Why we lost

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Why we lost

1. Our one big advantage over every other team has been Nick and Kosi and plenty of contested marks on the forward line. It rained in this grand final more than any other for more than 50 years. No-one can take above head contested marks in these conditions. Nick tried to take contested pack "chest marks" and Kosi missed two down low. Big blokes who contest in the wet can still be very valuable IF they adjust and knock the ball rather than try to mark it AND runners are good enough to read the play, pick it up and kick truly. Neither happened.

2. Our kicking for goal has been poor all year. Whilst luck can play a part, skill is the most important factor. That said, we probably needed just one of those that we missed in the final quarter to have begun to break Geelong.

3. Unlike last year, Geelong could not miss for goal. They will think it is their just desserts, but I doubt that Hawthorn will be handing over their flag to us. I have always thought that Paul Chapman is by far the most dangerous player at Geelong, one which requires a super star to keep out of the game. His ability to kick hard crunch goals was the difference.

And so, another year, another disappointment. I hope all those who staked so much on a win today can take some solace from the 22 games we won. It is true that I have seen a flag and to some extent, the disappointment is not as great. It is why I have said to those who have suggested that the H&A series is irrelevant that they should not put all their eggs in one basket. Our improvement this year has been there for all to see. A number of players stepped up and a few more will have to do it next year if we are to go one step further.

I believe we will have seen the last game for the Saints from two or three players today.

Don't take it too hard and enjoy what is bound to be at least 6 months of continuous daytime sunshine.

Go Saints!
Last edited by perfectionist on Sat 26 Sep 2009 8:22pm, edited 2 times in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why we lost

perfectionist wrote:1. Our one big advantage over every other team has been Nick and Kosi and plenty of contested marks on the forward line. It rained in this grand final more than any other for more than 50 years. No-one can take above head contested marks in these conditions. Nick tried to take contested pack "chest marks" and Kosi missed two down low. Big blokes who contest in the wet can still be very valuable IF they adjust and knock the ball rather than try to mark it AND runners are good enough to read the play, pick it up and kick truly. Neither happened.

2. Our kicking for goal has been poor all year. Whilst luck can play a part, skill is the most important factor. That said, we probably needed just one of those that we missed in the final quarter to have begun to break Geelong.

3. Unlike last year, Geelong could not miss for goal. They will think it is their just desserts, but I doubt that Hawthorn will be handing over their flag to us.

And so, another year, another disappointment. I hope all those who staked so much on a win today can take some solace from the 22 games we won. It is true that I have seen a flag and to some extent, the disappointment is not as great. It is why I have said to those who have suggested that the H&A series is irrelevant that they should not put all their eggs in one basket. Our improvement this year has been there for all to see. A number of players stepped up and a few more will have to do it next year if we are to go one step further.

I believe we will have the last game for the Saints from two or three players today.

Don't take it too hard and enjoy what is bound to be at least 6 months of continuous daytime sunshine.

Go Saints!
It wasn't the wettest GF in 50 years......go back to 2003 and it hailed/rained/was freezing for most of that game also.

Also - who do think has played their last game for us, apart from Max??

lefty
Club Player

1. Kicking for goal (So many easy shots got missed).

2. Luck (That turnover last quarter, dawson punches it off ablett, ball goes forward, rebounds off Rooke, straight to Ablett).

3. Weather

We were the better team on the day, unfortunately we lost. Guess the only thing to remember for the guys is that they were the better team, they know it, and next year we better be back.

Russman
Club Player

Missing those shots. Should have been 3 or 4 goals up at half time.
There is nothing like scoreboard pressure to put pressure on the oppossition and force cahnges.

Do , or Do not , There is no try.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Re: Why we lost

saintspremiers wrote:...
It wasn't the wettest GF in 50 years......go back to 2003 and it hailed/rained/was freezing for most of that game also.

Also - who do think has played their last game for us, apart from Max??
I was at the 2003 GF and the weather was nothing like that in today's GF (which I also attended), but does it matter? The salient point remains valid.

Ross has shown that he will do what is required to fix weaknesses. I expect that approach to continue. I suggest you wait for trade week.

Goodbye till next year.

Go Saints!

kalsaint
Club Player

lefty wrote:
We were the better team on the day, unfortunately we lost. Guess the only thing to remember for the guys is that they were the better team, they know it, and next year we better be back.
This is a far better memory to take away from the final today instead of bottling up the feelings experienced by the loss. The latter mean nothing the next year despite how the media drum beats.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
sainter123
Club Player

one of the players that i reckon plyed his last game is dempster.
aint quick enough skillful enough or tall enought.
he isnt out standing at anything and thats why he found it so hard today.
normally a player stands out in a particular aspect of the game.
another player which may of played his last game today is raph clarke he showed today that he isnt cut out to play at afl level. his stats may look good on paper but his missed tackles and mistakes really hurt us.
one thing which was upseing was getting turnes inside out on the wing by shannon byrnes.
apart from this the boys did well and i believe that the next three years and beyond will be good ones for the red white and black.

lefty
Club Player

sainter123 wrote:one of the players that i reckon plyed his last game is dempster.
another player which may of played his last game today is raph clarke he showed today that he isnt cut out to play at afl level. his stats may look good on paper but his missed tackles and mistakes really hurt us.
one thing which was upseing was getting turnes inside out on the wing by shannon byrnes.
apart from this the boys did well and i believe that the next three years and beyond will be good ones for the red white and black.
I thought Dempster was great. Ralph was alright.

