

He proved Ball can not play as a forward.
He proved that if Dal Santo is not tagged he can be hurt going the other way.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I do not believe that Lyon "enginneerd"a loss.

But I do believe his focus is now on the finals.

So players were probably faugued from extra training.

In additionn as noted above Lyon trieda few postioning experiemnts.

ace wrote:

Ball was trialled in Mini's role...and was shown not to be as good.

If Ball cannot be in and undera pack there is no-where else he can play at present.

Sam Fisher was also tried out up front.
Zac had to go with forwards not as big as him.

Gameplan was often "loose and attacking" rather than our normall full field preess..which clamped up well in the last quarter.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Moods
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:

He may not have deliberately lost the game but he certainly did not do all he could to win.

You're really not happy with Dal are you Ace? He was our best midfielder by a mile.

older saint
SS Life Member

Yes but his man a was BOG

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

It's impossible to say his man was BOG IMO...

Yes Dal Santo did spend time on Watson, but so did Hayes, Ball and just about every other midfielder, he killed them all. The fact is Essendon's midfield wanted it more until the last quarter, by that point it was too late...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Watson wasn't tagged - i don't think anyone actually played him tight.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:It's impossible to say his man was BOG IMO...

Yes Dal Santo did spend time on Watson, but so did Hayes, Ball and just about every other midfielder, he killed them all. The fact is Essendon's midfield wanted it more until the last quarter, by that point it was too late...
their rucks were on top, too, i thought.

did ryder's injury co-incide with us getting back into it a bit?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:

How many tackles has Dal Santo laid this year, Ace?

73 at nearly 4 a game with a season high 7 last night.

All from a bloke whose job it is to win the ball and dispose of it.

No defensive focus? Plain wrong.

Find another whipping boy.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
spert
Saintsational Legend

I think his opponent carved us up?

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

No one player played on Watson, if that's what you are suggesting. Fact was Watson beat about five opponents.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
eppo67
Club Player

Totally agree Linton St.

As I said in the Mini & CJ post,

"Lyon is a class act it is all in the planning for the big ones."

asiu

i'm in linton st's corner as well

a tad engineered

prior preparation & planning prevents piss poor performance

Country Kid
Club Player

samoht wrote:Watson wasn't tagged - i don't think anyone actually played him tight.
Only player tagged was Stanton for the 1st qtr and a half.

bozza1980
Club Player

So if Riewoldt kicks the goal after the siren we would be worse off than having him miss??

If we engineered a loss we are stupid.

If were worried about the "pressure" of hitting the finals 22-0 we are stupid.

We are no better or worse a chance of winning the flag than we were before the game. We still have to win 3 finals, at least 2 of them cut throat affairs. Their can't be anymore pressure than you lose you are out, this is the same if your home and away status was 13 - 9 or 22 - 0.

That said, and this is a key distinction, our best chance of winning in 6 weeks time may not have been best served by the preparing the best possible way for victory yesterday. I have no doubt our focus is on greater prizes than h&a wins that do not improve our ladder position.

The distinction being that not preparing wholeheartedy for victory is different to manufacturing a loss.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

bozza1980 wrote:So if Riewoldt kicks the goal after the siren we would be worse off than having him miss??

If we engineered a loss we are stupid.

If were worried about the "pressure" of hitting the finals 22-0 we are stupid.

We are no better or worse a chance of winning the flag than we were before the game. We still have to win 3 finals, at least 2 of them cut throat affairs. Their can't be anymore pressure than you lose you are out, this is the same if your home and away status was 13 - 9 or 22 - 0.

That said, and this is a key distinction, our best chance of winning in 6 weeks time may not have been best served by the preparing the best possible way for victory yesterday. I have no doubt our focus is on greater prizes than h&a wins that do not improve our ladder position.

The distinction being that not preparing wholeheartedy for victory is different to manufacturing a loss.
Played a Sydney third grade cricket final against Bankstown God knows how many years back. They had drawn a few during the year but had not lost a single game. Not one. We scratched into the final after pretty much fluking a win against St George (0/50- odd chaseing a medicre 220 all out, stormed overnight, covers leaked, green deck, skittled them for 130-ish from memory) and then fronted up the following week at Bankstown's home ground. Absolute belter of a deck. They won the toss and batted. We bowled them out for 72. Not particularly good bowling, just some really bad shots. We won by miles. Now I'm not for a second going top compare amateur lower grade cricket to AFL, but fact is expectation can weigh heavily in sport. Just ask the Cats. For mine, even if it isn't discussed, it can only be a distraction having the prospect of being undefeated floating around in the ether.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Quote today from Paul Roos on AFL.com:

SYDNEY Swans coach Paul Roos says his St Kilda counterpart Ross Lyon would have been “the happiest man in Australiaâ€

mullet
Saintsational Legend

[quote="thirty-seven!?"]Quote today from Paul Roos on AFL.com:

SYDNEY Swans coach Paul Roos says his St Kilda counterpart Ross Lyon would have been “the happiest man in Australiaâ€

suss
Club Player

[quote="thirty-seven!?"]Quote today from Paul Roos on AFL.com:

Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

As long as we win three finals games, I don't really mind if we are 19-3 or 20-2 or 21-1. I don't believe many people ask how many home and away games the 1966 team won. Focus on the big prize. We have nailed top spot and if you told me last year that we would be at least 19 and 3 and on top of the ladder having beaten every team in the competition, I would take it.

asiu

won't hurt roosies legend by ross winning flags

not the first word over the journey from roos either ......good mates as well i think

good for the two clubs ....further consolidate the good manners that we seem to treat each other with

hmmmmmm