So what then does RL ask Eddy to do?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

So what then does RL ask Eddy to do?

I know it's another Eddy thread, but it's a question no one seems to want to answer and I'd like it answered because not knowing really annoys me.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
spert
Saintsational Legend

Do more than Milne and Shneider in the finals -almost done that.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: So what then does RL ask Eddy to do?

Thinline wrote:I know it's another Eddy thread, but it's a question no one seems to want to answer and I'd like it answered because not knowing really annoys me.
Will be matched up on Joel Corey or Corey Enright or Andrew Mackie. Ross will instruct Rob to make his opponent accountable for him and not allow him to be 3rd man up against Kosi or Rooey !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

run straight at Gary Abblet with an elbow

DWOODROW
Club Player

Make sure his uniform is ironed nicely.

Milton66
SS Life Member

CAn we just F*** of with the Eddy threads? Get over it FFS. :twisted: :roll:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
DWOODROW
Club Player

:roll: :roll:

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Milton66 wrote:CAn we just F*** of with the Eddy threads? Get over it FFS. :twisted: :roll:
I'm asking a simple question and it's a serious one. What is Eddy's role?

Everyone goes on about it like it's assumed knowledge.

I simply want a better strategist than I to define it.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
reincarnated

Thinline wrote:
Milton66 wrote:CAn we just F*** of with the Eddy threads? Get over it FFS. :twisted: :roll:
I'm asking a simple question and it's a serious one. What is Eddy's role?

Everyone goes on about it like it's assumed knowledge.

I simply want a better strategist than I to define it.
2nd defensive pressure player in our forward half along with MCQ

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:
Thinline wrote:I know it's another Eddy thread, but it's a question no one seems to want to answer and I'd like it answered because not knowing really annoys me.
Will be matched up on Joel Corey or Corey Enright or Andrew Mackie. Ross will instruct Rob to make his opponent accountable for him and not allow him to be 3rd man up against Kosi or Rooey !!
His opponent will only be accountable for him if Eddy draws the ball. If his opponent doesn't think Eddy will get it or believes that the saints players don't have the confidence to give him the ball, ie Kosi in 3rd 1/4, then Eddy serves no real purpose to the team.

Moose
SS Hall of Fame

spert wrote:Do more than Milne and Shneider in the finals -almost done that.
bulls*** !!

This forum just proves NO ONE knows anything about football......
reincarnated

Moods wrote:
Eastern wrote:
His opponent will only be accountable for him if Eddy draws the ball. If his opponent doesn't think Eddy will get it or believes that the saints players don't have the confidence to give him the ball, ie Kosi in 3rd 1/4, then Eddy serves no real purpose to the team.
Jesus Christ no offence to Rob but if he gets matched up on Corey, Enright or Mackie either/all of those players will have huge games

Considering Rob Eddy gets none of the football why would anybody match up on him going forward anyway? Even his team mates do not kick it to him

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Eddy is the "decoy" forward/midfielder. His job is to create space for Roo and Kosi by taking his opponent way from the contests, then make sure he is accountable by creating pressure in the front half. His role will be to make sure one of the cats rebounding defenders is negated, while making sure his opponent doesn't get in the way of our key forwards. Judging him on this criteria, he has been ok in the finals. Clearly RL and his match committee think that as well. His has a very specific role in RL's "structures". Hope this helps!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

At last !

Thank you.

StPeter
Club Player

Hopefully asks Eddy to watch from the stands.

Milton66
SS Life Member

He says: Now listen up lovechild... go out and play like crap because we need to deflect attention from Raph, and make you the new SS whipping boy.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

I don't mind Eddy.
I know he had a couple of ordinary games but he is very hard at the ball.
I trust RL we have won 22 games this year remember, he must know what he is doing.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
The darkness
Club Player

Unless Eddy can hurt them on the scoreboard or create goal assists, the Cat rebounders will be rubbing there filthy little paws.
Am yet to be witness to the pressure he creates or his tackling skills or chasing skills to run blokes down so am still curious to his role as well.
Creating space ? Why not just get the farkin footy and do something with it ? Would love to be able to play AFL get under 10 possies a game at half forward, not kick goals and just make space.
He is the weak link that will be identified by the opposition and they will exploit the fact !

starsign
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Eddy is the "decoy" forward/midfielder. His job is to create space for Roo and Kosi by taking his opponent way from the contests, then make sure he is accountable by creating pressure in the front half. His role will be to make sure one of the cats rebounding defenders is negated, while making sure his opponent doesn't get in the way of our key forwards. Judging him on this criteria, he has been ok in the finals. Clearly RL and his match committee think that as well. His has a very specific role in RL's "structures". Hope this helps!
thanks for that as I was wondering a bit about his actual role too
This sounds a prety good explanation to me and the cap seems to fit, as Roo and Kozi generally have good space to lead into unless the opposition put an extra man down there
So I guess you'd have to say it's been working , and I'm for "if it aint broke don't try and fix it" !
We have been very settled and i recon that's the way RL has planned it....
and barring unforseen injury ....NO change!

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

well as one of the biggest critics of Ross Lyon, he's made the hard decisions and its worked.

if the players aren't doing what they are told they dont get a game.

and everything i've accused him has been reassessed.

myth 1. demspter always gets a game. no was dropped.
myth 2. ball is finished. no earned his spot.
myth 3. baker is finished. baker is the no.1 or no.2 tagger at the club.
myth 4. attacking football is finished at st kilda. we are the 3rd highest scoring team in the competition
myth 5. RL wont make hard decisions, ball, dempster, max are just 3 that stand out.

if eddy gets selected im supporting RL.

if we do fail its because we weren't good enough on the day, not because we didn't do our damn best to win.

as for why are we scoring low atm? the reason is other teams are copying our style, which is the ultimate testament to RLs coachings when collingwood, adelaide and footscray deploy RLs tactics.

so back to eddy, if eddy's selected then RL has put out the best team for the win.

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

To be fair, Ross usually gives someone a run at it for a couple of games in succession to find some form....