Big deal!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintmania
Club Player

Big deal!

I really couldn't care less if we lose next week as well. You can say all you want about momentum but if people say that good form leading into the finals means nothing and that the season starts all over again, then the same applies to bad form. I think it is almost inevitable that the players would mentally switch off when there is nothing on the line. Its human nature. Surely, somewhere in their minds the need for self-preservation is lurking as no player wants to get injured now and miss the finals. The players have shown that when it gets serious, we are as good as it gets. Believe that, ignore all the doubters that will now come and wait until 5pm in two weeks time before we pass judgement on this team that is 19-2.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Winning contested ball is a habit.

We've lost the habit, and lost it BADLY.

Without the habit, we'll go out in straight sets, absolutely no doubt.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Saintmania
Club Player

Thinline wrote:Winning contested ball is a habit.

I'd argue that its based almost entirely on motivation. If you don't really want it, you won't try your hardest to get it. Do you really think that will be a problem against the Bulldogs?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

What I have liked in the last 2 weeks is the way we have worked our way back into the contest after being down and out - ok not great that we have been down and out in the first place however it shows that we have a never say die attitude when our backs are against the wall - which is a great attribute to have going into finals

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
starsign
Club Player

Saintmania wrote:

I'd argue that its based almost entirely on motivation. If you don't really want it, you won't try your hardest to get it. Do you really think that will be a problem against the Bulldogs?
that's exactly right
it's what DRIVES you to do it that counts , it comes from upstairs !

Dal_Santos_Gal
Saintsational Legend

I don't like to be negative and I am hoping it all changes in the next 5 weeks but I happen to agree in some way
The past 2 weeks we have been badly beaten in Contested ball, Tackles and Clearances.

3 vital ingredients to win the flag, without them any team is going to beaten on them stats and will just make up the numbers in September.
We just lost to a side who had won 1 game in 11 and sits 13th on the ladder, its a little alarming if you ask me.

I am not sitting comfortable at all with what I have witnessed these last 2 rounds. Coming back is one thing but it was against 13th and at the time 9th. Its going to be a lot hardier against a Collingwood, Geelong or Western bulldogs.

Lets just hope its the wake up call and makes them more hungrier than ever before. Those 3 key ingredients that they have prided themselves on all season needs to come back and come back QUICK!

In Ross Get lost!

I am excited to stay at St Kilda and this is a great result for the Club and all our fans. I’m proud to be part of the Saints and am pleased to be playing football with the Clubâ€
Beej
Saintsational Legend

The thing is with losing is that doubts creep into the mind and the confidence, which was at a high before the Bombers loss, would have now taken a fair hit you would think.

Still, as quickly as a loss can do that to a side, a win can do exactly the opposite just as quickly.

Need to win our first final or we could be looking at the most incredible collapse in AFL history.

starsign
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:What I have liked in the last 2 weeks is the way we have worked our way back into the contest after being down and out - ok not great that we have been down and out in the first place however it shows that we have a never say die attitude when our backs are against the wall - which is a great attribute to have going into finals
I felt like that against the Dons, and that it was a collective dynamic within the team that nearly got us over the line

but rather got the impression they thought someONE will win this for us today

anyone else feel that??

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Hey all you neverous Nellies.

Perhaps this is all part of Pre Finals Training?

A build up in training leading to poor on field results.

Training should taper off this week or next, and the players will no doubt have a lot more energy to win the contested ball than they do now.

Fear not, it's all part of the big picture!

marksnsparks
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Hey all you neverous Nellies.

Training should taper off this week or next, and the players will no doubt have a lot more energy to win the contested ball than they do now.

Geez, hope you're right....

kalsaint
Club Player

starsign wrote:
Devilhead wrote:What I have liked in the last 2 weeks is the way we have worked our way back into the contest after being down and out - ok not great that we have been down and out in the first place however it shows that we have a never say die attitude when our backs are against the wall - which is a great attribute to have going into finals
I felt like that against the Dons, and that it was a collective dynamic within the team that nearly got us over the line

but rather got the impression they thought someONE will win this for us today

anyone else feel that??

Yes feelings exactly. I also believe that this loss was not just about motivation or effort.

The skills shown today and the lack of run at times to clear oppo pressurewas lacking so had the tackle count reversed on us.

If we allow this in finals be prepared to go out in 2 as other sides will also be motivated by finals. Do not underestimate them.

We were second in the ladder since the break and North were last. We are now only 1 game better than the Bullies last 8 games (despite all the media hype on the Bullies drop in form over the last 3 weeks).

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
StSteven
Club Player

We are no longer looking invincible. This gives other sides confidence that they can beat us. I don't like it and I am sure the team and coaches don't either. Nothing intentional in that game.

Bloo*y lowly Nth Melbourne also. !!!!

Hughjarce
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:Hey all you neverous Nellies.

Winning form is good form and at the moment the Saints arent in winning form.

Has nothing to d with pre finals training that is a complete beat up! Lyon would be absolutely pissed with the application of some players. We had a lot of passengers today.

I would rather have lost the first 2 games of the season then won the last 19, we have lost momentum at the climax of the season and can no longer rest on out laurels. Look at Collingwood they are deservedly the form team in the comp with complete team performances.

Next week worries me because it is a weak preparation for the finals as the Dees do not want to win and the Saints have no incentive. A weak game to end the year.

Make no mistake we are losing form at the wrong end of the season.

To accomplish great things we must not only act but also dream, not only plan but also believe.
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Extremely concerned now. We'll wait and see what happens,but the Launceston rested game may cost us the season if the last two weeks are anything to go by. Then again...it might be a god send,time will tell,but atm,not feeling confident with what I'm seeing

Bring back the Lockett era
widereceiver
Club Player

Ask yourself this.

Can a team which won 19 games in a row playing "Saints football" suddenly become as lame and inept as the one of the last two weeks?

I don't believe so.

I don't understand what is going on behind the scenes but I have faith in the coaches and the players who won those 19 games. All the crap the media have gone on with since before the Hawks game is just that - speculative crap.

I remember in '05, watching the Swans run over us in the last quarter - RL was their midfield coach and Misson was their fitness coach - wondering why my team couldn't raise a gallop.

I think they know what's going on more than all the people calling for the heads of various players and/or predicting we will go out in two straight!

Get a grip! or alternatively, get your hand off it.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
santazzi
Club Player

I am not concerned. We have top spot. We cannot go any higher. What is the point of getting the head over the ball or putting the body online to win the contested ball when the out come of the game means nothing and the potential for injury to our stars is so high.........come on guys...worry if the sainters play like this in the first final game.........I do not think they will...........