Live Streaming

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Live Streaming

Notice the media non-savvy AFL are trying to ban streaming sites. With the demise of Setanta here, and the fact that ESPN are not providing the same service, there is nothing for UK fans. That is no doubt the same in other territories.

If the AFL did their site properly, or gave a recognised provider the rights, I would gladly pay. But they are stuck in the 70's with their approach. Anyone else OS have the same problems and gripes as me? I've complained about it to them for years.

How can a bloke in a loungeroom come up with a better service than the AFL or Telstra.....? Honestly. it is s**t. If I can't watch on Sunday I'll spew!
Last edited by Verdun66 on Fri 04 Sep 2009 5:52pm, edited 1 time in total.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

They will never be able to stop it, as long as there is someone in Tasmania willing to host the streaming it will always go on.

But as you have said the AFL need to get with the times and offer a better service, particularly for O/S fans...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

It's typical Telstra trying to get their customers to conform to them rather than the opposite.

Being only a 100k's from their main servers on a 10Mbps service, it's horrible, jerky and constantly buffing, for a low resolution, but yet I can connect to a US site 3000ls away and it streams seemlessly at a higher resolution.

It is really pathetic service, below par from a company that tries to make it self known as a world leader.. It's laughable.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I live in Qatar and we are getting all 4 games this week live on showtime arabia - we usually get 2 games live each week but am pretty happy about them stepping up to the plate and showing all finals - that said I will be in the UK for the prelim and I am not happy that I wont be able to watch it live :evil:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
hotdish
Club Player

Devilhead wrote:I live in Qatar and we are getting all 4 games this week live on showtime arabia - we usually get 2 games live each week but am pretty happy about them stepping up to the plate and showing all finals - that said I will be in the UK for the prelim and I am not happy that I wont be able to watch it live :evil:
I love the irony of getting all finals live overseas, when in some parts of the ACT, you get it on delay to the shizen.

Torrents will forever live, and the AFL cannot do anything to stop it!

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:It's typical Telstra trying to get their customers to conform to them rather than the opposite.

Being only a 100k's from their main servers on a 10Mbps service, it's horrible, jerky and constantly buffing, for a low resolution, but yet I can connect to a US site 3000ls away and it streams seemlessly at a higher resolution.

It is really pathetic service, below par from a company that tries to make it self known as a world leader.. It's laughable.

No one else will do it. Telstra competitors just sit back and bag Telstra for what they put up but when it comes to the crunch they don't cough up and have a crack at their own product.

Meanwhile they sell phones below cost to 'buy' mkt share and the end result is a creditors meeting and 5c in the dollar.

THAT annoys me far more than crap buffering.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
jmcp
Club Player

hotdish wrote:
Devilhead wrote:I live in Qatar and we are getting all 4 games this week live on showtime arabia - we usually get 2 games live each week but am pretty happy about them stepping up to the plate and showing all finals - that said I will be in the UK for the prelim and I am not happy that I wont be able to watch it live :evil:
I love the irony of getting all finals live overseas, when in some parts of the ACT, you get it on delay to the shizen.

skytv nz in their infinite ignorance has schedule the saints v pies game at 11am on monday. four finals, one game live being tomorrow arvo's game.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:No one else will do it.
Telstra brought the rights to it so no one else can do it. But the reason non profit streaming is so popular is because the telstra service is so s***.

Schillaci
Club Player

jmcp wrote:
hotdish wrote:

skytv nz in their infinite ignorance has schedule the saints v pies game at 11am on monday. four finals, one game live being tomorrow arvo's game.
I have phoned sky twice. Initially when the first 3 finals were scheduled to be screened with no coverage at all of the Saints game on the G Guide and secondly to complain that a delayed coverage on Monday is disappointing in that I'll be at work and the sky technician who set up our tv was unable to do it so we could tape anything off sky....so could they reschedule to Sunday's programming even if delayed...their response was that another technician will be in touch in the next 72 hours (got another 40 to go) and they will register my complaint with programming...in other words I'm screwed.

jmcp
Club Player

Schillaci wrote:
jmcp wrote:
hotdish wrote:

I have phoned sky twice. Initially when the first 3 finals were scheduled to be screened with no coverage at all of the Saints game on the G Guide and secondly to complain that a delayed coverage on Monday is disappointing in that I'll be at work and the sky technician who set up our tv was unable to do it so we could tape anything off sky....so could they reschedule to Sunday's programming even if delayed...their response was that another technician will be in touch in the next 72 hours (got another 40 to go) and they will register my complaint with programming...in other words I'm screwed.
here's what i put on our forum, an enquiry i sent to sky tv:

Customer 02/09/2009 05.47 PM
Hi there,

Can you pls tell me how you determine which AFL final is shown live or delayed and if the latter, the timeslot?

Does someone who does the Sky programming understand the AFL finals series schedule? e.g. The game scheduled for delayed coverage on Monday next week is between first and fourth. I can appreciate there is a lot of sport on and you will be contractually obligated to broadcast other sports events and AFL being a minority sport here but surely better timeslots can be picked.

Kind regards,
Response (SKY Customer Services Team) 03/09/2009 11.47 AM
Hello

Below is the schedule for SKY's coverage of the AFL Playoffs. Please check the EPG (electronic programming guide) for updates.