If you had to choose the worst for the team, I'd say F.Ray... not that I like saying it :S

Still all our players were better than Steve Johnson.

kalsaint
Club Player

lefty wrote:
sainter123 wrote:one of the players that i reckon plyed his last game is dempster.

If you had to choose the worst for the team, I'd say F.Ray... not that I like saying it :S

ead right.
Yes some players maybe disappointed with their performance but Geelong had their fair share of passengers today too. The pressure from both sides was great as shown by the tackle count (96 Geelong and 118 Saints). The scoreline accuracy from simple shots was the greatest issue.

Both coaches said during the week that the team who takes makes the best of their opportuntities will win. This was Geelong today.

Midfield clearances and clear winners are needed to make an effective forward line.

You need to protect the ball handler to increase posession efficiency
S.A Saint
Club Player

lefty wrote:

dont want to bag anyone of our players ill just say that clarke was not alright and special mentions to fray( didnt know he even played) schneider, milne, mini after the 1st quarter and dawson

Voyager
Club Player

Russman wrote:Missing those shots. Should have been 3 or 4 goals up at half time.
There is nothing like scoreboard pressure to put pressure on the oppossition and force cahnges.
Agree on that one, we had them at half time, we had the pressure and the game to outplay them, but missing shots were costly.

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Kicking for goal was the only major reason we lost, they missed a couple, we shanked a heap.

linz
Club Player

I think Milne should go. No point keeping players who can't perform in finals.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
lefty
Club Player

linz wrote:I think Milne should go. No point keeping players who can't perform in finals.
I dont think so, the problem is we play at the Dome with a roof, so how many games did we actually play in the wet?

Imo, its football and the roof should be open whether its rain, hail or shine, but the spectators dont want that, so thats the way it is.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

yep, plain and simple - missing bread and butter shots for goal costs football games.

otherwise, we did everything possible to win that game.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
battye
Saintsational Legend

lefty wrote:
linz wrote:I think Milne should go. No point keeping players who can't perform in finals.
I dont think so, the problem is we play at the Dome with a roof, so how many games did we actually play in the wet?

Imo, its football and the roof should be open whether its rain, hail or shine, but the spectators dont want that, so thats the way it is.
In 2010 hopefully we get a few extra games at the MCG. I guess we'll never know, but perhaps adapting to the conditions and especially kicking into the forward line was a factor today.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
marksnsparks
Club Player

WTF!!

Everyone is hanging s*** on Milne, but he has demonstrated he can improve massively, e.g. this year.

He bleeds red white and black, give him another year to prove himself.

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Milne should go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jesus. Kosi, Roo, anyone else. Maybe Clarke or Baldock or Breen.
Don't put the acid on one player. There were lots of ordinary efforts today.
When the game was there to be one, we screwed up big time.
Good St Kilda effort. remember 1971 and 1997.
I do.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
linz
Club Player

lefty wrote:

If only we played Grand Finals at the dome!
Sorry Milne has had more than enough finals chances whether it's wet or dry.

I once spent a year in Adelaide, I think it was on a Sunday.
battye
Saintsational Legend

marksnsparks wrote:WTF!!

Everyone is hanging s*** on Milne, but he has demonstrated he can improve massively, e.g. this year.

He bleeds red white and black, give him another year to prove himself.
People are looking for a scapegoat.

Milne is a required player, not sure how many goals he got this year but he is one of the best small forwards / forward pockets in the league.

donthglfa
Club Player

S.A Saint wrote:
lefty wrote:

dont want to bag anyone of our players ill just say that clarke was not alright and special mentions to fray( didnt know he even played) schneider, milne, mini after the 1st quarter and dawson

100%

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Its simple why we lost , Geelong are a very very good team, we are just a bunch of pretenders !

degruch
Saintsational Legend

mr six o'clock wrote:Its simple why we lost , Geelong are a very very good team, we are just a bunch of pretenders !
Bloody good pretenders IMO...clearly the best team in 2009.

battye
Saintsational Legend

Both teams are very, very good. The heartbreaking truth is that there was only going to be one winner, and I think from the outset it was always going to be 50/50. There is not a lot separating Geelong and St Kilda, the question will be if Geelong has peaked or not.

I think St Kilda can and will get better.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

WHY WE LOST? TOO MUCH DEPENDENCE ON ROO.

He kicked us into the Grand Final, Geelong knew this, triple teamed him!

Geelong stopped his 3-4 goals, and therefore stopped the saints. The others had chances to compensate but did not come up with the goods.

Saint Nick can not do it all.

Apart from that we did well, our defence held given the pressure, apart from a few hiccups and close calls. Our Mids were getting the ball forward.