What Do You Expect?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Milton66
SS Life Member

What Do You Expect?

2009 is the BEST I've seen this club perform at for nigh on 40 years.

1997 was dissapointing but very surreal and to a degree, novel.

2009 is different. This year I expect to win the flag. Therefore, I must admit that if we we don't... or god forbid, we lose on the big day, it will cut deeper than 97.

This year, we are as close as we have ever been. Even in 97, we did not have the eveness and consistancy that we have displayed this year. All previous years, my expectations were based on hope that we might somehow get to the big one.

Although we are definitaly moving in the right direction to challenge for the next few years, I reckon this is our best oppportunity yet.

This year I rate us at 85% + to win the flag.

What about you? Thoughts?

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

The very structure of your question is the difference between this year and years gone by. Expect.

Previously we all hoped. This year, we expect.

The difference between those two states of mind is a gaping chasm.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
bigred
Saintsational Legend

We are a shot.

A very good chance. I dont know if I can say that we are an 85 % chance but we are right up there. Its damn hard to win a premiership. Damn hard.

The one thing that sets us apart from the rest of the teams in the eight is that we are a lot more settled and less injured. Only the Filth can boast about a similar short injury list.

The way I look at it, for a few of the other teams in the eight, they would all need everything to go absolutely right for them to press for the flag.

We need to get back to our real pressure football. If we can get our gameplan retuned that extra 5% then we are looking good. The results in the next two weeks mean absolutely nothing unless we can get our pressure back to where it should be.

We are a shot. A real red hot go. We can match it with every side in the eight and have the gameplan to most definately win a grand final.

In Ross I trust.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
markp
Saintsational Legend

I'd expect that if you could replicate this scenario 10 times, we'd win it from here at least 7 or 8 of those times.

steph
Club Player

if we don't win the flag this year...... i firmly believe we may never win one.

winning the GF is the ONLY thing that will deem this year a successful one.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

No way I expect us to win the flag. I'd say 25%.....would be 50% if it was a club with a stronger history

Before I get blasted,it's Stkilda we are talking about...how many times have we been hurt. I won't believe it until I see it. Having said that,this is the best performed Stkilda side I have ever seen by a long way, but now September awaits...

1997 I thought we were absolute dead set certainties once we won the prelim. I mean Adelaide? They were no bodies. We destroyed everyone in the second half of games that year. I think the players thought the same thing and got destroyed after half time. Shattering

2005 for mine was the biggest certainty. A very very weak competition that year,weakest in living memory in my opinion. Sydney and West Coast were only good average sides and though they put on a tight GF,it was the worst standard football you will ever see,worthy of a clash of the bottom 4.
The flag was there for the taking in 05,a home prelim against an average interstate side,the umpries gave us the world,the players gave us absolutley NOTHING!! That one scarred me, the wounds are still there.
Because of this I will never expect Stkilda to win a flag until I actually witness it. I'll be giving my all in support from the outer and praying for the best,but "expect"...never

Bring back the Lockett era
yipper
SS Life Member

Our legendary coach Allan yabby Jeans has often said that winning a premiership is so damn difficult, it takes a lot of things to go right - one of them being luck.

He advocates that you must do all the preparation work, have talent, good strong gameplan, evenness in performance and flexibility in your structures, we have all this ticked off and we have a coach not unlike Jeans in Rossy who tries to do the basic things well - so the only ingredient still needed is ... luck!! If we can stay out of the medical room and keep our structures intact - then look out.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
Moods
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:No way I expect us to win the flag. I'd say 25%.....would be 50% if it was a club with a stronger history

Before I get blasted,it's Stkilda we are talking about...how many times have we been hurt. I won't believe it until I see it. Having said that,this is the best performed Stkilda side I have ever seen by a long way, but now September awaits...

1997 I thought we were absolute dead set certainties once we won the prelim. I mean Adelaide? They were no bodies. We destroyed everyone in the second half of games that year. I think the players thought the same thing and got destroyed after half time. Shattering

2005 for mine was the biggest certainty. A very very weak competition that year,weakest in living memory in my opinion. Sydney and West Coast were only good average sides and though they put on a tight GF,it was the worst standard football you will ever see,worthy of a clash of the bottom 4.
The flag was there for the taking in 05,a home prelim against an average interstate side,the umpries gave us the world,the players gave us absolutley NOTHING!! That one scarred me, the wounds are still there.
Because of this I will never expect Stkilda to win a flag until I actually witness it. I'll be giving my all in support from the outer and praying for the best,but "expect"...never
Agree 100% with everything you said Jonesy. Was thinking about the saints this morning, sometimes all I can think is positive stuff about how could we lose it from here? Then I shudder and think - what if we don't even make it? It's happened before, when I believed we were CLEARLY the best team in it in 05 (come finals)

WE took the comp by surprise this year. They will all have had a year to see what we did differently and adjust over pre-season. We simply HAVE to win it this year.

If we don't - I'll say it now. I'll be back Rd 1 2010, praying for improvement and hoping that 2010 will be our year :x

BaysideSaint
Club Player

i expect to make the grand final.

aussiejones
Club Player

"He advocates that you must do all the preparation work, have talent, good strong gameplan, evenness in performance and flexibility in your structures, we have all this ticked off and we have a coach not unlike Jeans in Rossy who tries to do the basic things well - so the only ingredient still needed is ... luck!!"