Elimination Final #1: Adelaide v Essendon Delayed 5/09/2009 10:00 SKY Sport 3
Qualifying Final #2: Geelong Cats v Western Bulldogs LIVE 5/09/2009 16:00 SKY Sport 3
Elimination Final #2: Brisbane Lions v Carlton Delayed 6/09/2009 10:00 SKY Sport 3
Qualifying Final #1: St Kilda v Collingwood Delayed 7/09/2009 11:00 SKY Sport 3

Please feel free to contact SKY Television Customer Services on 0800 759 759 for further information, alternatively please respond via return email and we will endeavour to reply within 24 hours.

With kind regards,

SKY Customer Services Team
Customer 03/09/2009 01.32 PM
Thank you for the response but this does not answer my original question. I know when the coverage is because I use your online guide, that is not the answer I was seeking.

I would like to understand what influences the programming of the games and whether those who do the programming understand the relative importance of each game.

Thanks,
Response (SKY Customer Services Team) 03/09/2009 02.00 PM
Hello

SKY's coverage of the Grand Final Saturday September 26th starts with the AFL Grand Final Breakfast at 10am and then the Grand Final kicks off at 16:30pm LIVE on Sports 3. The weekend is always a very hectic time for sports scheduling due to so many live events coming through. We understand that television viewing is subjective and any decision we take is never done so lightly but we do have to try and cater to all sporting codes that we have rights to and offer a wide selection of programmes. Unfortunately this will please some customers while frustrating others.

With kind regards,

SKY Customer Services Team
:roll:

i think adrian anderson personally responded.

they are not very sharp at sky tv.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:They will never be able to stop it, as long as there is someone in Tasmania willing to host the streaming it will always go on.

But as you have said the AFL need to get with the times and offer a better service, particularly for O/S fans...
Why does it have to be Tasmania? It could be from any state that has live coverage couldn't it?

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
Ape_Man
Club Player

I have fought the AFL tooth and nail with the media streaming. Apparently, as a Mac user, I am a second class citizen whom they lock out from online radio broadcasts because they can't guarantee the 'security' of the stream like they can with the Windows only protocols. I can't believe they managed to work out how to stop people 'taping' radio broadcasts. They should let the RIAA know in the states - they'll make a fortune from their security breakthroughs.

Yet somehow I can still get the games. Amazing.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

ausfatcat wrote:
Telstra brought the rights to it so no one else can do it. But the reason non profit streaming is so popular is because the telstra service is so s***.
Ah. But CAN anyone else do it?

To he exent required, that is.

Surely there is room for better technology.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
battye
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:
ausfatcat wrote:
Ah. But CAN anyone else do it?

Of course any company CAN do it. If Telstra or any company wanted to they could make a very good online stream. But presumably Telstra has exclusive online media rights in Australia, so no other company would do it... and clearly Telstra have no desire to make what they have currently any better.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

Thinline wrote:Ah. But CAN anyone else do it?

Theres many companies that do it (but not for AFL because they don't have the broadcast rights), and then there the garage streamers and there is at least three that I know of that broadcasrt AFL games illegally hundreds of times better than what Telstra do and are hosted overseas. That is the fustrating thing, one AFL computer nerd fan, can provide a better streaming service than what a multi billion dollar telecoms company can, it's rediculous and defies belief.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Note that usual sites not showing cats v dogs......absolute bs! I find it appalling that you can't see games. Making my blood boil...

matrix
Saintsational Legend

of course its a rort
its meant to be

lets either give them crap or nothing
what u gonna choose?

prob one of the worst b/bands in the developed nations

hackers will always hack
never fear 8-)

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:Note that usual sites not showing cats v dogs......absolute bs! I find it appalling that you can't see games. Making my blood boil...
Noticed that, and also notice there's only ever a few hundred people on it, world wide. Like that's gonna break the bank FFS.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Thinline wrote:
No one else will do it. Telstra competitors just sit back and bag Telstra for what they put up but when it comes to the crunch they don't cough up and have a crack at their own product.

Meanwhile they sell phones below cost to 'buy' mkt share and the end result is a creditors meeting and 5c in the dollar.

THAT annoys me far more than crap buffering.
Sorry Thinline that's a croc, you must had shares in One.Tel
forget about the crap video streaming...they deliberately throttle the bandwidth available. Why Spend money on something when you have no competition, well legal competition anyway.
But the killer was in the very early days, before tel$tra got their hands on the AFL you used to be able to listen to radio streaming, and there was never a problem, even on 56kb. As soon as it switched over from the individual stations, they upped the bandwidth stream making it impossible to listen to on slow connections, which then forces you to onto broadband.
Thats' if it is available to your house, tough if it isnt.
The quicker we have this NBN up a running the better.
Die tel$tra die

Seeya
Milne
Club Player

Verdun66 wrote:Note that usual sites not showing cats v dogs......absolute bs! I find it appalling that you can't see games. Making my blood boil...
I had no problems finding a decent stream today

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

If I had time I'd watch Lions - Blues now. But I've had no problems with the three games and don't anticipate any tomorrow.

Furtius Quo Rdelious