I think we can be assured Ross has done most things right to date.

Even the dropping of Ball and Hudgton this week as he must find out who will be in our best team for the finals.

The finals are like a mini season of high stakes games and we have witnessed some shockers .So anything can happen on the day, but all that can be done now is continue the preparation and repeat what we know works. We needed a hard game last week .

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I expect that we will make the grand final....

I also expect that we will give it our very best effort on the day, and whichever way the result falls, my expectation has been rewarded.

Darrel Baldock
Club Player

Let's not talk about our history, there is no encouragement there, only disappointment. it is feart of failing, yet again which gives rise to gloom. Let us just think of this side, which we all seem to agree is the best StKilda side since the1960's. I think so, too. it has a real shot at this. There is only Geelong who offer a threat and if we can bring our best form we can also beat Geelong. We can beat Collingwood and the doggies and the Blues and anyone else who fancies their chances. Essendon? Bring them on!

Ian Cooper was too thin
BaysideSaint
Club Player

i expect geelong to defeat collingwood as they did in the nab cup final and then for fevola to show liegh brown a thing or two.
whether it happens is yet to be determined but i would love for collingwood to go out in straight sets.

saintlee
Club Player

BaysideSaint wrote:i expect geelong to defeat collingwood as they did in the nab cup final and then for fevola to show liegh brown a thing or two.
whether it happens is yet to be determined but i would love for collingwood to go out in straight sets.
Top 4 teams rarely go out it straight sets....doubt it will happen this year either....

I think the top 3 in particular are well ahead of the rest this year

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

I expect that everyone on this forum is going to die at some stage in the future.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
BaysideSaint
Club Player

saintlee wrote:
BaysideSaint wrote:i expect geelong to defeat collingwood as they did in the nab cup final and then for fevola to show liegh brown a thing or two.
Top 4 teams rarely go out it straight sets....doubt it will happen this year either....

i disagree. normally i would agree but this year i disagree.
i think geelong are stronger than collingwood and by a fair distance.
i believe that carlton at their best can mix it with collingwood.

saintlee
Club Player

BaysideSaint wrote:
saintlee wrote:

i disagree. normally i would agree but this year i disagree.
i think geelong are stronger than collingwood and by a fair distance.
i believe that carlton at their best can mix it with collingwood.
Seems quite a few think Collingwood are pretenders.....I for one, am more concerned about them than the Cats.....but I would like nothing more than seeing the pies go out in straight sets....I don't think it will happen tho.....

66 Saints
Club Player

I'm confused. You mean I can be a Saints supporter AND have expectations of success? Until now I've lived my life thinking the two where mutually exclusive...

BaysideSaint
Club Player

yeah see i disagree saintlee but only slightly.
i believe that collingwood are essentially an immature list.
now everyone in the media will tell you that they are number two, but they aren't.
they aren't number two if you look at geelong in the way that you SHOULD look at geelong and not through black-and-white glasses.
geelong with all hands on deck are a very very good football team.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

BaysideSaint wrote:yeah see i disagree saintlee but only slightly.
i believe that collingwood are essentially an immature list.
now everyone in the media will tell you that they are number two, but they aren't.
they aren't number two if you look at geelong in the way that you SHOULD look at geelong and not through black-and-white glasses.
geelong with all hands on deck are a very very good football team.
The best 3 teams with 2 weeks to go are us, geelong and the pies. Dont worry the Pies are good and we will likely get them in the prelim so we will have to be back to our best by then.

barks4eva
Saintsational Legend

ONE WEEK AT A TIME

DO THE MATHS AND THE SQUARES ARE ALL ROOTED.
BaysideSaint
Club Player

good call plugger, barks.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

I expect to play finals this year.

That is all.

I would say what I WANT but apparently I do that too much according to some precious people on this forum
:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

widereceiver
Club Player

steph wrote:if we don't win the flag this year...... i firmly believe we may never win one.

I firmly disagree with your opinion stated elsewhere of the value or otherwise of Max Hudghton. I also disagree with your statement about our future prospects of flag success.
These, however, are opinions to which you are entitled, however mistaken they may be.

Conversely, it is incorrect to write...

"winning the GF is the ONLY thing that will deem..."

A thing cannot deem, since a thing cannot have an opinion.

Even if your opinions are wrong, there's no reason for your english to be.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
steph
Club Player

widereceiver wrote:
steph wrote:if we don't win the flag this year...... i firmly believe we may never win one.

I firmly disagree with your opinion stated elsewhere of the value or otherwise of Max Hudghton. I also disagree with your statement about our future prospects of flag success.
These, however, are opinions to which you are entitled, however mistaken they may be.

Conversely, it is incorrect to write...

"winning the GF is the ONLY thing that will deem..."

A thing cannot deem, since a thing cannot have an opinion.

Even if your opinions are wrong, there's no reason for your english to be.

you have just dug yourself a massive hole haven't you?

you have just used the term 'conversely' out of context.

you cannot disagree with someones opinions, then "conversely" pick on their grammar......

maybe the term, "furthermore", "in addition" or "moreover" would have been more appropriate.